Big Sam

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
becbee

Re: Big Sam

jerroll wrote:Horrible man Tommy Wright, he was the Darlington player sent off after 50 odd seconds for elbowing Simon King in the face a few years ago.
What an amazing thing to remember.
Simon King is one of my all time Barnet favourite players but I don't even remember the incident, let alone who committed it.
Was it a home or away match?

He is accused of involvement in a £5K bung. Why would anybody risk their livelihood for a paltry £5K? At least Sam stood to gain £400K !
GRH

barnetpete wrote:
FA did what's right. In any other job if you tried to tell a client how to do your employer out of money/get round their rules then you'd expect to get sacked for gross misconduct.
The right thing was for the FA to sack him for gross misconduct. FA mutually agree to terminate the contract and pay him off.

Tells me that it wasn't gross misconduct and they were embarrassed that yet again they are being shown up an an organisation that is not fit for purpose.
kingpinfid

GRH wrote:
X-Bumble wrote: The the cheeky git starts blaming everyone else for getting caught - and not even an apology. The police should get involved in people like him, he is showing a typical response of a serial offender so let the police have a sniff around as see what they find.
I'm clearly missing something. What has he done that merits a police investigation?

Been a little bit mean about Roy Hodgson in a private conversation?
Hurt Gary Neville's feelings?
Talked about how to get around 3rd party agreements rather than operate with them?
Refused to take a bung?

There's nothing criminal in what he did, Stupid, yes.
Technically you are correct. But it would be naive to think that some Premier League managers, which may or may not include Big Sam, have never received an illegal 'kick-back' payment (i.e. a bribe) in order to engineer a particular player transfer.

The Telegraph footage proves that despite being incredibly well paid, Big Sam is (a) a bit thick and (b) very greedy, which in my opinion, makes him potentially corruptible. Time will prove whether or not he is actually corrupt, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is.
jerroll

becbee wrote:
jerroll wrote:Horrible man Tommy Wright, he was the Darlington player sent off after 50 odd seconds for elbowing Simon King in the face a few years ago.
Simon King is one of my all time Barnet favourite players but I don't even remember the incident, let alone who committed it.

He is accused of involvement in a £5K bung. Why would anybody risk their livelihood for a paltry £5K? At least Sam stood to gain £400K !
home game - we scraped a 2-1 win!!
becbee

Jerroll, far be it for me to question one with your encyclopaedic knowledge, but have you got the right Tommy Wright here?

Tommy Wright, Barnsley is 50 years old, I can't find a Wiki entry for him but he'd have been 37 -41 years old when Simon King played for us 2003 -2007 so quite likely would have retired by then.

However there is a Tommy Wright aged 32 years old who played for Darlington 2007-2008. He is now player -manager at Corby Town.
GRH

kingpinfid wrote:
GRH wrote:
X-Bumble wrote: The the cheeky git starts blaming everyone else for getting caught - and not even an apology. The police should get involved in people like him, he is showing a typical response of a serial offender so let the police have a sniff around as see what they find.
I'm clearly missing something. What has he done that merits a police investigation?

Talked about how to get around 3rd party agreements rather than operate with them?
Refused to take a bung?

Technically you are correct. But it would be naive to think that some Premier League managers, which may or may not include Big Sam, have never received an illegal 'kick-back' payment (i.e. a bribe) in order to engineer a particular player transfer.

The Telegraph footage proves that despite being incredibly well paid, Big Sam is (a) a bit thick and (b) very greedy, which in my opinion, makes him potentially corruptible. Time will prove whether or not he is actually corrupt, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is.
It does go on without a doubt. I was told about it happening at this level by someone that would have access to that kind of information, although whether it was true I don't know. I'd hope it wasn't. That just proves that the FA aren't up to the task of running the game any more.

I don't believe his motive was greed. It was the power and status of being the number one manager in the country that went to his head and played to his ego. Naive, certainly. But in a game where players get paid £300k a week and players go for £89m, let's not kid ourselves that football has much morality about it.
kingpinfid

becbee wrote:

Maybe because some people are incredibly stupid and bad at life.

A friend of mine runs a grocery business supplying fruit and veg to restaurants etc. Against his better judgement, he employed an ex convict as a delivery driver to give the guy a second chance. For months the bloke turned up on time and did a good job. Then one day, my friend received a phone call from a customer saying that the ex convict had stolen from them. Sure enough there was CCTV footage of him delivering fruit and veg to a restaurant and on seeing several boxes of fresh fish outside (presumably delivered by another company earlier that morning) and no one around, he stole them. When my friend called the ex convict into his office to sack him, he asked why on earth he had bothered stealing circa £100 worth of fresh fish, which he knew could cost him his job? The bloke said "I dunno, it was just there. The worst thing is I don't even like fish!"

No word of a lie, that is a true story.
Sparkles

It wasn't that long ago that he was implicated in bungs and later cleared. Although the transactions were with his son who was acting as an agent. Nobody is realkh picking this up. Nothing was proved in 2006 but he has always been tarnished with being a bit flash. He was probably targeted because there is some inside knowledge but nothing that anyone could prove until now.
Sparkles

It wasn't that long ago that he was implicated in bungs and later cleared. Although the transactions were with his son who was acting as an agent. Nobody is realkh picking this up. Nothing was proved in 2006 but he has always been tarnished with being a bit flash. He was probably targeted because there is some inside knowledge but nothing that anyone could prove until now.
hoofer2

GRH wrote:
kingpinfid wrote:
GRH wrote:

Refused to take a bung?

It does go on without a doubt. I was told about it happening at this level by someone that would have access to that kind of information, although whether it was true I don't know. I'd hope it wasn't. That just proves that the FA aren't up to the task of running the game any more.

I don't believe his motive was greed. It was the power and status of being the number one manager in the country that went to his head and played to his ego. Naive, certainly. But in a game where players get paid £300k a week and players go for £89m, let's not kid ourselves that football has much morality about it.
The FA, UEFA, FIFA all need to be regulated by completely independent regulators to ensure they are compliant and fit for purpose. Time and again the so-called inquiries / investigations that are initiated to clean up our game are instigated within the realm of said organisation. FIFA recently prevented the publishing in full of the recent corruption inquiry, they should not have been in a position to influence the sharing of the findings.

The evidence should not be given solely to the FA to tuck under the carpet or to turn yet another blind eye. I cannot believe that the LMA or FA are completely ignorant of what has been going on right under their nose, the old boys network continues to serve the status quo of turning a blind eye.
pgbee

becbee wrote:Jerroll, far be it for me to question one with your encyclopaedic knowledge, but have you got the right Tommy Wright here?

Tommy Wright, Barnsley is 50 years old, I can't find a Wiki entry for him but he'd have been 37 -41 years old when Simon King played for us 2003 -2007 so quite likely would have retired by then.

However there is a Tommy Wright aged 32 years old who played for Darlington 2007-2008. He is now player -manager at Corby Town.
Has Jerroll been jerolled? Is becbee now the fount of all knowledge? We await with baited breath......
jerroll

Becbee is correct i have the wrong tommy wrong!! He was still a horrible individual though!!
barnetdw

jerroll wrote:Becbee is correct i have the wrong tommy wrong!!
This is like when I found out that Santa Claus is just a fat man in a red suit!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
jerroll

barnetdw wrote:

In fairness I still remembered a player called Tommy Wright being sent off in a game against us over 9 years ago!!
ShankBee

jerroll wrote:
barnetdw wrote:

In fairness I still remembered a player called Tommy Wright being sent off in a game against us over 9 years ago!!
Which is mind boggling to my sieve memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk