Underhill Proposal - A request

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
ETBee

Re: Underhill Proposal - A request

What the parens who support the Ark Academy do not appreciate is that Ark want to use Underhill as a pioneer for their computer based teaching. This will mean pupils spending most of the day learning from computers and having minimal contact with teachers. It's cheap. Not the kind of school environment I'd want for any children/grandchildren of mine.
BuzzingBee

Will offer a view on the other side of the fence as for me building any new school and offering further choice for parents is a good thing for local residents.

Ravenscroft has been around for years and although I admit I haven't taken a recent interest having long finished schooling (and didn't know it had rebranded to TTA) if as the Councillers letter suggested it has a surplus of places then I am sorry despite I am sure the good work the original poster has and recent exam improvements it clearly has not rebuilt its reputation to the point it has gained the trust of parents across the wider borough...which certainly when my brother and I were at school was the worst school in the greater High Barnet area and coupled with the DV estate made you want to avoid Underhill area completely outside of a Barnet game.

I still live locally and regularly walk the Brook Farm space and you can see the wreck that Underhill (and South Underhill have become) and a new School development coupled with the recent new build housing can only help regenerate the area which is a positive all councils should support.

In terms of schooling if you contrast TTA to East Barnet, FCH etc who carried similar (all be it lesser) reputations over the years they have upped there game considerably on which from what I found out recently are actually putting a premium on house prices to be in their catchment areas so progress can be made and competition brings out the best.
hoppy

If the latest plans for converting Underhill to a school are turned down Ark are left with a very expensive piece of land.
So what could they do with this plot?
As BuzzingBee has pointed out Underhill is closely situated to both the DV estate and Ravenscroft School (TTA).
My proposal, therefore, would be to convert Underhill into a Borstal or Young Offenders Institute or even a prison.
The old main stand could be easily converted to cells and the Durham Suite could house the prison officers,
Floodlights are in place in case of attempted break-outs at night and the pitch could be used as an exercise yard.
External barriers are already in place and Security Officers are already employed.
With a prison there is little need for parking and the local residents would not have to endure a high volume of traffic.
There you go Ark. Sorted.
MCB

BuzzingBee wrote: In terms of schooling if you contrast TTA to East Barnet, FCH etc who carried similar (all be it lesser) reputations over the years they have upped there game considerably on which from what I found out recently are actually putting a premium on house prices to be in their catchment areas so progress can be made and competition brings out the best.
Does seem that they have actually upped their game considerably?
Si1970 wrote:
The Totteridge Academy, where I have taught for 18 years, has just gained the highest GCSE grades in its history. As you can imagine, we are all very proud.
X-Bumble

I don't give a shit what happens to Underhill.
Where were the schools when we did the KBA showing support for the club?
Answer? - nowhere, none of them gave two shits about us. And now you expect us to come and help you?
Forget it, we are out of it and rightly so. Fight your own battles and stop whining at us now it's too late.
LeicesterBee

X-Bumble wrote:I don't give a shit what happens to Underhill.
Answer? - nowhere, none of them gave two shits about us. And now you expect us to come and help you?
Forget it, we are out of it and rightly so. Fight your own battles and stop whining at us now it's too late.
:y: :y:
John_c

X-Bumble wrote:I don't give a shit what happens to Underhill.
Whilst I have every sympathy and all that. My friend XB makes a valid point...
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
Sam_BFC

On the one hand I sympathise a lot with the original poster and don't think it is right to see a school that has served the local community over many years in often difficult circumstances left out to dry.
On another hand I bitterly want to see my fellow local residents suffer the increased traffic etc as a punishment for their failure to support having our football club there.
On another hand I want this whole thing to be a right pain in the arse for the council.

More seriously I think there is a valid ethical reason to oppose this and have lodged an objection.
X-Bumble

Sam_BFC wrote:On the one hand I sympathise a lot with the original poster and don't think it is right to see a school that has served the local community over many years in often difficult circumstances left out to dry.
Like we were and what they did to us you mean?

Screw all of them. Have no sympathy. They didn't give two shits about us. Schools and sports clubs are social organisations and should go hand in glove. The club spent time and money trying to get opportunities going for the schools.

They took and gave nothing back. They deserve what's coming to them. The only people I genuinely feel sorry for are the local population who signed our petitions, gave us money and support.

The local schools can go and suck it.
Bee_Forever

To be fair Ravenscroft were supportive of the club in the past with respect to the Prozone initiative.

My hope is that the school fails planning permission, as the arguments for a school seem specious at best, and the impact on Totteridge Academy will be devastating.

