Fuad Sule

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

Re: Fuad Sule

Postby bee33 » 31 Dec 2017, 17:07

South_Belfast_Bee -

You get the drift lol. What's confusing is Derry play in League of Ireland Premier Division. I think they are the only club from Northern Irleand in that league ?

I hope I haven't offended anyone
bee33

Postby Norfolkbee » 31 Dec 2017, 17:51

bee33 wrote:South_Belfast_Bee -

You get the drift lol. What's confusing is Derry play in League of Ireland Premier Division. I think they are the only club from Northern Irleand in that league ?

They are indeed. I had the reasons graphically explained to me when I did the "Free Derry" tour a few years back. It was a both enlightening and entertaining afternoon, unless you happen to be a staunch supporter of the Loyalist cause.
As regards to Derry City, I have used Wikipedia to paraphrase what the guide told me, along with his tales of watching Match of the Day as a kid from behind the settee, while a gun battle was raging in the street outside.

"Derry applied to join the reorganised League of Ireland (the league in the Republic of Ireland) in 1985 with the Brandywell as its home. The move required special dispensation from the IFA and FIFA, but eventually Derry was admitted to the league's new First Division for 1985, joining as semi-professionals.[6] As its stadium was situated in a staunchly republican area once known as "Free Derry", with a history of scepticism towards the RUC in the local community,[17] Derry received special permission from UEFA to steward its own games. The presence of the RUC was regarded as more likely to provoke trouble than help prevent it."
Norfolkbee

Postby South_Belfast_Bee » 31 Dec 2017, 17:56

bee33 wrote:South_Belfast_Bee -

Haha, absolutely no offence here!

In short, the Irish FA is the original FA for the whole of Ireland and now represents Northern Ireland. The League of Ireland represents the South. The Irish League is the northern league, and the League of Ireland is the southern league.

Derry used to play in the northern league (unsurprisingly) but withdrew during The Troubles following a dispute with the Irish FA over their homeground (sound familiar?). They've played in LOI since the late 1980s.

The closest I can think of to this situation in Britain is Berwick Rangers, who are based in England but play in the Scottish league.
South_Belfast_Bee

Postby beew » 31 Dec 2017, 18:13

Id be disappointed if he wasn't in the reckoning tomorrow. He's a player that we've all talked about over the last few months so I want to see him play at some point. New player starting in a new year...good luck to him and us.

Edit...the Leicester player who missed the deadline in August by 14 secs has completed his move but isn't eligible to play today so I doubt we'll see Sule either.
beew

Postby finchleyman » 01 Jan 2018, 18:16

The guy was on the pitch today and he is tiny! I am not sure we need another tiny mid-fielder especially if he is a defensive mid-fielder and not an attacker. Can't see how he is going to compete against the 6'3" forwards in League 2. Probably not room for this guy and Mauro. Another shit signing. Management has to go.
finchleyman

Postby #Beebot » 01 Jan 2018, 18:21

finchleyman wrote:The guy was on the pitch today and he is tiny! I am not sure we need another tiny mid-fielder especially if he is a defensive mid-fielder and not an attacker. Can't see how he is going to compete against the 6'3" forwards in League 2. Probably not room for this guy and Mauro. Another shit signing. Management has to go.

Is this a serious post?

Kante seems to get on fine.
#Beebot

Postby jerroll » 01 Jan 2018, 18:27

#Beebot wrote:
finchleyman wrote:The guy was on the pitch today and he is tiny! I am not sure we need another tiny mid-fielder especially if he is a defensive mid-fielder and not an attacker. Can't see how he is going to compete against the 6'3" forwards in League 2. Probably not room for this guy and Mauro. Another shit signing. Management has to go.

Is this a serious post?

Which league 2 team does Kante play for? i'm not writing the lad off without seeing him play by the way.
jerroll

Postby #Beebot » 01 Jan 2018, 18:50

jerroll wrote:
#Beebot wrote:

Is this a serious post?

Which league 2 team does Kante play for? i'm not writing the lad off without seeing him play by the way.

Everything I've heard about him from those who watch Irish football is that he's pretty similar to Kante and was one of the best players over there last season.

L2 is a step up for him, but not a huge one and he should have a role to play over the next few games.

Many great DMs over the years have not had height on their side. It's not a position that requires height, it's all about mobility and timing rather than size.
#Beebot

Postby beew » 01 Jan 2018, 19:05

jerroll wrote:
#Beebot wrote:

Is this a serious post?

Being small but strong means he will have a low centre of gravity and should be hard to knock of the ball. He will also be able to turn quickly and switch play offering distribution to others around him. Anyway let's wait and see before we write him off.
beew

Postby bee33 » 01 Jan 2018, 20:57

Height not really an issue,Claude Makelele, Xavi, Iniesta, Scholes, Edgar Davids and Kante are fine examples of the best Defensive Midfielder's ever who make great tackles and run all over the place. They may look like they are extra's from The Barrowers but they show amazing power and strength for their size
bee33

Postby finchleyman » 02 Jan 2018, 15:30

I can't believe the responses to my original post. In case people hadn't noticed, we play in League 2 and the ball is hoofed around and in the air and the forwards for the opposing teams are all over 6 ft. How is Mr Tiny supposed to stop them? Edgar Davids couldn't, at least, not without being sent off.
finchleyman

Postby #Beebot » 02 Jan 2018, 15:37

finchleyman wrote:I can't believe the responses to my original post. In case people hadn't noticed, we play in League 2 and the ball is hoofed around and in the air and the forwards for the opposing teams are all over 6 ft. How is Mr Tiny supposed to stop them? Edgar Davids couldn't, at least, not without being sent off.
Davids was absolutely shot when he played for us.

He doesn't necessarily need to win headers if he reads the game well and times his defensive runs well.

The Irish league is approx NL standard and the style of play is crude, more so than L2. Sule has done well there and will do well here if he gets the right guidance. Sadly under the current management he may not get it.
#Beebot

Postby WinchyBee » 02 Jan 2018, 17:13

Typical that people are writing him off before he even steps onto the pitch! Hope he can be our Kante, good luck to him!!
WinchyBee

Postby Tuesds » 03 Jan 2018, 14:43

David’s did just fine as a holding midfielder with us in League 2. The only problems he had performance-wise was when he played himself as a left-sided forward, and then he was poor all round in the Conference season when it seemed as though his heart just wasn’t in it anymore)

One of the best defensive midfielders in the lower leagues in recent years has been Alan McCormack. A bit taller than Sule but, at 5”8, hardly a giant. Going back a few more years, Derek Payne used to get on all right.
Tuesds

Postby jerroll » 03 Jan 2018, 14:53

Tuesds wrote:David’s did just fine as a holding midfielder with us in League 2. The only problems he had performance-wise was when he played himself as a left-sided forward, and then he was poor all round in the Conference season when it seemed as though his heart just wasn’t in it anymore)

One of the best defensive midfielders in the lower leagues in recent years has been Alan McCormack. A bit taller than Sule but, at 5”8, hardly a giant. Going back a few more years, Derek Payne used to get on all right.

Derek Payne had Duncan Horton along side him - a proper defensive/holding midfielder!
jerroll

PreviousNext

Return to General Barnet Chat