Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political football'

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
DerekRocholl

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

MCB wrote:If their children work at The Hive, play football there, even eat the chicken then i'm hoping it will directly influence the local homeowners.

If the money brought in from the Hive pays for a couple of hospitals and schools in Harrow, reduces obesity, gets deprived kids into community activities then these are things that would encourage positive news coverage.
Nice thoughts Sam, unfortunately that is about as likely to happen as Barnet FC getting automatic promotion this season.

TK blew the opportunity to have a good relationship with the local community a long while ago and compounded things by falling out with the local press.
John_c

Hiveoccupier wrote:
MCB wrote:If their children work at The Hive, play football there, even eat the chicken then i'm hoping it will directly influence the local homeowners.

If the money brought in from the Hive pays for a couple of hospitals and schools in Harrow, reduces obesity, gets deprived kids into community activities then these are things that would encourage positive news coverage.
Nice thoughts Sam, unfortunately that is about as likely to happen as Barnet FC getting automatic promotion this season.

TK blew the opportunity to have a good relationship with the local community a long while ago and compounded things by falling out with the local press.
Yeah Sam, stop it with your nice friendly thoughts. Let the politicians deal with this, they're the experts after all...

I use Tapatalk like the cool kids
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
DerekRocholl

John_c wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:

Yeah Sam, stop it with your nice friendly thoughts. Let the politicians deal with this, they're the experts after all...

I suspect they are more expert on the voting intentions of people who live in Queensbury than almost all Barnet FC supporters. Good advice John.
Norfolkbee

When election time comes around, it suits politicians to portray football as still being rooted in the dark days of the 1970s. Anyone with any objectivity, who has ever attended a professional match this century would, of course, know this to be a complete myth. When was the last time there was any real trouble involving opposing groups of fans at a Barnet home game? I reckon you would have to go back to pre-Football League days for anything remotely significant.
The biggest concerns for residents living around any sizeable sporting venue are traffic, parking and litter, although these problems always appear to magnify in residents' minds when it comes to football, as opposed to any other sport when nobody appears to bat an eyelid. Try getting to Leicester Royal Infirmary on a Tigers' match day, or driving through Northampton - or even Bedford - when rugby is on. Try finding a parking space in places like Chelmsford or Taunton when 20/20 cricket is on. All present upheavals for local residents, but I bet nobody actively tries to force out the rugby or cricket clubs.
Last edited by Norfolkbee on 15 Feb 2018, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
MCB

Queensbury is a ward that is entirely Labour, but not an unrealistic conservative target. From 2014:
Michael Borio Labour 1643 16% Newly elected n/a
Sachin Shah Labour 1630 16% Re-elected -2%
Kiran Ramchandani Labour 1547 15% Newly elected n/a
Bharat Mistri Conservative 1300 13% - -2%
Peter Francis Mendes Conservative 1219 12% Not elected n/a
Panna Raja Conservative 1095 11% Not elected n/a
DerekRocholl

Norfolkbee wrote:When election time comes around, it suits politicians to portray football as still being rooted in the dark days of the 1970s. Anyone with any objectivity, who has ever attended a professional match this century would, of course, know this to be a complete myth. When was the last time there was any real trouble involving opposing groups of fans at a Barnet home game? I reckon you would have to go back to pre-Football League days for anything remotely significant.
The biggest concerns for residents living around any sizeable sporting venue are traffic, parking and litter, although these problems always appear to magnify in residents' minds when it comes to football, as opposed to any other sport when nobody appears to bat an eyelid. Try getting to Leicester Royal Infirmary on a Tigers' match day, or driving through Northampton - or even Bedford - when rugby is on. Try finding a parking space in places like Chelmsford or Taunton when 20/20 cricket is on. All present upheavals for local residents, but I bet nobody actively tries to force out the rugby or cricket clubs.
Can't say I have ever heard anyone going on about 1970s style football hooliganism. The last time I spoke to a local resident she actually quite liked the football but was infuriated that the landscaping and tree planting that was promised to address light spill and noise spread hadn't been completed.
Norfolkbee

Hiveoccupier wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:When election time comes around, it suits politicians to portray football as still being rooted in the dark days of the 1970s. Anyone with any objectivity, who has ever attended a professional match this century would, of course, know this to be a complete myth. When was the last time there was any real trouble involving opposing groups of fans at a Barnet home game? I reckon you would have to go back to pre-Football League days for anything remotely significant.
Can't say I have ever heard anyone going on about 1970s style football hooliganism. The last time I spoke to a local resident she actually quite liked the football but was infuriated that the landscaping and tree planting that was promised to address light spill and noise spread hadn't been completed.
I was merely highlighting perceptions that immediately put people on the defensive when the dreaded word "football" is brought up. This is frequently followed by the words "drunkenness" and "yobs". Apart from the Bees, I follow a Step 5 team, who moved to a new ground about five years ago. Gaining planning permission took over three years, including two seasons of ground share. The New ground is on the very fringes of the town (semi-rural in fact) and attendances are around 250 on a good day. However, the amount of opposition generated by residents of the only small estate nearby, whipped up by vote-catching politicians at district and county council election time, gave the impression that something tantamount to Millwall was moving in.
If screening and landscaping is a main problem at THL, then TK only needs to get a move on and complete it, thus taking at least one argument out of the equation. He was probably going to do it anyway, once the full development is complete.
John_c

Hiveoccupier wrote:
Really? You might want to look at Cllr Grandstands comments on a planning application for THL...

Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

John_c

Norfolkbee wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:
I was merely highlighting perceptions that immediately put people on the defensive when the dreaded word "football" is brought up. This is frequently followed by the words "drunkenness" and "yobs". Apart from the Bees, I follow a Step 5 team, who moved to a new ground about five years ago. Gaining planning permission took over three years, including two seasons of ground share. The New ground is on the very fringes of the town (semi-rural in fact) and attendances are around 250 on a good day. However, the amount of opposition generated by residents of the only small estate nearby, whipped up by vote-catching politicians at district and county council election time, gave the impression that something tantamount to Millwall was moving in.
If screening and landscaping is a main problem at THL, then TK only needs to get a move on and complete it, thus taking at least one argument out of the equation. He was probably going to do it anyway, once the full development is complete.
Cllr Grandstand made comments exactly along these lines when objecting to a planning application from THL.

Bee_Forever

Hiveoccupier wrote:
Interestingly at the same time as the recent supporters liaison group (deep breath Derek) there was also a scheduled meeting between the club and local residents group who meet the club every couple of months. 1 person turned up.

Tony and her did not see eye to eye on a few things but there was a mutual respect there and certainly not the hostility seen with BRASS.

On the tree issue. The trees in question relate to a blocking light from a nearby student campass not the hive. They were agreed as part of the planning permission for the site and paid for by these people also. They should by rights be on the train verge but TFL do not allow it. Tony is under no obligation to allow the trees to be built on his site but he is looking at it as a good will gesture.

This was stated by Tony and corroborated by the residents rep who seemed very knowledgeable about the issue.

This in part is why I am flabbergasted by the politicking going on. Call it naive or whatever you wish

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
alexbach

STAVROS wrote:Had some fairly inaccurate responses to my recent message, so lets get things right:
Fact 1
I would say my so called opinion is a lot nearer to fact than is appreciated.
Last season Barnet FC finished 15th, 11points above relegation position. Yes the difference between 15th and current place of 24th is only
a difference of 9. Yes last season was mediocre if not boring, so I apologise for using the word "Bombing" for current form. Its
WORSE, its depressing, we have lost 19 league games and looks like more to come, wake up please.
It reminds me of those days in Division 1 North Southern League, oh gawd that was bad times.

Fact 2
Yes I agree Saracens is about big money and they have debts to match it. However the Chairman has stated the best way to service a debt
is to get bums on seats by signing the best players from all round the world. End result, something worth while watching and well
attended. I wonder if that will ever happen at the Hive.

Fact 3
Yes Saracens have built a big stand and guess what, its positioned where there was not much there before. So I call that replacing
like with like, but on a bigger ambitious scale. Please note Barnet Shaftsbury Harriers still use Copthall after the temporary seats are removed before the Athletics season commences. Yes the Stand is dominating, why because its a fabulous state of the art building at a good distance from residential housing on the Copthall Park periphery. George Cohen's 1966 World Cup winners shirt is on display inside
on the staircase. How about that as a good relationship between Football & Rugby Union.
Can someone please tell did TK's proposal make allowances for the accommodation of the resident top class Athletics Club, Saracens proposal did. Maybe awareness of the bigger picture, made all the difference.

Fact 4
Saracens have made a big effort to reduce match day traffic. They put on shuttle buses from Mill Hill Broadway, Mill Hill East and
Edgware Station and yes its FREE FREE FREE. There is also public transport, buses and Northern Line.
There is also car parking for coaches and a number school car parking spaces on the outside of Copthall.

Fact 5
Finally someone is saying Saracens were not of non-league standard in the past. I attended a match at Bramley Road, Southgate
in 1988, there was about 300 people attending. At the time it certainly felt like a non-league set up.
They have come a long way in a very short time, something to respect & be proud of.

