Sam Hoskins

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Masuka

Re: Sam Hoskins

Is he eligible for the squad tomorrow?
Once a Bee ALWAYS a Bee
Bee_Forever

Yes, or at least the article on the main site suggests he is.
buzzzzinbee

To be fair his goalscoring record is rubbish. There isn't really excuse for failing to score in 19 games in a season up front, even against decent opposition.

Holman would have been exactly what we needed, this guy is a gamble.
becbee

Tuesds wrote:
kingpinfid wrote:Bit of an underwhelming loan signing, given that Dan Holman has gone to Wrexham. Surely he would have preferred to stay closer to Essex, had we tried? But perhaps the bank is empty and Wrexham were prepared to fork out more on wages than us.

I don't really see the point in signing inexperienced youngsters though, when we have plenty of those on our books already. Strikes me as a bit of a panic signing.
Dan bloody Holman seems to have some sort of hypnotic hold over this message board. First it was the claim from an undoubtedly reliable source - his agent - that we wanted to sign him in 12-13 but failed because Kleanthous refused to pay a small fee, which was repeated as gospel on here on numerous occasions. This was the agent of a Conference South striker with one decent season behind him in the same year that we signed former Premier League players John Oster, Graham Stack, Craig Beattie, Collins John, Jonathan Fortune and Edgar Davids. Not all unequivocal successes, to say the least, but they give the lie to the idea that we were too cheap to pick up Conference South hopefuls.

Now we're lamenting the fact that we've scrimped again (have we? Maybe the Southampton youth product signed by Yeovil to play in the Championship last season is on bigger wages than the non-leaguer Holman?) and have somehow missed out on Holman. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke and all, but he didn't even manage 1 in 3 for Braintree over his time there, and wasn't always first choice. That scoring record is significantly inferior to Jake Hyde's last year, for example, yet Hyde was hardly revered as a hot shot. Holman, by contrast, is seemingly held up as East Anglia's answer to Diego Costa.
Absolutely love this reply. My post of the year!!
becbee

In the article on BBC re this loan move, the Colchester manager says " I have personal history with Wrexham and they are a good club and I am sure they'll look after him."

With a comment like that, is it not possible that for all we know, maybe we did express an interest in signing Holman on loan but Colchester preferred him to go to Wrexham?

Regardless, we wanted a loan signing to cover McDonald's absence, we have got one. Let's see Sam Hoskins play before we judge him.
letchbee94

Good luck Sam, looking forward to seeing you score plenty of goals for us.
beew

Just read he's with us until 19th October so assuming he stays fit 7 games worth. Let's hope the lad gets off to a flier this afternoon, I've a feeling that MA will start him on the bench to use as a sub. I'm going to be holding back my prediction league effort until I get the squad announcement.
rudebwoyben

buzzzzinbee wrote:To be fair his goalscoring record is rubbish. There isn't really excuse for failing to score in 19 games in a season up front, even against decent opposition.

Holman would have been exactly what we needed, this guy is a gamble.
I don't think they were 19 full games, most of them were substitute appearances and Yeovil lost most of their matches.
BeesKnees

buzzzzinbee wrote:To be fair his goalscoring record is rubbish. There isn't really excuse for failing to score in 19 games in a season up front, even against decent opposition..
19 games, 15 of which he was on the pitch for an average of 20 min.

John Akinde spent more minutes on the pitch for Bristol Rovers and Portsmouth in League one and didn't score in 26 games. In the Championship he scored 1 goal in 16 games. So what was his excuse and based on that should we get rid? What about Connor Jennings, 20 appearances for Scunthorpe and scores 1, comes to Macclesfield and gets 16 in 18 games.

Hoskins scored 9 in 14 for Southampton under 21 which suggests that against weaker opposition he is capable, I'll give him a fighting chance before I judge.
John_c

BarnetSteve wrote:
buzzzzinbee wrote:To be fair his goalscoring record is rubbish. There isn't really excuse for failing to score in 19 games in a season up front, even against decent opposition..

John Akinde spent more minutes on the pitch for Bristol Rovers and Portsmouth in League one and didn't score in 26 games. In the Championship he scored 1 goal in 16 games. So what was his excuse and based on that should we get rid? What about Connor Jennings, 20 appearances for Scunthorpe and scores 1, comes to Macclesfield and gets 16 in 18 games.

Hoskins scored 9 in 14 for Southampton under 21 which suggests that against weaker opposition he is capable, I'll give him a fighting chance before I judge.
Pay attention. Any new player before he puts a shirt on is to be slagged off.

Rules.
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
BeesKnees

Sorry John,
I'll rerun my Barnet hypnosis tape..
m.u.s.t...c.r.i.t.ic.i.s.e...n.e.w...p.l.a.y.e.r.s...

He's rubbish, complete waste of space. Don't know why we waste money on such dross and we should boo him as soon as he steps on the pitch.
beew

BarnetSteve wrote:Sorry John,
I'll rerun my Barnet hypnosis tape..
m.u.s.t...c.r.i.t.ic.i.s.e...n.e.w...p.l.a.y.e.r.s...

He's rubbish, complete waste of space. Don't know why we waste money on such dross and we should boo him as soon as he steps on the pitch.
He'll be so crap I bet he won't even make an appearance. All we'll hear about him will be from Stevo75's pitch side reserve reports.
Jimbokav1971

BarnetSteve wrote:

Well said.

The other thing of course is that we are actually looking for a player to come in and link the play and feed off Akinde rather than just stick the ball in the net. I would have liked to have seen Lowe given a proper chance, but I can see the wisdom in loaning him out and loaning someone better in if Lowe needs games to continue his development but isn't quite at the level we need right now.

23 games without scoring sounds poor, but in reality it's probably closer to 5-6(ish) games. I like that he has a scoring pedigree through aged football. Maybe dropping down to our level will really set him on fire again.
antbfc wrote:
"He owes everyone a naked run... His opinion is invalid"
Stevo75

Lol let's hope we don't hear sam's name mentioned in my reserve team match report !!! Any way good luck today son start as you mean to continue " get a goal " prediction 2.0 ... COYB's
beew

beew wrote:4700 odd followers on Twitter!!

I've just messaged a Rotherham mate to see what he has to say on him.
Got an answer just now " only saw the guy play a couple of times but rated him for his age, bags of potential and a good acquisition for you".