Signings

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
MCB

Re: Signings

What's the rules now with regards to loans out?

I mean, our squad is humongous. Conference and below only?
BeeBoi1980

When we don't make signings they're a joke, when we do they're not good enough. It's so boring.

Don't get me wrong, the fans have put up with a lot of sh*t, and have every right to criticise the club when it's merited. But lets at least wait until the four signings we have bought in fail before writing them off.

In the summer we were all crying out for a right back to replace Pearson who was long gone from the team, forwards to replace Gash and Batt who were also long gone from the team, a replacement for Vickers who went back to Swansea, and a central midfielder to replace Champion and/or Togwell.

We got Brindley, Coulthirst, Tarpey, Ross and missed out due to timing on Sule. We also made the late panic signing of Blackman, as people on here sensibly pointed out we needed left back cover when Elliot got injured. Yes things didn't necessarily work out for a number of reasons, with injuries playing a particularly key role, but the club can't control some of these things.

On the face of it the club put the money up to sign players in every position that was lacking, we only missed out on the central midfield position (which I agree with others was key, so its a bit of a mess up on the clubs part), and we even made the marquee signing of Tarpey up front.

The choice of management team was a decision made by those in control, and that was a debatable decision, but once that decision was made you have to trust that the right targets are identified. So really, the summer transfer window wasn't too bad, we got the majority of our targets, regardless of what we think of them.

At the start of this window we identified that we needed the central midfield position sorted, we wanted a centre back as Nelson is knocking on and Clough struggling somewhat, we wanted another winger/attacking midfielder, and a forward.

Again, it looks as though we filled all but one of the positions we, the fans, had been calling to be filled. We didn't get the forward, but we got the others, and we also got a keeper as it seems Stephens could be in the treatment room for another prolonged spell.

We also got a 'proper manager', regardless of what we think of him or his methods. Everyone had been calling for this change, though I agree it was made too late.

Look at Arsenal, yes they made some good signings, but they also let the top 3 scorers for the club in their squad go, and again did nothing about a sub standard defence. And despite their spending power they had to rely on other factors and some deals (Malcolm, Evans) didn't happen.

Back to Barnet, yes things might not work out for us for the rest of the season. Yes things don't look particularly good at the moment. Yes the club has dithered about decisions and things have often happened a few weeks after we the fans wanted them to. But things do take time, deals do fall through, and in general in the last 3 windows we have seen a lot of intent and action, even if the execution hasn't been perfect.

But lets at least give the manager, squad and new signings some time before writing them off. It may be that those with a more negative persuasion (understandably to a point given the situation we are in) were right all along. But lets at least give the club a chance to escape this mess before we write them off. I'm looking forward to the next few games and I expect a reaction from the team, and hopefully from the fans too.

I'm on holiday for the Chesterfield game so want to be safe before then, lets hope my optimism pays off. If not and we fail I'll certainly be as critical as the next man. COYB.
finchleyman

At the moment I think we are mostly underwhelmed.

But we live in hope.
ccollis_869

BeeBoi1980 wrote:When we don't make signings they're a joke, when we do they're not good enough. It's so boring.

Don't get me wrong, the fans have put up with a lot of sh*t, and have every right to criticise the club when it's merited. But lets at least wait until the four signings we have bought in fail before writing them off.

In the summer we were all crying out for a right back to replace Pearson who was long gone from the team, forwards to replace Gash and Batt who were also long gone from the team, a replacement for Vickers who went back to Swansea, and a central midfielder to replace Champion and/or Togwell.

We got Brindley, Coulthirst, Tarpey, Ross and missed out due to timing on Sule. We also made the late panic signing of Blackman, as people on here sensibly pointed out we needed left back cover when Elliot got injured. Yes things didn't necessarily work out for a number of reasons, with injuries playing a particularly key role, but the club can't control some of these things.

On the face of it the club put the money up to sign players in every position that was lacking, we only missed out on the central midfield position (which I agree with others was key, so its a bit of a mess up on the clubs part), and we even made the marquee signing of Tarpey up front.

The choice of management team was a decision made by those in control, and that was a debatable decision, but once that decision was made you have to trust that the right targets are identified. So really, the summer transfer window wasn't too bad, we got the majority of our targets, regardless of what we think of them.

At the start of this window we identified that we needed the central midfield position sorted, we wanted a centre back as Nelson is knocking on and Clough struggling somewhat, we wanted another winger/attacking midfielder, and a forward.

Again, it looks as though we filled all but one of the positions we, the fans, had been calling to be filled. We didn't get the forward, but we got the others, and we also got a keeper as it seems Stephens could be in the treatment room for another prolonged spell.

We also got a 'proper manager', regardless of what we think of him or his methods. Everyone had been calling for this change, though I agree it was made too late.

Look at Arsenal, yes they made some good signings, but they also let the top 3 scorers for the club in their squad go, and again did nothing about a sub standard defence. And despite their spending power they had to rely on other factors and some deals (Malcolm, Evans) didn't happen.

Back to Barnet, yes things might not work out for us for the rest of the season. Yes things don't look particularly good at the moment. Yes the club has dithered about decisions and things have often happened a few weeks after we the fans wanted them to. But things do take time, deals do fall through, and in general in the last 3 windows we have seen a lot of intent and action, even if the execution hasn't been perfect.

But lets at least give the manager, squad and new signings some time before writing them off. It may be that those with a more negative persuasion (understandably to a point given the situation we are in) were right all along. But lets at least give the club a chance to escape this mess before we write them off. I'm looking forward to the next few games and I expect a reaction from the team, and hopefully from the fans too.

I'm on holiday for the Chesterfield game so want to be safe before then, lets hope my optimism pays off. If not and we fail I'll certainly be as critical as the next man. COYB.
well said
BeeBoi1980

Being realistic, what could have happened that we would have been really happy with. We were never going to sign Sanchez or Aubameyang. We are bottom of the football league with a bloated squad. We have mostly filled the gaps that needed filling. Who did people expect us to sign?

Miller. Could go down, and went to a club currently in the play off. Pett, went to a team two points off the play offs. Who were we meant to bring in? And who with any pedigree was desperate to manage us in this situation and with the current structure.

Don't get me wrong, mistakes have been made since Allen left, but right now in this window what really did people expect? Earlier signings yes maybe, but better signings, or more signings with the current squad size, or outgoings (who wants these players)?

I'm not sure what there is to be underwhelmed about unless expectations were unrealistic. Sure we don't have much to be overwhelmed about either, but I don't see what could have realistically happened that would have everyone jumping around with excitement.
iBee

"Underwhelmed"

What do people expect? We are bottom of the league by some margin so therefore not the most attractive proposition for many players.

Lets give the lads a chance, who knows what might happen?

If we do go down, then at least we are blessed with so many football genius' amongst the fan base, we are so lucky! :doh:
hoofer2

ninestein wrote:I heard Sule was spotted with an ice pack on his leg after a recent second XI match? That would explain his absence.
A warrior !