Allen Out

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
buzzzzinbee

Re: Allen Out

Anthony wrote:
buzzzzinbee wrote:
aclassman wrote:We have a young squad and don't have the money to pay big wages.

Not true. As per TK our wage bill is higher than it's ever been. The summer signings are on a lot more than they should be.

Re who we can bring in - I like Gavin Rose at Dulwich, he can build a team that can play good football and win.

As can Enrique Guillen at Oxford City, who has taken them from strugglers at step 6 to second place by bringing in lots of Spaniards who are too good for that level but don't command high wages. Would be great to have a manager who can think outside the box.
That doesn't mean we have money to pay big wages though, does it? All it means is our wage bill is bigger than it have ever been, but we have had one of the smallest wage bills in the league.
That's a bit of a myth. While we do not pay the biggest wages in the league and never have done our wage bill has never been that low. I doubt that right now we have one of the eight smallest budgets in the league.
buzzzzinbee

rudebwoyben wrote:Even if Jordan Parkes were the answer to our problems (and I'm convinced he's not), he's probably on far more at moneybags Ebbsfleet than we would be prepared to pay him.
He has no interest in returning to pro football due to his business interests. Semi-pro suits him fine.
GenkiDev

becbee wrote:
GenkiDev wrote:Implying that Barnet FC would be better off without MA right now is madness IMO...

The season he re-joined and we finished 8th(ish), he knew what it would take to turn things around and win us the championship the following season. He might not admit it, but he will be thinking the same things with this group of players. His job is to get the most out of the squad he has, publically, MA feels the best way to do this is by protecting his players moral and suggesting that things are fine.

Firstly we have NO pace at CB. Come on guys and girls; Nelson and Bondz!???? together they have to be the slowest CB's in the league, hardly a platform to push on and become a top team. It poses problems, defend high and you get done with through balls, defend deep and your midfield gets stretched.

MA is paid to solve problems. Please, let's allow him enough time and attempts to do just that.
MA signed both Nelson and Bondz, by your reckonings he has created the problems.
Yes, well the signing of Bondz last season undoubtedly helped in our wining of the Conference. It would have been unrealistic to sign players good enough to win league 2 whilst we were still a Conference club. That's not to say that some of our current crop are not good enough to be a part of a team capable of winning league 2 (I believe several of them are BTW).

Nelson, well he appears to be signed as cover, if we consider the above point it's fairly obvious where we stand here! But who are any of us to say that MA/TK could have gotten any body else in who is better? This is why I think MA needs time, a season to suss out what needs to be done. Going into league 2 this season was a big unknown and many of us expected the likes of Elliot Johnson (amongst others) to be as good as he was last season. From what I have seen he hasn't been.

The gap between divisions is clearly higher than what many of us thought. Probably MA included.
Anthony

buzzzzinbee wrote:
Anthony wrote:
buzzzzinbee wrote:
aclassman wrote:We have a young squad and don't have the money to pay big wages.

Not true. As per TK our wage bill is higher than it's ever been. The summer signings are on a lot more than they should be.

Re who we can bring in - I like Gavin Rose at Dulwich, he can build a team that can play good football and win.

As can Enrique Guillen at Oxford City, who has taken them from strugglers at step 6 to second place by bringing in lots of Spaniards who are too good for that level but don't command high wages. Would be great to have a manager who can think outside the box.
That doesn't mean we have money to pay big wages though, does it? All it means is our wage bill is bigger than it have ever been, but we have had one of the smallest wage bills in the league.
That's a bit of a myth. While we do not pay the biggest wages in the league and never have done our wage bill has never been that low. I doubt that right now we have one of the eight smallest budgets in the league.
So we have money to pay big wages??? Who are we paying them to then? None of the players we have signed have been established players from established league clubs.
Mem Beespod

Sam_BFC wrote:
mcleod23 wrote: Curtis Weston continues to successfully run round the pitch without touching the ball, huffing and puffing and not tackling. How he is the captain, is a joke.
There have been a couple of comments about Curtis Weston and in the interest of balance I'd like to address them.

He's an interesting one to discuss because I like him as a player but do understand some of the criticism aimed in his direction.

If you want to see what the guy can bring to the team, look at his role in McLean's goal at Plymouth. Getting on the ball and making positive attacking runs is where he thrives and I'd love to see more of that from him. Gateshead away, Macc at home are two similar examples off the top of my head where we saw him at his best last season.

I was really disappointed with him when he first signed under Robson but his performances in the latter part of that season changed my opinion entirely. Once or twice this season I feel like we've seen glimpses of the below par Weston that we saw in 2012; most notably he does sometimes have a tendency to give away possession cheaply.

Agree with Jerrol that no player should be immune from being substituted. However for me he didn't stand out as any worse than the rest of the team yesterday. Same goes for Muggleton.

