Stadium Expansion

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
pgbee

Re: Stadium Expansion

Having a long narrow terrace with a high back wall along the side of the pitch is rubbish. I suspect most South standers would not go there, which is of course the point , to remove the low paying end of the fan base by making the facilities to stand the worst they could be. Save by only doing half the length as there won't be enough standers to fill even that.
Tuesds

pgbee wrote:Having a long narrow terrace with a high back wall along the side of the pitch is rubbish. I suspect most South standers would not go there, which is of course the point , to remove the low paying end of the fan base by making the facilities to stand the worst they could be. Save by only doing half the length as there won't be enough standers to fill even that.
I don’t think doubling the standing accommodation - and fulfilling the frequently expressed wishes of many on here who’ve called for the East side to be converted to terracing - is designed to ‘remove the low paying end of the fan base.’
pauln50

I would stand there in preference to the west stand, except on really sunny days! !
beew

Anthony wrote:
beew wrote:How will the capacity go to 8500? West stand is 2800, North and South 1900 each which roughly makes 6600. Can the East side accommodate 1900?
The east stand is to become a terrace, so it should easily accomodate 1900.

I can't see that. East stand has the same depth, maybe less as the south stand which currently holds 871. Are there plans to build in the corners of the ground?
Mikel Bee

pauln50 wrote:I would stand there in preference to the west stand, except on really sunny days! !
Me too. West Stand member who'd like to stand along the side of the pitch as well as trying other parts of the stadium. It's a positive thing for the atmosphere imo. The South Stand as it is, is inadequate with all respect to those who stand there.

I remember reading in the documents that the 3G pitches would have to be laid first before anything else can be built in these applications. Could be wrong but that would likely mean the bulk of the developments could be undertaken from Christmas onwards. Even in the Conference we should be able to build during the season. Look at Exeter last season and Watford further back.

Nobody wants to go through the KBA days again. Sorting this stuff out now while the local political sun is shining means we can focus solely on the pitch later. Yes, the Hive will feel very sparse for a lot of games next season and maybe longer if things don't go to plan, but when we eventually get back into the League and are challenging for L1 or the Championship we'll begin to appreciate the larger capacity. This has to be our aim. Relegation is painful but some credit to TK, despite the recent managerial appointments, for still trying to grow the club. In the long term it will pay off.
ccollis_869

Mikel Bee wrote:
pauln50 wrote:I would stand there in preference to the west stand, except on really sunny days! !
Me too. West Stand member who'd like to stand along the side of the pitch as well as trying other parts of the stadium. It's a positive thing for the atmosphere imo. The South Stand as it is, is inadequate with all respect to those who stand there.

I remember reading in the documents that the 3G pitches would have to be laid first before anything else can be built in these applications. Could be wrong but that would likely mean the bulk of the developments could be undertaken from Christmas onwards. Even in the Conference we should be able to build during the season. Look at Exeter last season and Watford further back.

Nobody wants to go through the KBA days again. Sorting this stuff out now while the local political sun is shining means we can focus solely on the pitch later. Yes, the Hive will feel very sparse for a lot of games next season and maybe longer if things don't go to plan, but when we eventually get back into the League and are challenging for L1 or the Championship we'll begin to appreciate the larger capacity. This has to be our aim. Relegation is painful but some credit to TK, despite the recent managerial appointments, for still trying to grow the club. In the long term it will pay off.
The only thing about the East Stand currently is the sun gets in your eyes and can completely ruin any view. The suns gets right into the South West corner and doesnt really have anything to hide behind
hoofer2

ccollis_869 wrote:
Mikel Bee wrote:

The only thing about the East Stand currently is the sun gets in your eyes and can completely ruin any view. The suns gets right into the South West corner and doesnt really have anything to hide behind
This. I sat in the family area with my 2 kids for the Chestefield match. It was very uncomfortable in the blazing sun with the black wall radiating even more heat.
Out of all the places to locate the family area, this is certainly not the best from a child's perspective.
Norfolk & Chance

Not sure why we'd be going through a keep Barnet alive campaign bearing in mind the current set up at the hive.
Surely that's just hyperbole to support an unnecessary expansion of the stadium.
The stadium was far from full for a relegation decider a few weeks ago.
Imo the current size is appropriate for us and the suggestion (again) of Championship football is fanciful bearing in mind the same comments were trotted out justifying the move to the hive and here we are, 5 years later being relegated to non league.
Just because we are Barnet doesn't mean we get promoted by right out of the conference.
This latest relegation might be a long one, and not necessarily the last.
A stadium with a capacity for 8500 with 1000 soles rattling around it is a horrible prospect.
This is nothing to do with BTID, a place I never visit but for some on here it seems compulsory to check-in and then report on the nastiness over there.
This is plain common sense. We don't need a bigger capacity.
The atmosphere can be bad enough as it is, it'll be damn right embarrassing.
But I do appreciate that for some, the stadium is the most important aspect of following Barnet.
ninestein

Last summer the chairman revealed these plans at the Bar66 launch event. They were labelled up "Building for the Future".
That's exactly what it's intended to do... give us the scope to grow as and when we need it. Right now it's not a requirement that we have more seats, or any of the academy buildings or sports hall. But TK has put this in place looking 5-10 years down the line.

The priority for most of us right now is putting a competitive first XI together on the pitch, and have them managed properly so that we can get up and back to the FL. We have appointed John Still, who probably satisfies the want of the vast majority of Barnet fans at this point in time. So as far as the team is concerned, we should be in good hands for the short term.

As for the Hive, It's better to have the flexibility in place to build and grow, rather than being caught without enough later on. Whilst we have the opportunity to get planning permission and build, we should take it. We all know what can happen if a different set of councillors get elected next time around.

If the team does the business on the pitch, there's no way we'll only have 1,000 fans rattling around inside a 8,500 stadium.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
becbee

Norfolk & Chance wrote:Not sure why we'd be going through a keep Barnet alive campaign bearing in mind the current set up at the hive.
Surely that's just hyperbole to support an unnecessary expansion of the stadium.
The stadium was far from full for a relegation decider a few weeks ago.
Imo the current size is appropriate for us and the suggestion (again) of Championship football is fanciful bearing in mind the same comments were trotted out justifying the move to the hive and here we are, 5 years later being relegated to non league.
Just because we are Barnet doesn't mean we get promoted by right out of the conference.
This latest relegation might be a long one, and not necessarily the last.
A stadium with a capacity for 8500 with 1000 soles rattling around it is a horrible prospect.
This is nothing to do with BTID, a place I never visit but for some on here it seems compulsory to check-in and then report on the nastiness over there.
This is plain common sense. We don't need a bigger capacity.
The atmosphere can be bad enough as it is, it'll be damn right embarrassing.
But I do appreciate that for some, the stadium is the most important aspect of following Barnet.
I read Mikel Bee's post but didn't reply for fear of appearing negative. You've expressed my opinion for me - without sounding negative, simply realistic.
BeesKnees

As soon as the west stand was built then the hives fate as 8000+ capacity was set. Complaining about it 5 years after this building block was put in place and after appreciating the benefits of the view it has afforded fans is a bit rich tbh.

The original plans had a stand the size of Underhill south stand where the west stand is. If this has been built we would be looking at a 6000 capacity..

This 1000 rattling in a 8000 etc is a red herring. The important point is an enclosed ground will contain the noise and so generate a better atmosphere than the current set up that has a 6500 capacity. Regardless of the division we play in, it should be welcomed.
RichardM

Anthony wrote:
beew wrote:How will the capacity go to 8500? West stand is 2800, North and South 1900 each which roughly makes 6600. Can the East side accommodate 1900?

I think it is most likely to be no more than 900 or so with 6 rows of terracing.
Agewills

"As well as the likely increase in number of visitors to the ground..."

That made me laugh!

I can see the number of visitors to the ground changing...but not increasing!
BeesKnees

RichardM wrote:
Anthony wrote:

I think it is most likely to be no more than 900 or so with 6 rows of terracing.

If the capacity is to reach the 8500 in the planning application then the 750 seats in the east have to be replaced with a terrace of around 2000. If you were to run the equivalent of the south terrace down that side I reckon it would be at least 1500
MCB

What's key for the terrace which I'm excited about is how well designed it is. It needs steeper viewing, lower roof to protect from the elements and to keep the atmosphere. And a bar.

I'm all for a reprieval of the old East, it was great. But let's get it right please :)