Carlisle (THL) The Chicken McNugget and Ryce Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Jon83

Re: Carlisle (THL) The Chicken McNugget and Ryce Match Threa

WinchyBee wrote:We were fully in control at 1-0 and would have won the game if Big John converted, another game of "if's and buts" that's for sure but there comes a point where these "if's or buts" and "unlucky" points in match simply don't stack up anymore.

We've competed much more under Westley and I think the team looks stronger, faster and fitter but I think there's an underlying doubt in the squad where we concede and just collapse.

Carlisle were nothing special at all and only turned it on once they were 2-1 up, no way should we have lost that game, no way.

I have an ounce of faith for our recovery as we are competing in matches but unfortunately until our squad's mentality and nerves are addressed we won't go on a run to survival.

12 games left, time to forget about yesterday and take each game as it comes, we're likely to go down but I think now we have to just do our own thing and take each match as a cup final.
That's a very fair summary. I'd add that the 'underlying doubt' etc. also applies to the fans. We *know* we have to score 2 goals to win a game of football as we *know* we're going to concede. The penalty miss last night was just that. Every player misses penalties (Kane etc.) but it had such a negative impact on the whole stadium that a defeat was almost inevitable.

Carlisle completely bossed the last 30/35 minutes of the game and missed an absolute sitter in addition to the 3 goals they scored.

Ross has generally been sound but misjudged coming off of his line. There were also a few nervy handling moments. Clough with Mauro in front of him did ok, as did the two centre backs. Tutonda was fine. Watson & Weston were fine too. Mauro the standout player and it was a surprise when he was subbed. Nicholls put a shift in but not sure why he's played on the left. Nicholson tried but physically not cut out for this level yet and missed a great chance early on. Akinde - he played well! IF he had scored that pen, I'm sure the reports of him would have been he's close to getting back to the Akinde of old, particularly after his performance on Sat.

The result last night was gutting and probably ended our hopes of us 'realistically' getting out of this mess.

I would love to know why we didn't improve the squad during the transfer window. The 3 signings we did make might as well not have happened. MM (when he was manager) said we had identified targets etc yet a couple of weeks later, we were still identifying them.

After Accrington there was hope. After Carlisle there's none.
NoMagRyan

Jon83 wrote:I'd add that the 'underlying doubt' etc. also applies to the fans. We *know* we have to score 2 goals to win a game of football as we *know* we're going to concede. The penalty miss last night was just that. Every player misses penalties (Kane etc.) but it had such a negative impact on the whole stadium that a defeat was almost inevitable.
Very true and it's an even bigger shame because I thought the atmosphere was better than it had been for a long time up until that equaliser.
Bee52

I still cannot believe what happened last night. I think that there were 5 mistakes that moved us from a position of potential confidence and hopefully a place in the EFL to a complete debacle and probably more time for us to to be the non-league club that we're so often told by our rivals that we are.

Carlisle were a typically dour League 2 team who turned up with no wish to entertain, just to do the basics at the back, putting the ball into touch frequently and then hopefully get the breaks up front to nick a goal or two. Not a crime, but just very average. As seems to be the general consensus we played well enough for the first hour before the farce kicked in.

Mistake 1 - Obvious enough - JA's penalty. JA still a legend for us in my book, but seems to lack confidence and should not be taking the penalties based on current form. It just wasn't a smart penalty in the slightest.

Mistake 2 - Just after the penalty, Carlisle decided to put 3 subs on in the 63rd/64th minute. Arguably, this was the time GW should have countered by freshening things up also. It wasn't obvious maybe at that point, but JA looked like he'd run out of steam from after his penalty. Possibly a straight swap for him with Coolshirt would have served positively, together with putting on JT instead of one of the lightweight midfielders Watson or Nicholson. On this point though, hindsight's somewhat of a benefit.

Mistake 3 - What the hell was Craig Ross thinking? He had made a good decision with one attack slightly earlier to come out to win the ball, but this time rushing out like he did was never on.