As for the residents. Fuck 'em.
X-Bumble

Bee_Forever wrote:To be fair Ravenscroft were supportive of the club in the past with respect to the Prozone initiative.

My hope is that the school fails planning permission, as the arguments for a school seem specious at best, and the impact on Totteridge Academy will be devastating.

Selling a few programmes is not helping. And I am dubious at best that the school had anything to do with that. More like the kids were fans and volunteered. It makes my blood boil when I see this nonsense rearing its ugly head now we were forced out. Screw all of them. It's not our problem any more and I don't see why they expect is to care what happens to the very home we were screwed over. The bare faced cheek of it is outrageous.

I'd like to remind him that not everyone who supports Barnet lives in Barnet, so why the hell should we care? What goes around comes around, and karma always comes to visit.

Another school in the town? - deal with it instead of bothering us about it.

It's too late for us to help you. Go and find the rest of the borough who also didn't give a shit when we were in trouble and see if you get anywhere with them. Bit of a clue for you... they won't.

The very people who screwed us over are now doing it to you and none of the schools stepped forward and offered us any help or support that I know of at the time, (and I was the chairman of the KBA), so tough luck matey.

We are not going to get dragged back into that political nonsense, and to ask us is disgraceful and insulting.
MCB

Stuffing the Underhill / KBA argument to one side.

Academies are leeches - i've been involved in campaigning against a primary school one in NW London that tried opening with a two form entry despite being located miles away from where there was need (i.e. there was a surplus of school places where they wanted to be located). They do not have the same restrictions in place. i.e. the state school i'm involved in cannot set it's catchment area - the free school can to the extent they moved theirs to the 'middle class' roads around the school cutting out the estates.

We stood to lose up to £90,000 - or 3 teachers - if we had lost 2 children from each year group to this school.

There was other shit that piled up i.e. as a charity, albeit one with VERY WELL PAID owners, they had massive business rates reductions (100% I believe) whereas my state school was facing having to remove the £20,000 worth of solar panels they had just installed as they couldn't pay the business rates increases incurred by solar panels (free schools wouldn't face this charge).

Look across the board - even in health this is replicated: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/healt ... 03926.html

So as much as I don't give a toss about the people of Underhill (sorry good people of Underhill) this is about something bigger.
DerekRocholl

Bee_Forever wrote:To be fair Ravenscroft were supportive of the club in the past with respect to the Prozone initiative.

And Ravenscroft was pretty helpful to the KBA, we held one of our biggest indoor campaign events there with their support and at no cost.

There are plenty of long term Barnet supporters knocking about the Hive who did nothing for the campaign.
#Beebot

I'd also question whether a school would even be able to actively support a private company against the council who control them.

For me children's education comes before any residual animosity between ourselves and the local schools. Couldn't care less about the residents, mind.
Si1970

Selling a few programmes is not helping. And I am dubious at best that the school had anything to do with that. More like the kids were fans and volunteered. It makes my blood boil when I see this nonsense rearing its ugly head now we were forced out. Screw all of them. It's not our problem any more and I don't see why they expect is to care what happens to the very home we were screwed over. The bare faced cheek of it is outrageous.

I'd like to remind him that not everyone who supports Barnet lives in Barnet, so why the hell should we care? What goes around comes around, and karma always comes to visit.

Another school in the town? - deal with it instead of bothering us about it.

It's too late for us to help you. Go and find the rest of the borough who also didn't give a shit when we were in trouble and see if you get anywhere with them. Bit of a clue for you... they won't.

The very people who screwed us over are now doing it to you and none of the schools stepped forward and offered us any help or support that I know of at the time, (and I was the chairman of the KBA), so tough luck matey.

We are not going to get dragged back into that political nonsense, and to ask us is disgraceful and insulting

Wow.

Just wow.

We did support KBA, we've always had links with the club, Minos Perdios was directly involved with Prozone, our kids went to Underhill, still go to The Hive...so do the staff...

Not one child or adult at our place did anything other than attempt to be supportive.

X-Bumble - I don't know you, and I really don't like the whole internet arguing thing at all...but whatever grievance you have, do you really think its right to damn TTA and all who attend/work there in such a fashion? We didn't move Barnet FC from Underhill, neither did we ever support such a move. I appreciate you have your opinions, but having read what you have written, it feels like a personal attack on me, my school, my job...and I would appreciate an apology, as I have only been polite.

Also, if you know our history, you will know that the London Borough of Barnet, with its love of selection, has always despised Ravenscroft/TTA, and would like nothing better to bang a nail in our coffin, so rather than being "disgraceful and insulting", my appeal is simply to those who know what it is like.