As for Martin Allen, i think he's one of the best managers Barnet have ever had and as supporters we should show faith in him, despite the shite of yesterday.
In Weston's defence, with the tactics we've been using this season he's having to cover a hell of a lot of ground. Midfield is pretty much being bypassed which means he's expected to second guess where the ball will land in the opposition's half to get on the second ball. Then when we inevitably give the ball away, he's expected to make a mad dash back to support Togwell as we're only playing 2 in CM. He's rarely seeing the ball to his feet because it's flying over his head.

Last season when we played more football, he was far more influential as he was the third man running off Akinde's link up play or he would be surging through midfield with the ball. This season he's just in the team to run and harry.

In all seriousness, we only need two long distance runners who like tackling in our midfield at the moment.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
antbfc

buzzzzinbee wrote:

nice bit of non league knowledge! :hi:
antbfc

[/quote]So we have money to pay big wages??? Who are we paying them to then? None of the players we have signed have been established players from established league clubs.[/quote]

there is no way Dembele and Lisbie have come here cheaply, i also have a horrible feeling Batt may be on a decent wage, from his high level CV alone!
antbfc

Sam_BFC wrote:
mcleod23 wrote: Curtis Weston continues to successfully run round the pitch without touching the ball, huffing and puffing and not tackling. How he is the captain, is a joke.
There have been a couple of comments about Curtis Weston and in the interest of balance I'd like to address them.

He's an interesting one to discuss because I like him as a player but do understand some of the criticism aimed in his direction.

If you want to see what the guy can bring to the team, look at his role in McLean's goal at Plymouth. Getting on the ball and making positive attacking runs is where he thrives and I'd love to see more of that from him. Gateshead away, Macc at home are two similar examples off the top of my head where we saw him at his best last season.

I was really disappointed with him when he first signed under Robson but his performances in the latter part of that season changed my opinion entirely. Once or twice this season I feel like we've seen glimpses of the below par Weston that we saw in 2012; most notably he does sometimes have a tendency to give away possession cheaply.

Agree with Jerrol that no player should be immune from being substituted. However for me he didn't stand out as any worse than the rest of the team yesterday. Same goes for Muggleton.

As for Martin Allen, i think he's one of the best managers Barnet have ever had and as supporters we should show faith in him, despite the shite of yesterday.
I'm very much of the opinion that Weston is the weak link at the moment, but you make some good points. I just feel there needs to be some creativity in the middle of the pitch and Togwell is very consistent, whereas I genuinely think Ive seen Weston pass the ball to the opposition more than Barnet players this season!
Anthony

antbfc wrote:
So we have money to pay big wages??? Who are we paying them to then? None of the players we have signed have been established players from established league clubs.[/quote]

there is no way Dembele and Lisbie have come here cheaply, i also have a horrible feeling Batt may be on a decent wage, from his high level CV alone![/quote]

Dembele is probably the exception - Id be surprised if Lisbie is taking up much in terms of wages given his age and injury record.
BeesKnees

Lisbie will be covered by the insurance payments
dawat

RichardM wrote:After the game yesterday I was talking with a friend and in anticipation of further ALLEN OUT calls by some supporters we questioned who could come in that we knew of and maybe do a better job. we could not come up with a name. Does anybody have an idea who could replace Martin? It is very easy to want him replaced but by who?
See Brendon Rogers is looking for a new job !!! :geahh: :doh: :spite: :D :rofl: :Pardon: :wacko: :P
barnetpete

Novel idea, not used often in football, but we could always back the manager to work hard on the training pitch with our squad and get us the results which we are not too far off getting?
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
kingpinfid

Anthony wrote:
So we have money to pay big wages??? Who are we paying them to then? None of the players we have signed have been established players from established league clubs.
Most of the Summer signings were established players from League One or League Two clubs. Unfortunately many of them have been pants or are injured, which is probably where a lot of our problems lie.
DerekRocholl

barnetpete wrote:Novel idea, not used often in football, but we could always back the manager to work hard on the training pitch with our squad and get us the results which we are not too far off getting?
Don't be ridiculous. Where is the fun in that ?
neil1972

Most of the Summer signings were established players from League One or League Two clubs. Unfortunately many of them have been pants or are injured, which is probably where a lot of our problems lie.[/quote]

This is absolutely right and basically is what is holding up back this season, in the Conference Allen did exactly the same, he signed a few seasoned L1/L2 players who got us over the line, this season he has done exactly the same and so far is hasn't quite worked, i personally would have gone all out to keep Stephens but the other who were let go i have no complaints about, even Luisma who without doubt would have been excellent in L2 but i always doubted whether he could handle a full and physical season of L2 football.

Its way way too early to suggest getting rid of Allen, in fact i'd be inclined to keep his all season, i never expected us to challenge for promotion, i always suspected we would be in the lower half of the table.

If we look at it this way, in the league there are going to be around 8-10 teams who have a genuine chance of promotion or the play-offs, there will be then be around 8-10 teams who will be happy to stay in the league and finish mid tableish, there will then be the rest who will be scrapping, we need to be the best of the rest this season and build from there for next season.