Underhill Memories

The best threads archived for eternal enjoyment.
chrisoffbeat

Re: Underhill Memories

Fave memories: Sutton H 87/88... Sir KA's hatrick in the last 3 mins... the 3-2 home win against Crewe in 93/94, the best Barnet performance I've ever seen against a classy team, last minute Spike winner, despite Crewe scoring two crackers through Naylor and Hignett we were unstoppable, that team had everything... Boxing Day 86, Enfailed at home, Coxy blaster to win 1-0 in front of the biggest crowd by miles I had ever seen at Underhill, the start of the good times... Chelmsford and their hoolies in 89, taking the West Bank ;( ... a friend of mine getting thrown out for chanting 'Birmingham 6 Guildford 4' at a policeman in a midweek game in the late 80s... on a similar note, someone putting a fork through the hand of a Bristol Rovers fan in the Red Lion pre the FA-cup tie in 85... the friendly to celebrate opening of new floodlights when we outplayed a full strength Arsenal team... banter with stalwart Conference goalies Dave Ryan and Dave Mogg... Bobby Barnes open-goal miss in the Northampton cup tie in 91, how we laughed... staying up 2 years ago vs Vale, just unbelievable...

Best goals: Paul Harding vs Wycombe, Frank Murphy vs Welling, Sean Devine vs Norwich, Clarky vs Cheltenham in 91, a half-volley that almost broke the net, Derek Payne vs Cardiff 1993

Fave players: Sir Nicky Evans, Andy Clarke, Edgar Davids, Clovis Kamdjo, Gary Phillips, Nicky Bailey, Derek Payne, Frank 'Macca' Murphy, Kenny Lowe, Dougie Freedman, Paul Wilson
bromaner

Yes I remember the Chelmsford hoolies in the FA Cup. I was 12 and remember moving off the West Bank to the terrace on the left to what is now the family stand after they let off a smoke bomb! I also look back with fondness when I was one of the mascots for the Steve Mahoney benefit game v Luton around 1988. It was the same squad that beat Arsenal in the then littlewoods cup final. I got to take a few shots at our keeper Steve Humphries in front of the West Bank before kick off. Also I saw Sammy Margo the physio on Sky Sports News earlier this afternoon talking about Bale's current ankle injury. I always remember when she was our physio early in her career and the wolf whistles she got from the crowd and all the players going down with mystery groin injuries.
stevedavis

one memory that really sticks with me is the fa cup 1st round? game vs woking in 94/95. I can still remember being extremely pissed off at half time and contemplating going home early only to see us go for it big style in the second half and draw level and then freedman hitting a one on one straight at their keeper at 4-4 with only minutes left, what a game! shame the replay was a pile of shite (and televised if i remember correctly)
Doyley

Was that the year the old boy in the woking end had a heart attack, a helicopter landed on the cricket ground to help him. I seem to recall we played woking in the cup two years running, so may have been the other year. Sure reckless will set me straight !
rudebwoyben

chrisoffbeat wrote:Fave memories: Sutton H 87/88... Sir KA's hatrick in the last 3 mins... the 3-2 home win against Crewe in 93/94, the best Barnet performance I've ever seen against a classy team, last minute Spike winner, despite Crewe scoring two crackers through Naylor and Hignett we were unstoppable, that team had everything... Boxing Day 86, Enfailed at home, Coxy blaster to win 1-0 in front of the biggest crowd by miles I had ever seen at Underhill, the start of the good times... Chelmsford and their hoolies in 89, taking the West Bank ;( ... a friend of mine getting thrown out for chanting 'Birmingham 6 Guildford 4' at a policeman in a midweek game in the late 80s... on a similar note, someone putting a fork through the hand of a Bristol Rovers fan in the Red Lion pre the FA-cup tie in 85... the friendly to celebrate opening of new floodlights when we outplayed a full strength Arsenal team... banter with stalwart Conference goalies Dave Ryan and Dave Mogg... Bobby Barnes open-goal miss in the Northampton cup tie in 91, how we laughed... staying up 2 years ago vs Vale, just unbelievable...

