Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political football'

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
DerekRocholl

Re: Queensbury Labour - Epitomising BFC as 'political footba

Bee_Forever wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:When election time comes around, it suits politicians to portray football as still being rooted in the dark days of the 1970s. Anyone with any objectivity, who has ever attended a professional match this century would, of course, know this to be a complete myth. When was the last time there was any real trouble involving opposing groups of fans at a Barnet home game? I reckon you would have to go back to pre-Football League days for anything remotely significant.
The biggest concerns for residents living around any sizeable sporting venue are traffic, parking and litter, although these problems always appear to magnify in residents' minds when it comes to football, as opposed to any other sport when nobody appears to bat an eyelid. Try getting to Leicester Royal Infirmary on a Tigers' match day, or driving through Northampton - or even Bedford - when rugby is on. Try finding a parking space in places like Chelmsford or Taunton when 20/20 cricket is on. All present upheavals for local residents, but I bet nobody actively tries to force out the rugby or cricket clubs.
Can't say I have ever heard anyone going on about 1970s style football hooliganism. The last time I spoke to a local resident she actually quite liked the football but was infuriated that the landscaping and tree planting that was promised to address light spill and noise spread hadn't been completed.
Interestingly at the same time as the recent supporters liaison group (deep breath Derek) there was also a scheduled meeting between the club and local residents group who meet the club every couple of months. 1 person turned up.

Tony and her did not see eye to eye on a few things but there was a mutual respect there and certainly not the hostility seen with BRASS.

On the tree issue. The trees in question relate to a blocking light from a nearby student campass not the hive. They were agreed as part of the planning permission for the site and paid for by these people also. They should by rights be on the train verge but TFL do not allow it. Tony is under no obligation to allow the trees to be built on his site but he is looking at it as a good will gesture.

This was stated by Tony and corroborated by the residents rep who seemed very knowledgeable about the issue.

This in part is why I am flabbergasted by the politicking going on. Call it naive or whatever you wish

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Why do you think I would take a deep breath because the Supporters Liaison Group met. I'm very pleased to hear it is still going and would be even more pleased if you got a Trust, SA or something more democratic off the ground as per your BTiD posts.

As I said before the political parties in Queensbury have heavily canvassed the area. Not least because in addition to the council regularly changing hands Harrow East is a key marginal parliamentary constituency. They know there are no votes in doing anything other than saying they will oppose further development of the stadium. However you or anyone else tries to position things, and however flabbergasting you find it. that is the harsh reality of what will and wont work in the local election.