Time to scrap our youth teams?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
MCB

Time to scrap our youth teams?

And follow Brentfords lead.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/foot ... ed-scouts/

I was the biggest supporter of our youth programmes. But seriously, who has come through to stake a regular role? The Taylor's were released by Chelsea.

Time to adopt Brentfords strategy if our ultimate aim is improve what's happening in the first XI.
JWTBee

Re: Time to scrap our youth teams?

A very interesting well written article.However I think that our problem is that most of the 21 to 23 year olds aren't good enough for the first XI.
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!
jerroll

JWTBee wrote:A very interesting well written article.However I think that our problem is that most of the 21 to 23 year olds aren't good enough for the first XI.
2 classic examples - Mauro and Jamal Lowe, both came through our u18 team and player 1st team at a young age. After several loan spells away Mauro became a fixure in the squad due to versatility while Jamal was finally released before drifting between a couple of step 2 teams before finding a home at Hampton in step 3. He then got his move back to league football and now doing well at Pompey. the big question is how long do you wait with a young player?
becbee

I suspect all players who are still with a league club by the age of, say 18 years, have basic ability. What seems to make the difference then is attitude. As stated above, Mauro had several loan spells away. He wanted to succeed. Too many of our current young players seem to be quite content to just kill time making no discernible effort, just playing occasionally when we have reserve type matches. If they really wanted to kick on then they'd be pressing to go out on loan and get competitive first team football, then return to Barnet to push for the first team.
barnetjohn

I think there is a danger of drawing the wrong conclusion here.

This season we probably tried to rush too many young players into the team too fast, and too early a stage. But that doesn't mean that our youth setup is not good, or that the players there cannot turn into quality pros. We took the balance too far, and so we lacked, for example, experience players for them to play alongside when they came into the first team.

It's important to remember that the basic economics of having a youth academy is that you know only a fraction of the players are going to ultimately make it through to the first team. A youth setup is never going to grow you an entire team, but it can supply you, over time, with a backbone of a side. But even then, except in a couple of really exceptional cases (Man Utd 1992, Ajax at about the same time) that core won't all come through at the same time. If just one or two of those players goes on to a big transfer deal that's what pays you back financially.

I think in time, the academy will come good. We've already got money for Matty Stephens, Mauro has been a great find, and players like Jamal Lowe have gone on to do good things.
hoppy

Didn't we get money for the lad who went to Wolves?
#Beebot

barnetjohn wrote:I think there is a danger of drawing the wrong conclusion here.

This season we probably tried to rush too many young players into the team too fast, and too early a stage. But that doesn't mean that our youth setup is not good, or that the players there cannot turn into quality pros. We took the balance too far, and so we lacked, for example, experience players for them to play alongside when they came into the first team.

It's important to remember that the basic economics of having a youth academy is that you know only a fraction of the players are going to ultimately make it through to the first team. A youth setup is never going to grow you an entire team, but it can supply you, over time, with a backbone of a side. But even then, except in a couple of really exceptional cases (Man Utd 1992, Ajax at about the same time) that core won't all come through at the same time. If just one or two of those players goes on to a big transfer deal that's what pays you back financially.

I think in time, the academy will come good. We've already got money for Matty Stephens, Mauro has been a great find, and players like Jamal Lowe have gone on to do good things.
Great post.

We ought to be careful what you wish for when it comes to budget. We have had a significant budget over the past couple of years, our highest ever, and it has been absolutely blown. The biggest problem with the squad is too many piss poor backup players not performing well enough and blocking the path of the youngsters.
Last edited by #Beebot on 17 Feb 2018, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
#Beebot

hoppy wrote:Didn't we get money for the lad who went to Wolves?
Yes, it was undisclosed, but a figure of £100k was reported.
#Beebot

becbee wrote:I suspect all players who are still with a league club by the age of, say 18 years, have basic ability. What seems to make the difference then is attitude. As stated above, Mauro had several loan spells away. He wanted to succeed. Too many of our current young players seem to be quite content to just kill time making no discernible effort, just playing occasionally when we have reserve type matches. If they really wanted to kick on then they'd be pressing to go out on loan and get competitive first team football, then return to Barnet to push for the first team.
We don't know that they don't want to be playing football out on loan.
DerekRocholl

MCB wrote:And follow Brentfords lead.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/foot ... ed-scouts/

I was the biggest supporter of our youth programmes. But seriously, who has come through to stake a regular role? The Taylor's were released by Chelsea.

Time to adopt Brentfords strategy if our ultimate aim is improve what's happening in the first XI.
I think you will find the academy set up is a profitable part of the Hive business portfollo, unlike the football club.
BigBee

It costs upwards of £1.5m pa to run our set up.

Fail to see where a profit can be made, when Premier
clubs can just cherry pick where they like.

Read the article, it’s the same for us.
DerekRocholl

BigBee wrote:It costs upwards of £1.5m pa to run our set up.

Fail to see where a profit can be made, when Premier
clubs can just cherry pick where they like.

Read the article, it’s the same for us.
There is a fair amount to be made on registration transfers alone. I very much doubt TK would be putting so much effort into this die of his business if it was loss making.