Signings

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
jerroll

Re: Signings

beew wrote:
mcleod23 wrote:24 days into the window and still not 1 addition, what are we doing?!!!

Any rumours?
Everything points towards Westley thinking he has a squad that can get us out of trouble. This might change after Saturdays game.
The problem we will have in trying to sign players permanently will be a relegation salary reduction clause - Loans appear to be the better option despite the clubs reluctance to go down that route in the past 18 months.
foxy

Make sure you jump aboard the foxy motor on Saturday Bruce!
Guiseleybee

jerroll wrote:
beew wrote:
mcleod23 wrote:24 days into the window and still not 1 addition, what are we doing?!!!

Any rumours?
Everything points towards Westley thinking he has a squad that can get us out of trouble. This might change after Saturdays game.
The problem we will have in trying to sign players permanently will be a relegation salary reduction clause - Loans appear to be the better option despite the clubs reluctance to go down that route in the past 18 months.
Loans absolutely make sense. No concern we haven't signed anyone yet. Westley will almost make a few additions but he's already said he sees alot of quality in the squad so doesn't see it as same scenario as was the case at Newport.

Ricky Miller was going to sign before Westley took over according to the Peterborough local paper: https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... -1-8342555
Norfolkbee

The Miller thing seems strange because I'm sure GW stated he was - rightly or wrongly - in the market for a goalscorer. Seems his priority must've changed . . . Providing he is actually going to sign anyone.
Tuesds

Surprised that Westley reportedly cancelled the Miller signing, in light of his preference for 4-4-2. Before last Saturday I hadn't really thought that a goalscorer was a priority, seeing as we've been playing with just one out-and-out striker all season. But if we're playing both Akinde and Coulthirst as a front two, then we need a decent replacement. Amaluzor has never scored a league goal (if memory serves), so I don't think we should be relying on him in our situation.
MCB

Doesn't say that the deal was cancelled, could still happen. But doesn't his court case start in April? The last thing we'd need is to lose him at the end of the season.
Guiseleybee

Bearing in mind Tarpey will presumably come back into the reckoning next season plus the fact GW has notably praised the potential of Akinde and Shaq as a front two I'd think a loan is more probable and more logical.
jerroll

Tuesds wrote:Surprised that Westley reportedly cancelled the Miller signing, in light of his preference for 4-4-2. Before last Saturday I hadn't really thought that a goalscorer was a priority, seeing as we've been playing with just one out-and-out striker all season. But if we're playing both Akinde and Coulthirst as a front two, then we need a decent replacement. Amaluzor has never scored a league goal (if memory serves), so I don't think we should be relying on him in our situation.
Correct, only senior goal against Posh in checkafraud trophy.a lot will depend on how long Akpa-akpro is out for as we are unlikely to shift him before the window closes, he is still a useful sub but not good enough when starting.
Norfolkbee

I would have thought that a signing - any signing - would be a lift to everyone connected with the club at the moment. It would at least set down a small marker that there is some intention to remain in the League. Everyone's morale is totally shot at present.
Look at Chesterfield and Forest Green, who were also in deep doo-doo but went out and did something. Marvellous what a bit of pro-activity can do.
Norfolk & Chance

I think we're looking at proactive in the rear view mirror now and staring full on at signing anything with a pulse.

Or, probably, imo, he's going to stick with what he's got and organise an open top bus tour around Edgware when we scrape home in May.
barnetpete

Norfolkbee wrote: Marvellous what a bit of pro-activity can do.
Oh come on, we've been really proactive in January, the chairman has signed off answers to 70+ questions, and we've signed a manager who would have been further down the fans list than Mullery and Sorry Lorry Sanchez.
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
letchbee94

Any rumours?
Don't know if it is true but I had heard from someone that we was looking into signing Sebastien Bassong.
beew

Well he's a quick defender....as his prosecution for driving at 110mph will prove. He would surely he out of our price range though
northantsbee

letchbee94 wrote:

Any rumours?
Don't know if it is true but I had heard from someone that we was looking into signing Sebastien Bassong.
His wage demands must be rapidly decreasing, he was released by Norwich last summer and is still without a club. He was born in France and has played international football for Cameroon, so there is no guarantee he is still in the UK.
Going Indieground 7pm Tuesday, https://www.madwaspradio.com/
beew

northantsbee wrote:
letchbee94 wrote:

Any rumours?
His wage demands must be rapidly decreasing, he was released by Norwich last summer and is still without a club. He was born in France and has played international football for Cameroon, so there is no guarantee he is still in the UK.
Was on a trial at Kilmarnock before Xmas, so there might be some truth in the rumour. His last contract at Norwich earnt him a mere £37500 a week.