Exeter (Hive) The Ex in the City Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
eastbarnetsupporter

Re: Exeter (Hive) The Ex in the City Match Thread

Great performance up till 70 minutes.

To be fair to those complaining about the lack of early subs, we had two players waiting on the wing for a good 5 minutes but the ball didn't go out of play, only when they scored.

Good to see Akinde get a bit of game time.
jerroll

Berlinbee wrote:Seems like Dave Tarpey is out for the long term. Maybe a little naive to throw him in the deep end from part time to full time. Could have started from the bench. We'll have to wait for an official statement from the club.
Why, he was playing in a predominately full time league already.
MCB

*Wasn't there but:

It's great to see two teams fans compliment each other so much on the opposition, and the general quality of the football. It also speaks volumes when fans of both teams name each others goalkeepers as MOM.
This was a game that Barnet should have won. I can’t say it was a lucky win by Exeter but the fact that Pym is my man of the match says it all.
Also after years of Mad Dog isn't is great to see comments like
Second half Barnet came out full of confidence and deservedly scored with a great move. They then dominated City and at one point must have strung 30 passes together with City chasing shadows.
Which makes a change from "Weston hooked a long ball over his shoulder which Big John chased down, out muscled the defender and calmly beat the keeper / got bought down for a penalty" - but it's great we'll now have that in our locker as well.

It wasn't youth / inexperience that lost us last night (our team averaged 25.62 vs Exeter's 25.93) but I think simply their strength in depth and ability to bring on players that can make more of a difference.

Yesterday was a game that Stephens, Brindley, Blackman, Johnson, Weston, Tarpey & Akinde would have started had they have been fit (big difference from saying they are automatic starters - but most of them are!). Good to see Akinde get a couple of minutes - his first league football of the season, but lacking them was for me the difference between winning and losing.

People seem confident that Exeter will be going up automatically - good - happy for them, hope between us we continue to prosper, get promoted, and leave Luton, Swindon, Coventry, Mansfield, Stevenage, Notts County fighting for mid table mediocrity.
mcleod23

eastbarnetsupporter wrote:Great performance up till 70 minutes.

To be fair to those complaining about the lack of early subs, we had two players waiting on the wing for a good 5 minutes but the ball didn't go out of play, only when they scored.

We did have a chance to bring them on. We had a corner ref was already to let them come on but we opted not to, ball stayed in play they scored.
Itai-bee

We were the better team for 70 mins against one of the best footballing teams in the division.We've come along way in such a short time. Yes, mistakes were made.If we scored that 2nd goal that I think we deserved,we would be talking about one of the most complete performances for a very long time.
We are a work in progress.
Exeter are a excellent footballing team with a winning mentality.Most teams away from home at 1-1 in the last 10 mins, would of settled for the draw and timewasted.
A quality game of football by both teams.
tpBEE

mcleod23 wrote:
eastbarnetsupporter wrote:Great performance up till 70 minutes.

We did have a chance to bring them on. We had a corner ref was already to let them come on but we opted not to, ball stayed in play they scored.

Was about to say the same thing. It should have been done then, with the ball the furthest from our goal possible, but we waited and they scored 2 mins later. Not saying it would have definitely made a difference, but it was clear Jack had blown a gasket and it was his mistake that resulted in the goal...
hoppy

Exeter City have an excellent and very experienced manager in Paul Tisdale. He knows his job inside out. He has probably had to deal with virtually every situation fate has thrown at him.
Barnet have a very young inexperienced manager who is still learning. He will make mistakes and, hopefully, learn from them.
Tisdale's use and timing of his substitutions was top notch. Rossi's use and timing of his sustitutions was naive.
End result, Exeter won.
This is just an observation, not a criticism, as I believe we must be patient with Rossi as he will some day be a very, very good manager. Hopefully with us.
Mem Beespod

hoppy wrote:Exeter City have an excellent and very experienced manager in Paul Tisdale. He knows his job inside out. He has probably had to deal with virtually every situation fate has thrown at him.
Barnet have a very young inexperienced manager who is still learning. He will make mistakes and, hopefully, learn from them.
Tisdale's use and timing of his substitutions was top notch. Rossi's use and timing of his sustitutions was naive.
End result, Exeter won.
This is just an observation, not a criticism, as I believe we must be patient with Rossi as he will some day be a very, very good manager. Hopefully with us.
Good summary. For me, from a tactical and organisational level Rossi is better than anybody we've had for a long time however in game management is crucial too which you can only learn from experience. Rossi will have learned a lot from yesterday and judging by the last 2-3 games he appears to be a quick learner.
2 points from the play offs and now our talisman back, onwards and upwards
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
WhetstoneBee

