Campbell-Ryce

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
WinchyBee

Re: Campbell-Ryce

Some of the comments on here are hilarious - arguably our best player from Jan-May.

He's created a lot of chances too & I look forward to him playing a key part in next season's team!
becbee

Decent squad player.
There is always a tendency to judge wingers by the number of assists they have but Akinde apart, we've not had the forwards to take full advantage.
hoofer2

Campbell-Ryce is a a grafter and a first line of defense - he keeps ball high up field and digs in with tackling when he
doesn't. Yes he could have a better end product, but this is why he is a League 2 player.

He is an essential squad player and will be important to close out games. I do hope the younger players will breakthrough, but similarly expect them to only managed about 60 mins before flagging and wilting which is
why he remains an important option.
ninestein

Sometimes he gets stick on here for taking time to work the space before crossing, but you can't deny that Jamal gets plenty of crosses into the box.

Unfortunately, Akinde is not the sort of centre forward who will score lots of headed goals, he's more dangerous with the ball played into feet and with his back to goal. This summer we need to find him a strike partner who can anticipate these crosses and get into the right positions to capitalise.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
WinchyBee

ninestein wrote:Sometimes he gets stick on here for taking time to work the space before crossing, but you can't deny that Jamal gets plenty of crosses into the box.

Unfortunately, Akinde is not the sort of centre forward who will score lots of headed goals, he's more dangerous with the ball played into feet and with his back to goal. This summer we need to find him a strike partner who can anticipate these crosses and get into the right positions to capitalise.
Spot on!

Campbell-Ryce beats him man 8/10 times and works an opportunity to get the ball into the box. I think if Gash was playing this season you'd see a more 'effective' JCR.
WinchyBee

ninestein wrote:Sometimes he gets stick on here for taking time to work the space before crossing, but you can't deny that Jamal gets plenty of crosses into the box.

Spot on!

Campbell-Ryce beats him man 8/10 times and works an opportunity to get the ball into the box. I think if Gash was playing this season you'd see a more 'effective' JCR.
foxy

I hear Michael Gash is available on a free?!?!?!? :bash: :oooops: :y:
rudebwoyben

If you'd asked me in February whether I'd like to keep JCR on for another season I would have said no. However, his performances in the closing months of the season have made me change my mind, I think he's become a more effective player since the start of the season and we're only now seeing what he is capable of. I also noticed that in the Wycombe match, he crossed quite a few times with his left - producing a much more difficult cross to defend against. I hope that he continues to do that next season for us, if he is going to be deployed on the left.
NoMagRyan

I've said this before a few times here but it's worth repeating - I think JCR has a lot of value as a mature voice in the dressing room as well. He seemed to have his head screwed on in his interviews during the Nugent era, seemed responsible, seemed very mature about the whole thing. Given the young age of squad, young manager and Nelson's status being up in the air, I think it's great JCR will be back next year.
amberforever

Tuesds wrote:All this 'no end product' and 'headless chicken' talk about Campbell-Ryce really is bollocks. Look at the games we took points from in the second half of the season, and his contribution purely in terms of the number of goals he was involved in. Vs Orient - he hits the bar and Weston scores the rebound (it may have bounced over the line); vs Morecambe - another assist, this time a perfectly flighted cross for Champion to nod in; vs Crawley - one assist and one goal; vs Cheltenham - two of our three goals result from crosses he puts into the box; vs Hartlepool - an excellent assist for the second goal as he embarrasses the Pools right back again; vs Grimsby - involved in two of the goals (also hits the bar).

These are just some examples from the top of my head of instances where he's been directly involved in goals, and only in matches in which we've won points, and only from the later, largely unsuccessful portion of the season.

We could also consider the way he relieves pressure and moves the team up the pitch by being able to carry the ball, the way he retains possession by being able to make space and use his ability to deliver the right pass, the fact that his experience and attitude are invaluable to a squad with a lot of young players and of course the fact that he's simply a very skilful and entertaining player to watch in a Bees shirt.

None of this is to say that he shouldn't get more goals; he definitely should. He should also create even more genuine goal scoring chances than he does. I think the fact that he does waste good positions too often is the cause of the perception of 'no end product'. It feels like he is wasteful of good situations which, while true to an extent, only arises because he creates so many situations through his own ability, and it ignores the high number of chances he does create.

In other words, put me down as a 'pleased' against this news.
Agreed. So many games last season, he was the one shinng light that gave some hope and entertainment in a pile of despair
GenkiDev

Perfect player for blooding the youngsters. Players like Akinola and Shomo will learn a lot by having him around.

Pleased also, because he is a quality attacking player that's entertaining to watch.
dawat

Just glad he is staying. We could do a lot worse in my humble opinion. He will do a job for us which is more than can be said for many players we have signed in the past.
Mickbee

I'll say it again, play him on the right wing please.
NorthFinchleyBee

Mickbee wrote:I'll say it again, play him on the right wing please.
Agreed, as that is where he is best. The key thing is to bring a natural left winger and then someone who can partner John and who likes to score headed goals..