Hadley FC

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

Re: Hadley FC

Postby jerroll » 11 Aug 2017, 10:09

MCB wrote:I agree with the above, but keep being reminded that Barnet Council own something like 10 golf courses, the highest of any council in the land, and they only bring in about £200,000 per annum combined.

It's a ridiculous sport for the predominantly well heeled, and the whole idea of keeping it as greenery is nonsense considering council residents can't go walk or picnic through the tees.

So find an appropriate golf course, split it up between New Underhill, open parks, affordable housing and then build 5 houses for the open market which will cover 15 years of profit from all 10 golf courses combined.

So what's the closest golf course to Underhill then? :?:

Tudor Park in new Barnet closed and became a foot golf course but access to the site would be a major issue
jerroll
 
Posts: 7694
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 17:25

Re: Hadley FC

Postby miguelito » 11 Aug 2017, 10:10

MCB wrote:I agree with the above, but keep being reminded that Barnet Council own something like 10 golf courses, the highest of any council in the land, and they only bring in about £200,000 per annum combined.

It's a ridiculous sport for the predominantly well heeled, and the whole idea of keeping it as greenery is nonsense considering council residents can't go walk or picnic through the tees.

So find an appropriate golf course, split it up between New Underhill, open parks, affordable housing and then build 5 houses for the open market which will cover 15 years of profit from all 10 golf courses combined.

So what's the closest golf course to Underhill then? :?:


South Herts. In Totteridge ward. Good luck with that one.
"Oh my god, he's attacking them!"
User avatar
miguelito
 
Posts: 459
Joined: 11 Mar 2011, 21:45
Location: Barnet

Re: Hadley FC

Postby BeeBoi1980 » 11 Aug 2017, 10:12

miguelito wrote:
MCB wrote:I agree with the above, but keep being reminded that Barnet Council own something like 10 golf courses, the highest of any council in the land, and they only bring in about £200,000 per annum combined.

It's a ridiculous sport for the predominantly well heeled, and the whole idea of keeping it as greenery is nonsense considering council residents can't go walk or picnic through the tees.

So find an appropriate golf course, split it up between New Underhill, open parks, affordable housing and then build 5 houses for the open market which will cover 15 years of profit from all 10 golf courses combined.

So what's the closest golf course to Underhill then? :?:


South Herts. In Totteridge ward. Good luck with that one.


Played there for the first time ever on Sunday. Horrible lot. Birdied the last.

But really, are we still all having this conversation!? :bash:
BeeBoi1980
 
Posts: 979
Joined: 13 Feb 2011, 10:32

Re: Hadley FC

Postby Norfolk & Chance » 11 Aug 2017, 10:17

Indeed. So many years and some still feel the need decry the existence of an entire town. And for no other reason than to wind people up. Seriously, get a life! Barnet play in Edgware, end of.
Norfolk & Chance
 
Posts: 156
Joined: 03 Jun 2017, 09:22

Re: Hadley FC

Postby hoppy » 11 Aug 2017, 10:46

I went over to The Hive on Thursday to sort out my membership. I've got to say I felt so proud of our club. The place was alive. Lots of ancillary staff around doing what they do, customers coming and going in the shop, several people having coffees and snacks, first team players drifting around, other squad players training, youngsters arriving for a holiday scheme, one of the artificial pitches being used for a game, the motor cycle training going on in one of the car parks. Also there is a sign up mentioning that the Toshiba medical centre will be opening very soon. The place was buzzing and there seemed to me to be a very happy atmosphere about the place.
I had a pleasant chat with Village, who is often down there, and he reckoned it was a quiet day. Well I can't imagine what a busy day is like.
I was proud to be a supporter of Barnet Football Club. Underhill was never, and could never be anything like that. As much as I loved Underhill we have moved on and the current situation seems to be very, very healthy.
Credit to TK. With what he has already achieved at The Hive and with the planned improvements to come (hopefully) we are on our way to being a club that will make people sit up and take notice of and want to be part of.
hoppy
 
Posts: 1828
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 09:43

Re: Hadley FC

Postby X-Bumble » 11 Aug 2017, 10:50

hoppy wrote:I went over to The Hive on Thursday to sort out my membership. I've got to say I felt so proud of our club. The place was alive. Lots of ancillary staff around doing what they do, customers coming and going in the shop, several people having coffees and snacks, first team players drifting around, other squad players training, youngsters arriving for a holiday scheme, one of the artificial pitches being used for a game, the motor cycle training going on in one of the car parks. Also there is a sign up mentioning that the Toshiba medical centre will be opening very soon. The place was buzzing and there seemed to me to be a very happy atmosphere about the place.
I had a pleasant chat with Village, who is often down there, and he reckoned it was a quiet day. Well I can't imagine what a busy day is like.
I was proud to be a supporter of Barnet Football Club. Underhill was never, and could never be anything like that. As much as I loved Underhill we have moved on and the current situation seems to be very, very healthy.
Credit to TK. With what he has already achieved at The Hive and with the planned improvements to come (hopefully) we are on our way to being a club that will make people sit up and take notice of and want to be part of.


Here, here.
Professional Web Design & Developer - http://www.michaeledwards.me.uk
User avatar
X-Bumble
 
Posts: 970
Joined: 04 Feb 2015, 09:14
Location: Whitby, North Yorkshire

Re: Hadley FC

Postby MCB » 11 Aug 2017, 11:02

miguelito wrote:
MCB wrote:
So what's the closest golf course to Underhill then? :?:


South Herts. In Totteridge ward. Good luck with that one.


Next to a tube station, less than 1 mile from Underhill as the crow flies. £50 a round.

Concrete the bloody thing.

Brand new stadium and 500 affordable houses please, whilst developing open green spaces available to all.

Sorted. Double bonus is it would piss Brian Coleman off (judging by the comments: http://www.times-series.co.uk/NEWS/1330 ... f_courses/)
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?
User avatar
MCB
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: 11 May 2016, 17:41

Re: Hadley FC

Postby BeeBoi1980 » 11 Aug 2017, 11:08

As much as the people there were c*cks, you want to concrete over a club's leisure facility that many enjoy that has been there since the 1900's and drive them out of their home. Is that not a little hypocritical regardless of what we think of those that use the facilities.

The Hive really isn't far away, it's great, enjoy it. Who knows what may happen in the future, but the present is The Hive.

I wonder if our EFL cup opponents spend half of their time banging on about playing in Falmer (with the other half spent focussing on getting a defensive midfielder in)?
BeeBoi1980
 
Posts: 979
Joined: 13 Feb 2011, 10:32

Re: Hadley FC

Postby rudebwoyben » 11 Aug 2017, 11:09

Golf is a horrific socially exclusive, prejudiced and extremely environmentally destructive sport. I would happily get rid of every single golf course in existence.
User avatar
rudebwoyben
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 18:53
Location: Hackney, London E5

Re: Hadley FC

Postby BeeBoi1980 » 11 Aug 2017, 11:11

rudebwoyben wrote:Golf is a horrific socially exclusive, prejudiced and extremely environmentally destructive sport. I would happily get rid of every single golf course in existence.


And those at South Herts probably feel football is yobbish, boring and out of control financially. They would probably happily bulldoze every football ground in the country and stick a driving range in. Let's have a little perspective please.
BeeBoi1980
 
Posts: 979
Joined: 13 Feb 2011, 10:32

Re: Hadley FC

Postby rudebwoyben » 11 Aug 2017, 11:13

Looking at that article with those comments by the Taxpayers' Alliance (ugh!), is this actually true? -
Cadwallader clearly didn't bother to read the Judgment. The Court found in favour of the Council - that is to say that the land at Underhill was sold unlawfully. Unfortunately, for the taxpayers of Barnet, the Court also ruled that it did not have the power to undo the transaction
User avatar
rudebwoyben
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 18:53
Location: Hackney, London E5

Re: Hadley FC

Postby MCB » 11 Aug 2017, 11:37

BeeBoi1980 wrote:As much as the people there were c*cks, you want to concrete over a club's leisure facility that many enjoy that has been there since the 1900's and drive them out of their home. Is that not a little hypocritical regardless of what we think of those that use the facilities.


Of course it's massively hypocritical! I'm a massive hypocrit - I had a pop at golf and stopped playing after breaking 100. But then I realised how exclusive golf clubs are, exclusive in that it's great to look at and walk around, but fundamentally exclusive to those who are well heeled. The numbers using the golf course are tiny. Conservatively the footprint is 25 x Underhills (and remember it's just one of TEN council owned golf clubs). There used to be half a dozen football clubs in Barnet as well - now they have what - 1 - Hadley's in Barnet right? Golf players could simply go to one of the other 9 courses, football fans have to go to a different borough.

I'd be more than happy if they just opened it as a nature reserve, open for schools and all to wonder around. It's a false pretence to say the golf course is all greenery - the actual courses are so carefully manicured and chemically ridden, the only wild areas are the trees that stop the poor people looking in. Of course, 1 new stadium, 400 affordable homes, 1 new GP's, primary school and a massive open park & nature reserve would improve life for everyone except the handful of locals and golfers.

It'll never happen of course as golf, like rugby, is popular with the tories.
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?
User avatar
MCB
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: 11 May 2016, 17:41

Re: Hadley FC

Postby miguelito » 11 Aug 2017, 11:42

rudebwoyben wrote:Looking at that article with those comments by the Taxpayers' Alliance (ugh!), is this actually true? -
Cadwallader clearly didn't bother to read the Judgment. The Court found in favour of the Council - that is to say that the land at Underhill was sold unlawfully. Unfortunately, for the taxpayers of Barnet, the Court also ruled that it did not have the power to undo the transaction


David Miller was chair of Chipping Barnet Tories back in 2002 and heavily involved in the anti-South Underhill campaign/BRASS; he was ones of those pushing for the court cases & PwC inquiry into the freehold sale, all of which cost the taxpayer a seven-figure sum.

