Promised much but disappointed

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
#Beebot

Re: Promised much but disappointed

Livibee wrote:Any team ? - from what I have read and the little I have seen of Barnet this season, and apart from the first few games when RE tried a more attractive style of play, I would say that we are not capable of playing good passing football especially now that MM is in charge.
All players have at least a basic level of technical ability, so you can easily instruct any team to knock the ball about.

It doesn't actually make you any good if you aren't better overall than the opposition or if your tactics are poor.

The purest passing football I've ever seen us play - ball played out from the back, hardly any long balls - was under Mark Robson. That did not turn out well.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Livibee

rudebwoyben wrote:I’m pretty sure we’d beat Livingston. How attractively a team plays doesn’t show how good they are.
I have supported Barnet for over 40 years and they are my team, the first result I look for, however not sure how you can say that we would beat Livi without actually seeing Livi play (or any other team in top half of Scottish Championship). Sadly having seen both teams recently, there is no doubt Livi would win as they currently are the better team, nothing to do with playing attractive football but because they have the better players / squad - this is probably the first time in many years that I would say this.
Barnet have much bigger potential and fingers crossed we get things sorted out and move back up the league soon.
Livibee

rudebwoyben wrote:I’m pretty sure we’d beat Livingston. How attractively a team plays doesn’t show how good they are.
I have supported Barnet for over 40 years and they are my team, the first result I look for, however not sure how you can say that we would beat Livi without actually seeing Livi play (or any other team in top half of Scottish Championship). Sadly having seen both teams recently, there is no doubt Livi would win as they currently are the better team, nothing to do with playing attractive football but because they have the better players / squad - this is probably the first time in many years that I would say this.
Barnet have much bigger potential and fingers crossed we get things sorted out and move back up the league soon.
becbee

Livibee wrote:
Very true, we don't watch Livingstone or Scottish Championship. But when have you seen Barnet play this season? I seem to recall you saying that you weren't going to go to the Carlisle match.
Tuesds

David Livermore. Signed by Ian Hendon, and with a reputation as a tough tackling defensive midfileder and with hundreds of games at a higher level under his belt with Milwall, he seemed like exactly what we needed (how times change, eh?). On his debut (or at least, the first time I saw him), he came on and made a couple of thundering challenges and helped us see out a crucial victory. It was all so encouraging that It almost seemed too good to be true. And it was. He was rubbish.
Mem Beespod

Tuesds wrote:David Livermore. Signed by Ian Hendon, and with a reputation as a tough tackling defensive midfileder and with hundreds of games at a higher level under his belt with Milwall, he seemed like exactly what we needed (how times change, eh?). On his debut (or at least, the first time I saw him), he came on and made a couple of thundering challenges and helped us see out a crucial victory. It was all so encouraging that It almost seemed too good to be true. And it was. He was rubbish.
I'd forgotten about him. He was so cumbersome.
Beespod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod
MCB

I think this plays into the Scotland / Promised much but disappointed - Nicky Deverdics.

Had played 30+ games in the Scottish Premier League for Gretna, and was a highly rated youngster.

Joined us and showed his quality and touch in flashes, but failed to move forwards really. Wasn't sure if that was an attitude or size issue - he played with Albert, Bolasie and Neal Bishop so had quality around him.

And never made it with Hartlepool in the league after excelling with Dover, but apparently is now coming good again - as a left back.

So from top highly rated Scottish Premier League player to top Conference Player. About right?
becbee

MCB wrote:I think this plays into the Scotland / Promised much but disappointed - Nicky Deverdics.

Had played 30+ games in the Scottish Premier League for Gretna, and was a highly rated youngster.

Joined us and showed his quality and touch in flashes, but failed to move forwards really. Wasn't sure if that was an attitude or size issue - he played with Albert, Bolasie and Neal Bishop so had quality around him.

And never made it with Hartlepool in the league after excelling with Dover, but apparently is now coming good again - as a left back.

So from top highly rated Scottish Premier League player to top Conference Player. About right?
Suspect he is one of many who never fulfilled his early promise. As you say, he never quite made it with us, then he had a bit of a strange career after leaving us - Blyth Spartans, a club in Iceland, Alfreton, a club in the Faroe Islands, Tadcaster - so probably lucky to end up as high as National League. Sent off last Saturday in Hartlepool's 4-0 defeat at Dover.
BuzzingBee

Throw a few that haven't been mentioned:

Anthony Thomas - Billed a the Non-League Hotshot with if I recall something like 50 goals in a single season at Hemel and barely scored for us and ended up serving jail time for animal abuse

Jordon Parkes - England Under 18 International Hovering around Watford 1st team and looked terribly out of his depth at RB which as it turns out was his wrong position as understood was moved to an attacking midfielder in his part-time non-league career since

Jonathan Fortune - Successful career at Charlton, joined us as club captain if I am not mistaken and lasts 6 games - ran like he was in a swamp and had the turning circle of a articulated truck - terrible player when at Barnet

Jon Nurse - By all accounts a solid CV at Stevenage and D&R but never looked liked scoring for us and prone to the odd terrible tackle (Luton at home comes to mind when I think he broke some chaps leg) - From what I heard a decent person in the lock room though which probably kept him around longer than he should have been.
jonbonbaby

Stevie Searle was a great player until he got injured
dawat

I think it's fairly safe to add Mark McGhee to this list now!
Norfolk & Chance

I'm not sure he promised much to be fair.
#Beebot

dawat wrote:I think it's fairly safe to add Mark McGhee to this list now!
Did he promise much? He was a terrible appointment on paper.

pgbee

#Beebot wrote:
dawat wrote:I think it's fairly safe to add Mark McGhee to this list now!
Did he promise much? He was a terrible appointment on paper.

Think we can add the 2017/18 pre season squad and TK to the list
pokal02

Forgot about Luke Medley. We actually paid a fee for him. He couldn't trap or control a football, couldn't tackle and couldn't shoot on target. Apart from that he was OK.