I hope this fills in any perceived holes in my last message sent to onlybarnet website.
Thank you stavros . Agree with point 5,from when I first moved to London in 89,and was about to make the point about the buses. Bridge tavern on Mill hill Broadway is rammed after big games

Sent from my 5046Y using Tapatalk
alexbach

alexbach wrote:
STAVROS wrote:Had some fairly inaccurate responses to my recent message, so lets get things right:
Fact 1
I would say my so called opinion is a lot nearer to fact than is appreciated.
Last season Barnet FC finished 15th, 11points above relegation position. Yes the difference between 15th and current place of 24th is only
a difference of 9. Yes last season was mediocre if not boring, so I apologise for using the word "Bombing" for current form. Its
WORSE, its depressing, we have lost 19 league games and looks like more to come, wake up please.
It reminds me of those days in Division 1 North Southern League, oh gawd that was bad times.

Fact 2
Yes I agree Saracens is about big money and they have debts to match it. However the Chairman has stated the best way to service a debt
is to get bums on seats by signing the best players from all round the world. End result, something worth while watching and well
attended. I wonder if that will ever happen at the Hive.

Fact 3
Yes Saracens have built a big stand and guess what, its positioned where there was not much there before. So I call that replacing
like with like, but on a bigger ambitious scale. Please note Barnet Shaftsbury Harriers still use Copthall after the temporary seats are removed before the Athletics season commences. Yes the Stand is dominating, why because its a fabulous state of the art building at a good distance from residential housing on the Copthall Park periphery. George Cohen's 1966 World Cup winners shirt is on display inside
on the staircase. How about that as a good relationship between Football & Rugby Union.
Can someone please tell did TK's proposal make allowances for the accommodation of the resident top class Athletics Club, Saracens proposal did. Maybe awareness of the bigger picture, made all the difference.

Fact 4
Saracens have made a big effort to reduce match day traffic. They put on shuttle buses from Mill Hill Broadway, Mill Hill East and
Edgware Station and yes its FREE FREE FREE. There is also public transport, buses and Northern Line.
There is also car parking for coaches and a number school car parking spaces on the outside of Copthall.

Fact 5
Finally someone is saying Saracens were not of non-league standard in the past. I attended a match at Bramley Road, Southgate
in 1988, there was about 300 people attending. At the time it certainly felt like a non-league set up.
They have come a long way in a very short time, something to respect & be proud of.

I hope this fills in any perceived holes in my last message sent to onlybarnet website.
Thank you stavros . Agree with point 5,from when I first moved to London in 89,and was about to make the point about the buses. Bridge tavern on Mill hill Broadway is rammed after big games

Well not non league quality but the stand at Cockfosters was little better than the one up the road here in Ystradgynlais

Norfolkbee

I touched on this earlier how rugby clubs go out of the way to work with their local communities. I was on the train coming back from Liverpool Street to Norwich after Barnet's victory over Leyton Orient last January. My carriage was full of Suffolk schoolboys coming back from watching Saracens at Copthall. They were loaded down with all sorts of freebies as souvenirs of their big day out.
There is very little professional sport in rural East Anglia, but I know for a fact that both Saracens and Northampton Saints actively encourage visits by kids from schools, youth groups and rugby clubs in the area and give them a bloody good day out.
It is all part of the way the RFU encourages clubs to grow their grow and promote their game. It sees this as its duty. Contrast this with the shambles that is the Football Association, which does very little to promote anything other than overpaid prima donnas and the money pit that is Wembley Stadium. It certainly lives up to its name by giving grassroots football and the fans practically sweet FA.
alexbach

Norfolkbee wrote:I touched on this earlier how rugby clubs go out of the way to work with their local communities. I was on the train coming back from Liverpool Street to Norwich after Barnet's victory over Leyton Orient last January. My carriage was full of Suffolk schoolboys coming back from watching Saracens at Copthall. They were loaded down with all sorts of freebies as souvenirs of their big day out.
There is very little professional sport in rural East Anglia, but I know for a fact that both Saracens and Northampton Saints actively encourage visits by kids from schools, youth groups and rugby clubs in the area and give them a bloody good day out.
It is all part of the way the RFU encourages clubs to grow their grow and promote their game. It sees this as its duty. Contrast this with the shambles that is the Football Association, which does very little to promote anything other than overpaid prima donnas and the money pit that is Wembley Stadium. It certainly lives up to its name by giving grassroots football and the fans practically sweet FA.
Several of my former students watched sarries at Wembley

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk
DerekRocholl

John_c wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:
Really? You might want to look at Cllr Grandstands comments on a planning application for THL...

I did say "anyone" John. Blackman is as bad as Coleman.