Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political football'

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Postby hoofer2 » 14 Feb 2018, 20:50

ninestein wrote:Copthall hasn't changed?
Er... it has. Look at the massive stand Saracens had built down one side. It totally dominates the place.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but that place has space for 10,000 people, no different to the amount we were proposing to go in there.
Same traffic impact etc etc.
The difference is simply that Barnet Council valued that rugby club far greater than they ever valued us. It's just sad.

I live about 400m from Old Albanians where Saracens train. Our off the field facilities are at a far higher standard than Saracens can muster even now.
hoofer2
 
Posts: 2864
Joined: 01 Feb 2011, 13:48

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Postby RichardM » 14 Feb 2018, 21:07

To bee or not to bee wrote:It’s easy. Change the club name to Barnet & Queensbury FC. Get the locals to buy into the project. Bit of a mouthful so shorten it to B&Q Bees FC. Then just need to find a suitable sponsor. A business in Queensbury - Honeypot Lane maybe. Result compromise and everyone’s a winner.


There is a Homebase in Harrow, they would make a good sponsor or perhaps Wickes.
RichardM
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 18:19

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Postby beew » 14 Feb 2018, 21:11

To bee or not to bee wrote:It’s easy. Change the club name to Barnet & Queensbury FC. Get the locals to buy into the project. Bit of a mouthful so shorten it to B&Q Bees FC. Then just need to find a suitable sponsor. A business in Queensbury - Honeypot Lane maybe. Result compromise and everyone’s a winner.


But B&Q whetstone has been sold and demolished to become homes? Don't like that idea as we have a club that we can still support and follow through highs and lows. I'd rather leave things as they are, as Barnet FC in HA8. At least the club lives on.
beew
 
Posts: 2951
Joined: 29 Jan 2012, 17:46

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Postby Norfolkbee » 14 Feb 2018, 21:33

hoofer2 wrote:
ninestein wrote:Copthall hasn't changed?
Er... it has. Look at the massive stand Saracens had built down one side. It totally dominates the place.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but that place has space for 10,000 people, no different to the amount we were proposing to go in there.
Same traffic impact etc etc.
The difference is simply that Barnet Council valued that rugby club far greater than they ever valued us. It's just sad.

I live about 400m from Old Albanians where Saracens train. Our off the field facilities are at a far higher standard than Saracens can muster even now.

Barnet FC and The Hive have a lot going for them. That doesn't mean important lessons can't be learned from the egg-chasers up the road. For a start, TK could learn that the best way to grow a club is to put bums on seats, although I do note Saracens are doing this to service debts of the kind BFC don't appear to have. I don't think anyone can argue that Saracens have increased attendances through success on the field (TK please note).
The shuttle bus idea is excellent, although Cannons Park is a lot closer to THL than any underground station is to Copthall. I'm not sure what the service take-up would be with a decent regular shuttle service from New/High Barnet. Perhaps it would bring back a few old faces, but that horse has probably bolted.
Perhaps BFC could look at using local schools for off-road parking on match days. It would make a bit of much-needed cash for local schools, if arrangements could be arrived at, and would also send out the right message to the local populace as regards cutting street parking.
The Sarries do much in local schools, as many rugby clubs are encouraged to do. I believe this is a scheme that is encouraged by the RFU in a bid to grow the game. The ECB operate a similar scheme with cricket, but, as far as I know, the FA has absolutely no interest in anything like this, which means any initiatives have to be run by the clubs themselves. This therefore means Barnet are up against clubs like Arsenal and Tottenham when it comes doing to this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Arsenal are/were the preferred partners for working within some, if not all, schools within the London Borough of Barnet.
Norfolkbee
 
Posts: 2868
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 09:43

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Postby beew » 14 Feb 2018, 22:17

Norfolkbee wrote:
hoofer2 wrote:
ninestein wrote:Copthall hasn't changed?
Er... it has. Look at the massive stand Saracens had built down one side. It totally dominates the place.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but that place has space for 10,000 people, no different to the amount we were proposing to go in there.
Same traffic impact etc etc.
The difference is simply that Barnet Council valued that rugby club far greater than they ever valued us. It's just sad.

I live about 400m from Old Albanians where Saracens train. Our off the field facilities are at a far higher standard than Saracens can muster even now.

