James Thorne

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Norfolkbee

Re: James Thorne

I can understand why questions are being asked. If somebody is given a job to do by their employer in any walk of life and they fail to do it, then they should quite rightly expect to have their performance scrutinised. If they can offer a reasonable excuse for failing to deliver, then so be it, but a good majority of jobs are target driven these days.
BeardyBee

Norfolkbee wrote:I can understand why questions are being asked. If somebody is given a job to do by their employer in any walk of life and they fail to do it, then they should quite rightly expect to have their performance scrutinised. If they can offer a reasonable excuse for failing to deliver, then so be it, but a good majority of jobs are target driven these days.
What is his precise job description (does he need to locate or is he responsible for contract negotiations and embedding new players)?

What has been asked of him? Had he been asked to find a new cm or striker?

Are the requests reasonable, like find another akinde for 200 quid a week.

No one knows the answers, so how l can you judge his performance?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Bee_Forever

Players In:-

Brindley - Agreed this was who we needed. He is injured not James' fault
Blackman - Replacement for Johnson. Seems a sensible buy
Ross - Looks a decent back up for perma-crock
Coulthirst - Looks like an awful signing. Looks like a poor man's Shaun Batt.

We are still lacking a defensive midfield replacement for Togwell, and two strikers (Akpa-Akpro and Coulthirst not good enough)

So on balance not a complete disaster, but the continuing lack of defensive midfielder and striker signings is concerning.
becbee

The real issue is the injuries to Akinde, Weston, Nelson, Johnson, Brindley. Nelson is the only one of those five for whom we have experienced cover. Take half the outfield starters out of any team and the team will suffer.

What I think most frustrates fans is the lack of information. We know Johnson is out long term, I seem to recall that Weston was expected back around now but that's not happened, not a clue about the other three. Are the club expecting them back in a week or so or might they be out for months? The projected dates for their return totally effects the extent to which replacement signings are required.

It would also be good if we were told what attempts have been made to make new signings. No names obviously.

One look at the bench shows that we're already down to bare bones. What happens when the inevitable happens and we get more injuries? Why are Watson and Nicholls still with us yet they can't even get on the bench - or are they injured as well?
Norfolkbee

BeardyBee wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:I can understand why questions are being asked. If somebody is given a job to do by their employer in any walk of life and they fail to do it, then they should quite rightly expect to have their performance scrutinised. If they can offer a reasonable excuse for failing to deliver, then so be it, but a good majority of jobs are target driven these days.
What is his precise job description (does he need to locate or is he responsible for contract negotiations and embedding new players)?

What has been asked of him? Had he been asked to find a new cm or striker?

Are the requests reasonable, like find another akinde for 200 quid a week.

No one knows the answers, so how l can you judge his performance?

I wasn't judging, merely stating he must expect scrutiny for his performance, like anybody else doing a job.
BeardyBee

My issue is that assumptions are being proposed as fact.

This singles out one person, James Thorn, who may or not be the issue. I agree we have failings in recruitment, but this could be down to a variety of factors (location, personality, financial, playing opportunities, internal split).

In addition, you relate this to the real world. Who in their jobs has such scrutiny by their customers? I've never had one of mine ask how well a certain member of staff is performing.

What do we want, TK to release a message on the website saying either James is crap or that the club has failed to attract players outside of James's control?

BeardyBee

Oh and I don't blame you norfolkbee, think Macleod23 has started many irate subjects without substance.

To point out I do think we need to bolster our squad and there are issues in recruitment. But singling out people (Who may be the issue or not) isn't right

jerroll

becbee wrote:The real issue is the injuries to Akinde, Weston, Nelson, Johnson, Brindley. Nelson is the only one of those five for whom we have experienced cover. Take half the outfield starters out of any team and the team will suffer.

What I think most frustrates fans is the lack of information. We know Johnson is out long term, I seem to recall that Weston was expected back around now but that's not happened, not a clue about the other three. Are the club expecting them back in a week or so or might they be out for months? The projected dates for their return totally effects the extent to which replacement signings are required.

It would also be good if we were told what attempts have been made to make new signings. No names obviously.

One look at the bench shows that we're already down to bare bones. What happens when the inevitable happens and we get more injuries? Why are Watson and Nicholls still with us yet they can't even get on the bench - or are they injured as well?
Watson and Nicholls are still here because they have contracts, as long as they turn up to training when instructed there is nothing the club can do to move them on until contracts expire bar waste more money in trying to negotiate termination.hopefully loans will be arranged so part of their wages are paid elsewhere.
Norfolkbee

BeardyBee wrote:
My issue is that assumptions are being proposed as fact.

This singles out one person, James Thorn, who may or not be the issue. I agree we have failings in recruitment, but this could be down to a variety of factors (location, personality, financial, playing opportunities, internal split).

In addition, you relate this to the real world. Who in their jobs has such scrutiny by their customers? I've never had one of mine ask how well a certain member of staff is performing.

What do we want, TK to release a message on the website saying either James is crap or that the club has failed to attract players outside of James's control?

Anybody in a customer focused role is open to scrutiny by the public. The fans are the money paying public and fully entitled to ask questions like anywhere else. Whether or not the business proprietor chooses to take the comments on board is another matter.
Players, managers, chairmen, even owners have been the subject of fans' comments since football started, so why shouldn't people be allowed an opinion in the case of the head of football?
becbee

jerroll wrote:
becbee wrote:The real issue is the injuries to Akinde, Weston, Nelson, Johnson, Brindley. Nelson is the only one of those five for whom we have experienced cover. Take half the outfield starters out of any team and the team will suffer.

Watson and Nicholls are still here because they have contracts, as long as they turn up to training when instructed there is nothing the club can do to move them on until contracts expire bar waste more money in trying to negotiate termination.hopefully loans will be arranged so part of their wages are paid elsewhere.
I know they are contracted, what I don't see is why they can't even get onto the bench.
jerroll

Rossi doen't want them, prefers the kids he trusts from his youth team days.
Mem Beespod

jerroll wrote:Rossi doen't want them, prefers the kids he trusts from his youth team days.
I can see why. We are really organised without the ball but we lack real quality in the final third. The ones we currently have fit whilst honest just don't have that extra ability needed.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
mcleod23

BeardyBee wrote:Oh and I don't blame you norfolkbee, think Macleod23 has started many irate subjects without substance.

To point out I do think we need to bolster our squad and there are issues in recruitment. But singling out people (Who may be the issue or not) isn't right

Much substance?!! As pointed out above, we've brought in a GK (you can find a half decent one anywhere as we have done in previous seasons)

RB - granted good business
Shaq - crap as discussed
LB - not someone in the plan during the summer, a panic to EJ getting injured.

So there's one in effect who can be deemed as any good. That falls to the Head of Recruitment, that is his role. If you went to the Q&A at the start of the season with Rossi and Thorne, this was discussed. He was up there as the man to push deals over the line (don't suppose you went to this?)

Summer recruitment has once again been shite and we are suffering.

As for irate, just a realist pal. If you've gone to all three games this week and watched all as 1-0 losses, you might see my frustration.
Norfolkbee

mcleod23 wrote:
BeardyBee wrote:Oh and I don't blame you norfolkbee, think Macleod23 has started many irate subjects without substance.

Much substance?!! As pointed out above, we've brought in a GK (you can find a half decent one anywhere as we have done in previous seasons)

RB - granted good business
Shaq - crap as discussed
LB - not someone in the plan during the summer, a panic to EJ getting injured.
W
So there's one in effect who can be deemed as any good. That falls to the Head of Recruitment, that is his role. If you went to the Q&A at the start of the season with Rossi and Thorne, this was discussed. He was up there as the man to push deals over the line (don't suppose you went to this?)

Summer recruitment has once again been shite and we are suffering.

As for irate, just a realist pal. If you've gone to all three games this week and watched all as 1-0 losses, you might see my frustration.
BeeBoi1980

The thread when Shaq signed seemed to be pretty positive.