I'm always impressed with Rossi's post-match interviews. It would be easy for him to focus on the good performance for 60 minutes and claim we were unlucky to lose the game, but there's none of that. He's just gutted to lose and not happy that the performance wasn't sustained for the whole match. He's clearly set very high standards, focusing on what needs improving rather than patting himself and the players on the back, and that's exactly how it should be.
hoofer2

hoppy wrote:Exeter City have an excellent and very experienced manager in Paul Tisdale. He knows his job inside out. He has probably had to deal with virtually every situation fate has thrown at him.
End result, Exeter won.
Not sure I agree Rossi is that naive when it comes to subs. He has made tactical changes at half time that has contributed to a winning performance.
Sometimes change for change sake can unbalance the team and compromise the play - we saw this many times with MA who resorted to headless chickens with 10 minutes left in a game.
hoofer2

Yesterday was a game that Stephens, Brindley, Blackman, Johnson, Weston, Tarpey & Akinde would have started had they have been fit (big difference from saying they are automatic starters - but most of them are!). Good to see Akinde get a couple of minutes - his first league football of the season, but lacking them was for me the difference between winning and losing.
Not sure I'd agree. Coultrist is on fire - choice between Tarpey and Akinde for other striker's position.
For me a fit Akinde is a shoe in. Tarpey very unfortunate and must be regretting the move.

We do seem to get a ridiculously high percentage of injuries at the start of the season.
gafferbee

I made an effort to get to that game last night on the back of recent good performances (and I think a couple of hundred others might have done as well - attendance was better than I expected), and it was one of the best games of lower league football I've seen in years. Two good teams, ebb and flow, genuine quality. We didn't get the result we wanted but I'm sure Rossi will bottle the disappointment and use it to encourage the players to hit the heights of the first 65 mins over and over again.

To watch a match like that and post that "there's a cancer within this club" seems so far off the mark it's hard to know where to start. Maybe there's a cancer in the pitch that keeps snapping our players' knee ligaments, but the team is doing (mostly) just fine.

Onwards.
JWTBee

gafferbee wrote:I made an effort to get to that game last night on the back of recent good performances (and I think a couple of hundred others might have done as well - attendance was better than I expected), and it was one of the best games of lower league football I've seen in years. Two good teams, ebb and flow, genuine quality. We didn't get the result we wanted but I'm sure Rossi will bottle the disappointment and use it to encourage the players to hit the heights of the first 65 mins over and over again.

To watch a match like that and post that "there's a cancer within this club" seems so far off the mark it's hard to know where to start. Maybe there's a cancer in the pitch that keeps snapping our players' knee ligaments, but the team is doing (mostly) just fine.

Onwards.
Well said!
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!
X-Bumble

hoofer2 wrote:

Not sure I'd agree. Coultrist is on fire - choice between Tarpey and Akinde for other striker's position.
For me a fit Akinde is a shoe in. Tarpey very unfortunate and must be regretting the move.

We do seem to get a ridiculously high percentage of injuries at the start of the season.
I'm not a medical man, but presumably Tarpey's knee would have gone anyway, whatever club he was playing at? - or is that not how it works?
beew

X-Bumble wrote:
hoofer2 wrote:

I'm not a medical man, but presumably Tarpey's knee would have gone anyway, whatever club he was playing at? - or is that not how it works?
Is it just coincidence that his injury happened very close to Elliott's in front of the West stand. And didn't NJ say the pitch was to blame for the Luton players thigh strain that also happen close to that area of the pitch?