Mistake 4 - What the hell was GW thinking re his substitutions? Our best player on the night Mauro taken off resulted in the team completely falling apart. Taking Nicholson off was correct, but probably almost everyone in the whole ground could see how much Mauro was influencing the game positively........apart from GW. Mauro had been pushing forward just prior to the substitution and maybe GW thought that he was playing out of position, but he was still a our main threat and best player at that point. Who knows what went through GW's brain? 4 minutes later and Carlisle scored to go 2-1 up. If we wish to play on the front foot as GW has stated, why remove the most front footed player from the field? What sort of an arsehole decision is that?

Mistake 5 - Our second best midfielder Curtis Weston, the only other starting midfielder (along with Mauro) who can read the game and put in a decent tackle, was taken off. It made sense to put a fresh attacker on, but it weakened the midfield even more and was underlined by the third goal which again came just 4 minutes after GW's secnd master stroke. I quite like Bover, but you might as well play a feather for all of the effect that he was going to have in that team last night.

Overall, like so many, I don't think I have felt so angry about a Barnet game for a long time, if ever. The team that started seemed to almost be the right one. It cannot however afford to have Watson, Nichols and Nicholson in there without some backbone. Mauro and Weston at least afford that, but take either of them away and like last night, the inevitable defeat/pile of sh*t is odds on to happen.

Oddly enough, I still think that GW may be able to fashion a side with a slim chance of staying up. For an hour we were at least an ok side and had we gone 2-0 up, we could have had a good platform and a bit of confidence to base the rest of the season on. Instead of this......................... FFS Barnet!!!!!
Itai-bee

There was a 5 min period last night, when we were 1-0 up.Carlisle had used all 3 of their substitutes.Their centre- half was limping quiet badly.It was at that moment that i thought Lady Luck had finally arrived.....And then, Carlisle scored that ridiculous equaliser.
CrawleyBee

Just a disastrous last 30 mins, confirms relegation (really pains me to say that) the players just aren’t up to league 2. I like GW a lot, but what ridiculous decisions last night, taking off Mauro was criminal. Got my ticket for Colchester unfortunately, won’t be doing to many games after that this season, to painful to go through the motions. Club needs a total overhaul from top to bottom, even if we did by some miracle stay up, what would change next season?
Formerly Watfordbee
LeftSideRun

Why do we have every player back in our area when defending free kicks? It gave them their only good chance in the first half and always keeps the pressure on us if we clear.
barnetpete

Bee52 wrote:
......................... FFS Barnet!!!!!
Great post Bee52. The above sums it all up perfectly.
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
Agewills

Bee52 wrote: Mistake 5 - Our second best midfielder Curtis Weston, the only other starting midfielder (along with Mauro) who can read the game and put in a decent tackle, was taken off. It made sense to put a fresh attacker on, but it weakened the midfield even more...
Agreed. Our midfield needs Weston as he gives us a bit of strength, without him we're too lightweight and there's no protection for the back and no linkage/drive forward to the front. We've struggled with a solid midfield all season and we're still struggling with it IMO.

As someone mentions above, whatever little hope there was after the Accrington game crumbled away in the last 30mins last night.
WinchyBee

Weston has been superb since his return, always looks the fittest player on the pitch too; great servant to the club.
Nudger70

LeftSideRun wrote:Why do we have every player back in our area when defending free kicks? It gave them their only good chance in the first half and always keeps the pressure on us if we clear.
Was thinking that meself especially when your 2-1 down in 87th minute. Mauro can be left up if you wanna bring JA back give you some kind of out ball
letchbee94

The 3 subs Carlisle made seemed to make a difference to them.
The guys at the back was good with the atmosphere they created.
BEE428

Bee52 wrote:I still cannot believe what happened last night. I think that there were 5 mistakes that moved us from a position of potential confidence and hopefully a place in the EFL to a complete debacle and probably more time for us to to be the non-league club that we're so often told by our rivals that we are.

