Notts County (THL) The Rocky Balboa Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
NorthFinchleyBee

Re: Notts County (THL) The Rocky Balboa Match Thread

I dreamt on Friday night that we won 1-0. I woke up on Saturday morning thinking if only and thinking we'd be lucky to get a draw. It was a treat watching the team yesterday. If they had only played like that in more games, but forget about the past, they have the capacity to take the game to other teams and win going forward. In previous games the second half has been tentative and waiting for the whistle. Yesterday the difference was that pushed on and went for the win. I thought they were good value for the 3 points. They had multiple chances in the first half, and although County had a slightly better second 45, I thought we genuinely edged it. I thought it was a great team performance, but Santos Clough and Ross were immense, and going forward Tutonda was outstanding. I also though Nicholson and Bover had a really good games, tracking back, tackling. Vilhete and Akinola both cause problems when they came on and you could tell defenders were struggling with them, ditto John (John, please go up up for more challenges!) Notwithstanding a really good goal from Nichols, he showed some genuine pace yesterday and could be a real prospect - Notts County conceded two yellow cards trying to deal with him. And it was a fantastic goal!!

I think we are in a battle still, but if the team play like they did yesterday, it's a battle they can win.

COYB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
foxy

What a super super end to a great afternoon!!!!!! Was almost in tears due to sheer joy!

Just in case anyone has forgotten the result you just have to look at how short this match thread is to tell that we WON!

Roll on Yeovil.....

Come on x-bumble... get your arse to a game!!!!
ccollis_869

It’s important we don’t lose on Tuesday, don’t want momentum lost going into two homes games
let_it_bee

foxy wrote:What a super super end to a great afternoon!!!!!! Was almost in tears due to sheer joy!
Likewise - it really meant so much after all the misery we've endured.
The level of commitment shown yesterday was the key difference. We had a few wobbly spells in the second half but held it pretty steady at the back, and everyone put in a full shift, though I couldn't understand why he didn't make some changes a bit earlier to freshen things up, as certain players were clearly tiring. So still a bit of work to do on the fitness front. But the transformation of Nicholls is just incredible - hard to believe it's the same guy who looked so anonymous when he came into the side last season and looked as though he was just running down his contract.
Personally I wasn't impressed with Nicholson - doesn't look any better than several of our existing young players, and not a patch on Jack Taylor, though can't fault him for effort and could be (another) one for the future. Conditions were very difficult yesterday and I'm not sure it was the right time to introduce him.
But all credit to Westley (though still through slightly gritted teeth) for the organisation, discipline and motivation he has brought to the team. What a contrast to his predecessor.
ETBee

I went to the game convinced that we would lose but just hoping that we weren't too embarrassed. As the game went on it became clear that we were holding our own and, in fact, were playing better than County. The players were all going for it with nobody backing off. You could see that the players realised that they could win and confidence started to rise. I did think that County would snatch a win at the end but it we were the team that did it!

It was ironic that for most of the game we were trying to keep the ball on the ground and the pass that won it was a long "Westley style" hoof up the pitch. The stewards clearly knew that we'd snatch it at the end as on 90 minutes they lined up behind the goal in the South Terrace to stop a pitch invasion!

I was disappointed with County who looked either tired or over confident, but I'm not complaining.
To bee or not to bee

Spoke to a few County fans on the way back to Canons Park. They said that they’d been playing poorly for the last few weeks and would be lucky to make the playoffs at the rate they were going. So looks like we played them at a good time. They thought the stadium and facilities were fantastic and were very impressed.
letchbee94

Great feeling at the end to get our first win since before Christmas.

The other positive for me is that it felt different from the win against Morecambe where imo I felt we was fortunate to get the win yesterday I felt it was a deserved win and every player played well.
JWTBee

For the first time since the Gashman left we had a proper forward who can win headers,hold up the play & support Big John! Him & Nicholls definitely complement each other.Unfortunately Coulthirst does not!

Like most fans when I saw the team I thought what the f**k! However credit to GW because all 3 - Nicholls,Watson & Bover played well.I thought that Nicholson had a pretty good game too.He put in a very good shift & could have scored.My only criticism is that Akinola has to start.He is developing a very good partnership with Tutonda who once again had a great game! Again credit goes to GW for bringing him back into the team too.

Hopefully Santos will be fit for Tuesday as we really need him until Sweeney is back.Not too sure about the Tin Man but it's very early days.

Onwards & upwards.

COYBS
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!
antbfc

i thought nicholson had a very good debut and was unlucky not to score. He is far better than the younger players we have already.

Agree get Akinola in the starting line up, other than that, no changes for me.

Nice to have decent options on the bench too!

Roll on Tuesday... COYB's
Mickbee

Just like to say well done to GW and the boys. A deserved win and a great performance and a clean sheet. Like a lot of people when I saw the line up a wondered about GW 's sanity and perhaps mine too, but what a performance full of energy and commitment, testament to GW fitness regime paying off. Nicholls was a revelation an all action performance rewarded with a goal. I think he and John could be a successful pairing up front. Thought the young lad Nicholson did well for a debut against a strong team. We must now go on an unbeaten run to catch up and drag other teams into it.
PBBee

What a lovely surprise it was to check my phone at 4:50 at Twickenham & see that goal pop up (it would be the only home game I’ve missed all season though).

Spoke to a local Grimsby fan on Friday who says they are in disarray - however they’ve got a lot more points on the board than us.

He always goes to their games vs us at the Hive & said our facilities are amazing & one of the best in the league if not the best for away fans!
beew

DanieleAccurso wrote:Post-Match Interview With Barnet FC's Alex Nicholls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEf_SEK ... e=youtu.be … Feedback welcomed and appreciated. Anything I could have done better?

Also listen to Alex giving a sly dig at Weston and Akinde (They were standing next to us so just banter between them!). Hope you enjoy!
Pretty impressive from MPOV. A relaxed interview, which came across well.
chesbee

Great interview thank you
jerroll

PBBee wrote:What a lovely surprise it was to check my phone at 4:50 at Twickenham & see that goal pop up (it would be the only home game I’ve missed all season though).

Spoke to a local Grimsby fan on Friday who says they are in disarray - however they’ve got a lot more points on the board than us.

He always goes to their games vs us at the Hive & said our facilities are amazing & one of the best in the league if not the best for away fans!
Slade gone after latest defeat, hope they appoint a mcghee like manager!
LoudmouthBFC

Barnet F.C. 1 v Notts County F.C. 0 | The Great Escape | Matchday Vlog (10/02/18)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X6AMQ2s3nU