Best goals: Paul Harding vs Wycombe, Frank Murphy vs Welling, Sean Devine vs Norwich, Clarky vs Cheltenham in 91, a half-volley that almost broke the net, Derek Payne vs Cardiff 1993

Fave players: Sir Nicky Evans, Andy Clarke, Edgar Davids, Clovis Kamdjo, Gary Phillips, Nicky Bailey, Derek Payne, Frank 'Macca' Murphy, Kenny Lowe, Dougie Freedman, Paul Wilson
Sorry to be pedantic but that Crewe game was in 92/93, it was a really entertaining game between two great sides. I think Crewe had Neil Lennon and Robbie Savage in their ranks as well.
The infamous Chelmsford City FA Cup tie was in 90/91.
Who remembers the Barnet vs Arsenal celebration match at the end of 90/91? The biggest crowd I've ever seen at Underhill (7,500) and we were heading for a draw with the league champions until Mark Flashman chose to show us his goalkeeping prowess.
gafferbee

rudebwoyben wrote:
Sorry to be pedantic but that Crewe game was in 92/93, it was a really entertaining game between two great sides. I think Crewe had Neil Lennon and Robbie Savage in their ranks as well.
The infamous Chelmsford City FA Cup tie was in 90/91.
Who remembers the Barnet vs Arsenal celebration match at the end of 90/91? The biggest crowd I've ever seen at Underhill (7,500) and we were heading for a draw with the league champions until Mark Flashman chose to show us his goalkeeping prowess.
That Crewe game was flipping awesome. Unbelievable end to the match. I remember watching that so clearly, from right up by the touchline by the left-hand goalpost at the front of the West Bank/South Terrace. The Boxing Day 5-4 win over Torquay that season was another blinder. Zillions of penalties and Gary Bull goals, I seem to recall.

And the Arsenal game, yes - that was my second or third match at Underhill. Didn't it finish 6-0?
jerroll

the 6-0 was Barry Fry's (3rd?) testimonial game which was played in the 1991/2 season, the celebration game finished 2-4.
gafferbee

Oh right, getting confused then. I was young...
jerroll

I can remember the early 90's like they were yesterday, its the past 5 years i struggle with......
Reckless

I have seen my team score 10 goals in a game twice. 1970 against Burton and 1983 against Trowbridge.
ricardobee

I seem to remember seeing the Bees scoring 10 against Leyton and Hinckley back in the 1960's. The Leyton game being in the Athenian League with Tony Brimacombe scoring 5 and the Hinckley game being our first game in the Southern League.
One other game at Underhill back in the 60's was a county game between Hertfordshire and I think Cambridgeshire. The Herts. team was mostly made up with Bees players, 7 or 8, and they demolished the other team scoring 13 goals. Happy days.
RichardM

I remenber the Leyton and Hinckley games. I think we put 11 past the Leyton keeper not 10 and it was in the late 1950s. The scorer of 5 goals was Peter Burridge and he left the club during the following week to turn professional with Crystal Palace or Millwall. It was raining that day and the penalty area at the top of the hill had surface water over a large part of it. We went one down early on against Hinckley and I remember thinking have we taken on too much by turning professional and joining the Southern League. If I remember correctly the county game was played during the week and before we had floodlights. The kickoff was therefore at 6pm. During the 1950s and up to the time when we got the floodlights there was usually a hugh backlog of fixtures at the end of the season because games had been postponed earlier in the season when the weather was bad. We would have to play 2 or 3 games midweek and often ex-players who had retired would be called upon to help out. I remenber seeing Ron Phipps and at least 2 of the Hawkins brothers turn out for us in these games.
hoofer2

Doyley wrote:Was that the year the old boy in the woking end had a heart attack, a helicopter landed on the cricket ground to help him. I seem to recall we played woking in the cup two years running, so may have been the other year. Sure reckless will set me straight !
It was that game. I turned 21 that day. One of my best ever Bees matches.
hoofer2

Another memorable cup game for the wrong reason was an FA Cup qualifying round vs Leatherhead.

This was the game when poor Steve Humphries knee snapped right in front of where I was standing
near the old tea hut. His cries of pain were chilling as was the sound of the snap.

I believe we were leading 4-0 when Gary Abbott had to assume goalkeeping duties. We just held
on for a 4-3 win.
EastBarnetBee

I was looking back Warwick's posts (he also started this thread) and they really are quite interesting. Where did it all go wrong for him? He had somehow gone from a fan who was about to rekindle his love for Barnet FC, to an online maniac.