Carlisle were a typically dour League 2 team who turned up with no wish to entertain, just to do the basics at the back, putting the ball into touch frequently and then hopefully get the breaks up front to nick a goal or two. Not a crime, but just very average. As seems to be the general consensus we played well enough for the first hour before the farce kicked in.

Mistake 1 - Obvious enough - JA's penalty. JA still a legend for us in my book, but seems to lack confidence and should not be taking the penalties based on current form. It just wasn't a smart penalty in the slightest.

Mistake 2 - Just after the penalty, Carlisle decided to put 3 subs on in the 63rd/64th minute. Arguably, this was the time GW should have countered by freshening things up also. It wasn't obvious maybe at that point, but JA looked like he'd run out of steam from after his penalty. Possibly a straight swap for him with Coolshirt would have served positively, together with putting on JT instead of one of the lightweight midfielders Watson or Nicholson. On this point though, hindsight's somewhat of a benefit.

Mistake 3 - What the hell was Craig Ross thinking? He had made a good decision with one attack slightly earlier to come out to win the ball, but this time rushing out like he did was never on.

Mistake 4 - What the hell was GW thinking re his substitutions? Our best player on the night Mauro taken off resulted in the team completely falling apart. Taking Nicholson off was correct, but probably almost everyone in the whole ground could see how much Mauro was influencing the game positively........apart from GW. Mauro had been pushing forward just prior to the substitution and maybe GW thought that he was playing out of position, but he was still a our main threat and best player at that point. Who knows what went through GW's brain? 4 minutes later and Carlisle scored to go 2-1 up. If we wish to play on the front foot as GW has stated, why remove the most front footed player from the field? What sort of an arsehole decision is that?

Mistake 5 - Our second best midfielder Curtis Weston, the only other starting midfielder (along with Mauro) who can read the game and put in a decent tackle, was taken off. It made sense to put a fresh attacker on, but it weakened the midfield even more and was underlined by the third goal which again came just 4 minutes after GW's secnd master stroke. I quite like Bover, but you might as well play a feather for all of the effect that he was going to have in that team last night.

Overall, like so many, I don't think I have felt so angry about a Barnet game for a long time, if ever. The team that started seemed to almost be the right one. It cannot however afford to have Watson, Nichols and Nicholson in there without some backbone. Mauro and Weston at least afford that, but take either of them away and like last night, the inevitable defeat/pile of sh*t is odds on to happen.

Oddly enough, I still think that GW may be able to fashion a side with a slim chance of staying up. For an hour we were at least an ok side and had we gone 2-0 up, we could have had a good platform and a bit of confidence to base the rest of the season on. Instead of this......................... FFS Barnet!!!!!
Mistake 6 - Watson needlessly giving away the free kick which lead to Carlisle's 3rd goal
Prediction League Champion 2012/13 & 2013/14
HertsBee

However much Akinde is loved by everyone, he needs to be rested. We need goals and more than 1 in a game and at the moment, JA can't hit a cows arse with a banjo. Try starting Coulthirst with Akinola and Big John on the bench. Before people start berating me for this comment, We need to look at now and the next few games, and not what JA has done in the past. Clough, Nicholls, Sweeney, Watson, Weston and some other players have all been slagged off on here, but all have come back and time to time been praised. I think maybe with the struggle we are having, JA is having too much pressure on him to score all the goals we need. Maybe coming off the bench with 20-25 minutes left, he might just get the 1 chance he needs, and then the confidence hopefully will return. All is not lost yet, and as other things have been chopped and changed around, why not try this. Nothing to lose as we are not scoring regularly and winning as things are at the moment.
LeftSideRun

I would not even consider dropping Big John. Penalty aside (which he won), he was our main attacking threat. Some vintage Big John in the first half.

Akinola was out injured last night. He was missed.
ninestein

Agree about Akinola. We missed his effect from the bench. Shaq hardly touched the ball and looks a different player compared to the start of the season.

Hope Brindley and Akinola are fit soon. Anyone know how bad the injuries are?
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!