I've linked to the Chancery & Court of Appeal decisions below so you can draw your own conclusions on Mr Miller's claim. The council were refused permission to appeal.

London Borough of Barnet v Barnet Football Club Holdings Ltd [2004] EWHC 519 (Ch) (13 February 2004) ([2004] EWHC 519 (Ch); From England and Wales High Court (Chancery Division) Decisions
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2004/519.html

London Borough Of Barnet v Barnet Football Club Holdings Ltd [2004] EWCA Civ 1191 (30 July 2004) ([2004] EWCA Civ 1191; From England and Wales Court of Appeal (Civil Division) Decisions
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2004/1191.html
"Oh my god, he's attacking them!"
User avatar
miguelito
 
Posts: 459
Joined: 11 Mar 2011, 21:45
Location: Barnet

Re: Hadley FC

Postby rudebwoyben » 11 Aug 2017, 11:53

miguelito wrote:
rudebwoyben wrote:Looking at that article with those comments by the Taxpayers' Alliance (ugh!), is this actually true? -
Cadwallader clearly didn't bother to read the Judgment. The Court found in favour of the Council - that is to say that the land at Underhill was sold unlawfully. Unfortunately, for the taxpayers of Barnet, the Court also ruled that it did not have the power to undo the transaction


David Miller was chair of Chipping Barnet Tories back in 2002 and heavily involved in the anti-South Underhill campaign/BRASS; he was ones of those pushing for the court cases & PwC inquiry into the freehold sale, all of which cost the taxpayer a seven-figure sum.

I've linked to the Chancery & Court of Appeal decisions below so you can draw your own conclusions on Mr Miller's claim. The council were refused permission to appeal.

London Borough of Barnet v Barnet Football Club Holdings Ltd [2004] EWHC 519 (Ch) (13 February 2004) ([2004] EWHC 519 (Ch); From England and Wales High Court (Chancery Division) Decisions
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2004/519.html

London Borough Of Barnet v Barnet Football Club Holdings Ltd [2004] EWCA Civ 1191 (30 July 2004) ([2004] EWCA Civ 1191; From England and Wales Court of Appeal (Civil Division) Decisions
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2004/1191.html


Thanks for that, I thought that that was untrue and it's good to get confirmation that it was!
User avatar
rudebwoyben
 
Posts: 4501
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 18:53
Location: Hackney, London E5

Re: Hadley FC

Postby BuzzingBee » 11 Aug 2017, 12:00

MCB wrote:
BeeBoi1980 wrote:As much as the people there were c*cks, you want to concrete over a club's leisure facility that many enjoy that has been there since the 1900's and drive them out of their home. Is that not a little hypocritical regardless of what we think of those that use the facilities.


Of course it's massively hypocritical! I'm a massive hypocrit - I had a pop at golf and stopped playing after breaking 100. But then I realised how exclusive golf clubs are, exclusive in that it's great to look at and walk around, but fundamentally exclusive to those who are well heeled. The numbers using the golf course are tiny. Conservatively the footprint is 25 x Underhills (and remember it's just one of TEN council owned golf clubs). There used to be half a dozen football clubs in Barnet as well - now they have what - 1 - Hadley's in Barnet right? Golf players could simply go to one of the other 9 courses, football fans have to go to a different borough.

I'd be more than happy if they just opened it as a nature reserve, open for schools and all to wonder around. It's a false pretence to say the golf course is all greenery - the actual courses are so carefully manicured and chemically ridden, the only wild areas are the trees that stop the poor people looking in. Of course, 1 new stadium, 400 affordable homes, 1 new GP's, primary school and a massive open park & nature reserve would improve life for everyone except the handful of locals and golfers.

It'll never happen of course as golf, like rugby, is popular with the tories.


I think you are alittle out of touch with golf and golf clubs which has become alot more accessible to all in recent years and I am pretty sure will only continue. You only need to look at Trent Park in Oakwood which is routinely packed to the rafters and granted is a nightmare for serious golfers re waiting times but the facilities are great and at £ 20 a round and under a £ 10 in the afternoon a bargin.

Building/watching football is a not a physical leisure pursuit akin to golf or physically playing football so unless you are insinuating building a Hive like complex with facilities for all on South Herts or any other golf course you are comparing apples with pears.

Additionally to be a member (and attend/play unlimited golf) for a number of these courses for Under 30s (and in some cases under 40) is less than £ 600 (and in some cases less then £ 300-400) which is largely the demographic of people attending football is actually cheaper/more cost effective than paying for e.g a Bee's membership and attending 22 days a year.

Funny thing that lefty liberals like to have a pop at things like golf thinking its an elite sport etc but if you actually went to a course you would find a large amount of the membership is made up from people in the trade, black cabbies etc and just proves people like to just assume. Of course you can always find people or things to try and disprove this theory and by coincidence both South Herts and Hadley Wood (thread title) are probably the most "exclusive" clubs in the borough but it is not reflective of the wider golf community

:whistle:
BuzzingBee
 
Posts: 138
Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 17:34

PreviousNext

Return to General Barnet Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests