Swansea (Hive) The Match Thread Grazing in the North Stand

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Bee_Forever

Swansea (Hive) The Match Thread Grazing in the North Stand

So.... Wednesday sees the bees return to the training ground, hoping to christen the temporary stadium with yet more scintillating football after our demolition of Maidstone on Saturday.

With new signings as scarce on the ground as a vote on a ground move, it looks like we will be using pre-season to keep our existing players fit, rather than bring in new ones to integrate with what we have.

In terms of lineup expect us to play our strongest team from the start and then bring on the other gazillion midfielders as the starting 11 start to tire.

-----------------------Stephens----------------------

--H. Taylor------Clough------Santos-----Johnson--

-------------------Weston-----J. Taylor---------------

--Coulson-------------Cojocarel---------Campbell-Ryce

------------------------Akinde-----------------------------

Subs: Everyone else

Would like to see Coulson given a start as Akinola looked desperately poor on Saturday, as did Nicholls, and for all his limitations Coulson does offer us more defensive stability on that side, which would probably be no bad thing if Montero is taking on Taylor.

Am going to this one, wonder if Pecking Order will serve lamb in view of our illustrious visitors.
ninestein

Re: Swansea (Hive) The Match Thread Grazing in the North Sta

This game will test our defensive setup. Swansea will knock the ball about and wait for the right moment to play through us. So Wednesday night is all about shape and then how we can start turning defence into attack. One wonders how many of Swansea's 1st XI will play, but this should be a decent one on the eye.

As a one-off, I'm probably going to take the opportunity to sit in the North Stand, and make use of the excellent Bar 66 we have. If it's a nice evening there's drinking space indoors and outdoors there.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
beew

ninestein wrote:This game will test our defensive setup. Swansea will knock the ball about and wait for the right moment to play through us. So Wednesday night is all about shape and then how we can start turning defence into attack. One wonders how many of Swansea's 1st XI will play, but this should be a decent one on the eye.

As a one-off, I'm probably going to take the opportunity to sit in the North Stand, and make use of the excellent Bar 66 we have. If it's a nice evening there's drinking space indoors and outdoors there.
The Swansea first team are currently in the US, on a 3 match tour returning at the end of next week. Id imagine we'll be up against their U23 squad.
ninestein

In which case we may see a bit more of a balanced game, which will be good for us. I'd still expect their U23 side to be silky enough.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
Tuesds

beew wrote:
ninestein wrote:This game will test our defensive setup. Swansea will knock the ball about and wait for the right moment to play through us. So Wednesday night is all about shape and then how we can start turning defence into attack. One wonders how many of Swansea's 1st XI will play, but this should be a decent one on the eye.

The Swansea first team are currently in the US, on a 3 match tour returning at the end of next week. Id imagine we'll be up against their U23 squad.
They don't fly out until Thursday. See http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... r-13304880
becbee

Sounds like we shouldn't expect much of Swansea if they only returned to training today then are travelling to us on Wednesday in readiness for their Thursday flight to Philadelphia.
beew

Tuesds wrote:
beew wrote:

They don't fly out until Thursday. See http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... r-13304880
They've been there since last Friday.
https://m.facebook.com/SwanseaCityFC/ph ... 40/?type=3
jerroll

post is dated 2016
beew

jerroll wrote:post is dated 2016
Oops!
Tuesds

becbee wrote:Sounds like we shouldn't expect much of Swansea if they only returned to training today then are travelling to us on Wednesday in readiness for their Thursday flight to Philadelphia.
The link says that most of the squad were back in training last Monday, but that today was the 'full squad reunion' because a few players, including Sigurdsson, had been given a few extra days off due to international commitments.
MCB

It's Swansea, so I have to post this, it's the law. Also a reminder that it's not that long ago we were tonking the like of Swansea. And the Vetch was an awesome stadium, been there more than any ground par Underhill.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1y5_TVeSSE&feature=youtu.be
Last edited by MCB on 11 Jul 2017, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Barnetchris

What a fantastic player Darren Currie was, he was worth the admission fee alone. Him and stockley together were awesome. The only thing he lacked was pace if he had that he would of been playing for one of the big boys in the premier division. He was equally comfortable with his right or left foot, a defenders nightmare.
MCB

Barnetchris wrote:What a fantastic player Darren Currie was, he was worth the admission fee alone. Him and stockley together were awesome. The only thing he lacked was pace if he had that he would of been playing for one of the big boys in the premier division. He was equally comfortable with his right or left foot, a defenders nightmare.
I used to say that no matter how bad the team was having a proper winger (and we've been blessed with a few) would make a game enjoyable. Darren Currie was the ultimate entertainer. And especially in that Loaded top, just seemed to fit the zeitgeist.

It says a lot that even with no pace he still blossomed at Championship level. This is him at Ipswich:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSrAUH1dQUE
becbee

I started watching Barnet in January 2000, John Still was manager and the football was hardly riveting. Darren Currie was the one player who really forged my interest and kept me coming back for more.
WinchyBee

Darren Currie was the player who got me 'into' Barnet, I was devastated when he left.