Barnet FC and The Hive have a lot going for them. That doesn't mean important lessons can't be learned from the egg-chasers up the road. For a start, TK could learn that the best way to grow a club is to put bums on seats, although I do note Saracens are doing this to service debts of the kind BFC don't appear to have. I don't think anyone can argue that Saracens have increased attendances through success on the field (TK please note).
The shuttle bus idea is excellent, although Cannons Park is a lot closer to THL than any underground station is to Copthall. I'm not sure what the service take-up would be with a decent regular shuttle service from New/High Barnet. Perhaps it would bring back a few old faces, but that horse has probably bolted.
Perhaps BFC could look at using local schools for off-road parking on match days. It would make a bit of much-needed cash for local schools, if arrangements could be arrived at, and would also send out the right message to the local populace as regards cutting street parking.
The Sarries do much in local schools, as many rugby clubs are encouraged to do. I believe this is a scheme that is encouraged by the RFU in a bid to grow the game. The ECB operate a similar scheme with cricket, but, as far as I know, the FA has absolutely no interest in anything like this, which means any initiatives have to be run by the clubs themselves. This therefore means Barnet are up against clubs like Arsenal and Tottenham when it comes doing to this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Arsenal are/were the preferred partners for working within some, if not all, schools within the London Borough of Barnet.


Saracens have been backed with serious investment, on the back of Sky TV/BT monies. Rugby is also the sport of parliament.. They're also the only rugby club in North London. These facts make them successful. Buses which bring in supporters for free should be applauded but they couldn't do it unless they had this money washing around the club. We don't have this luxury..
beew
 
Posts: 2951
Joined: 29 Jan 2012, 17:46

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Postby Norfolkbee » 14 Feb 2018, 22:26

beew wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:
hoofer2 wrote:
ninestein wrote:Copthall hasn't changed?
Er... it has. Look at the massive stand Saracens had built down one side. It totally dominates the place.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but that place has space for 10,000 people, no different to the amount we were proposing to go in there.
Same traffic impact etc etc.
The difference is simply that Barnet Council valued that rugby club far greater than they ever valued us. It's just sad.

I live about 400m from Old Albanians where Saracens train. Our off the field facilities are at a far higher standard than Saracens can muster even now.

Barnet FC and The Hive have a lot going for them. That doesn't mean important lessons can't be learned from the egg-chasers up the road. For a start, TK could learn that the best way to grow a club is to put bums on seats, although I do note Saracens are doing this to service debts of the kind BFC don't appear to have. I don't think anyone can argue that Saracens have increased attendances through success on the field (TK please note).
The shuttle bus idea is excellent, although Cannons Park is a lot closer to THL than any underground station is to Copthall. I'm not sure what the service take-up would be with a decent regular shuttle service from New/High Barnet. Perhaps it would bring back a few old faces, but that horse has probably bolted.
Perhaps BFC could look at using local schools for off-road parking on match days. It would make a bit of much-needed cash for local schools, if arrangements could be arrived at, and would also send out the right message to the local populace as regards cutting street parking.
The Sarries do much in local schools, as many rugby clubs are encouraged to do. I believe this is a scheme that is encouraged by the RFU in a bid to grow the game. The ECB operate a similar scheme with cricket, but, as far as I know, the FA has absolutely no interest in anything like this, which means any initiatives have to be run by the clubs themselves. This therefore means Barnet are up against clubs like Arsenal and Tottenham when it comes doing to this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Arsenal are/were the preferred partners for working within some, if not all, schools within the London Borough of Barnet.


Saracens have been backed with serious investment, on the back of Sky TV/BT monies. Rugby is also the sport of parliament.. They're also the only rugby club in North London. These facts make them successful. Buses which bring in supporters for free should be applauded but they couldn't do it unless they had this money washing around the club. We don't have this luxury..

I'm always surprised that TK has never looked at bringing investors on board. Plenty of businessmen put money into football clubs much further down the pyramid than Barnet. It's an ego trip for many of them. Most EFL clubs have quite large boards of directors, dare I say, some with fans representatives on them.
Last edited by Norfolkbee on 14 Feb 2018, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Norfolkbee
 
Posts: 2868
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 09:43

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Postby barnetpete » 14 Feb 2018, 22:30

And someone I know who works there says it’s nearly as much of a mess in regards to staffing hierarchy and treatment of staff as BFC.
Do you shop on Amazon? Please consider donating, at no extra cost to yourself, to help Children & Young People in Barnet, via https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ch/1164713-0, Amazon will donate to Young Barnet Foundation with every purchase.
barnetpete
 
Posts: 1864
Joined: 24 Jan 2011, 13:37

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Postby Norfolkbee » 14 Feb 2018, 22:37

barnetpete wrote:And someone I know who works there says it’s nearly as much of a mess in regards to staffing hierarchy and treatment of staff as BFC.

As likely as not, but success on the pitch hides many problems. We dissect every little nuance at Barnet FC, while Sarries fans only care about getting ahead of Exeter Chiefs, who are incidentally another success story that overshadows the city's football club in an area where there is very little competition.
Norfolkbee
 
Posts: 2868
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 09:43

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Postby Hiveoccupier » 15 Feb 2018, 08:15

barnetpete wrote:Whatever the local residents views, they could take the attitude of we will work with the club to find solutions, we appreciate parking can be an issue but its also a community asset and as our local Councillors we will make sure the club use their community department to undertake as much community outreach work and to help the community locally, be it children, young people, the elderly etc and use the venue to support the local residents.

Instead they are using the opportunity to canvas cheap votes. Its lazy and not productive, as whether the club gets the planning application or not, the roads will still be busy on matchdays and people will still park in surrounding roads.


You're not acting as a labour spokesperson here are you?!


No. Just challenging the ridiculous underlying notion that a Tory controlled council in Harrow working with Bob Blackman as the local MP would make life easier for TK than he gets under a Labour council.
Hiveoccupier
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 16:59

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Postby Bee_Forever » 15 Feb 2018, 08:53

And who has said that?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Bee_Forever
 
Posts: 2695
Joined: 21 Jan 2011, 20:25

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Postby Hiveoccupier » 15 Feb 2018, 09:11

Bee_Forever wrote:And who has said that?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk


I guess the word "underlying" is a bit complex for you.

Have a look at your own last post where you said that Harrow Labour were "no better than Underhill Tories", "politicians are just politicians", and most naively of all that local council candidates could take no position one of the most contentious issues affecting the locality in a council election year.
Hiveoccupier
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 16:59

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Postby John_c » 15 Feb 2018, 10:33

Bee_Forever wrote:And who has said that?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
No one. But Derek is implying by using the word "underlying" that you did. Without actually saying that you said that.

Gosh, doesn't he sound like a politician?

I use Tapatalk like the cool kids
:geahh:

Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

"Can't wait to hear the latest excuses from that bell end John C"
User avatar
John_c
 
Posts: 4702
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 08:23

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Postby MCB » 15 Feb 2018, 11:05

Well that escalated quickly.

I'm still wondering how to find out total people employed by The Hive & associated businesses, the taxes paid to Harrow, the financial benefits and so on. Often politicians need it spelling out in ££££

As opposed to those who hark back to the glory days of:

Image
User avatar
MCB
 
Posts: 2309
Joined: 11 May 2016, 17:41

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Postby Hiveoccupier » 15 Feb 2018, 11:18

MCB wrote:Well that escalated quickly.

I'm still wondering how to find out total people employed by The Hive & associated businesses, the taxes paid to Harrow, the financial benefits and so on. Often politicians need it spelling out in ££££

As opposed to those who hark back to the glory days of:

Image


Pointless stuff Sam, the locals have made their minds up about the Hive, the way TK respects the planning process and his plans for the future. You can put as many £ signs up as you like and it won't make one iota of difference to the way this issue will be campaigned in the run up to the council elections.
Hiveoccupier
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 16:59

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Postby MCB » 15 Feb 2018, 11:27

If their children work at The Hive, play football there, even eat the chicken then i'm hoping it will directly influence the local homeowners.

If the money brought in from the Hive pays for a couple of hospitals and schools in Harrow, reduces obesity, gets deprived kids into community activities then these are things that would encourage positive news coverage.
User avatar
MCB
 
Posts: 2309
Joined: 11 May 2016, 17:41

PreviousNext

Return to General Barnet Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hoppy, jerroll, Mikel Bee, StephenM and 23 guests