Ray Wilkins

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
John Hunt

Ray Wilkins

Absolutely gutted to hear of the passing of Ray Wilkins today. I loved watching him play as a kid and have always had a soft spot for AC Milan after he signed for them.

I always respected his punditry. He was positive and kind. I enjoyed the dinner he was guest of honour at The Hive. I thought he would be a good shout as Barnet Manager at one point. He did not dismiss the idea when I put it to him.

A good player, a gentleman, a football man. May he rest in peace.

Did he ever grace our pitch at Underhill ?
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926
jerroll

Re: Ray Wilkins

Qpr league cup 2nd rnd 1993/4 - checked my trusty rothmans football yearbook and he wore 4. I remember him turning out for Orient at Brisbane Road against us in 97 which i'm sure was the game Mullery couldn't understand why we were winning yet chanting mullery out!
john dockers shorts

Yep remember watching him for Orient versus us in a mid week game at their place.
John Hunt

Thanks both
FCBFCSA Manager / Former committee member of BFCSA and BFCSA1926
letchbee94

Sad to hear.
Was a pundit worth listening to.
Seen some clips of him from his playing days, he scored some cracking goals.
amberforever

I remember the league cup game well. A real honour to have him at Underhill. A real gent, always positive in his analysis, a joy to watch his skills. RIP Ray

ps how did he ever get the nickname "butch"?
alexbach

Saw Butch playing alongside his brother. Graham apparently worked at Heathrow. Long before the silly money. Scottish title and English fa cup. Possibly big bro was responsible for the nickname, acquired in childhood

Sent from my 5046Y using Tapatalk
Last edited by alexbach on 05 Apr 2018, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
BigBee

amberforever wrote:I remember the league cup game well. A real honour to have him at Underhill. A real gent, always positive in his analysis, a joy to watch his skills. RIP Ray

ps how did he ever get the nickname "butch"?
Tom Watt told me that he hated the nickname “ Butch “
Barnetchris

My first ever football match was watching England schoolboys v Italy at Wembley 1973 in that team was a very young Ray Wilkins, Alan Curbishley and Tommy Langley.
TWS

Only time I saw him play was at Orient when Linvoy Primus headed an early goal for us in a 1-0 win. Was obviously well past his best but sad to hear.
ninestein

TWS wrote:Only time I saw him play was at Orient when Linvoy Primus headed an early goal for us in a 1-0 win. Was obviously well past his best but sad to hear.
That was the day Linvoy was being man-marked by Scott McGleish. Wilkins stay at Orient was only short term. I recall he said afterwards that the ball was too much in the air for his liking!
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
alexbach

Totally different world. Captained Chelsea as a teenager, when they were a selling club. Now they rarely unearth English talent since Terry and if they do, pack them out on loan like Tammy at Swansea. Rip

Reckless

Everybody seems to have a charming story about him, here's mine.
When he managed at QPR 1990's I had a meeting with the club Secretary at Lotus Road (longer story) and Ray walked into the office while we were talking. He immediately apologised even though it was his office and laughed "Is this the new centre half You told me about? He looks more senior than I hoped !" "I'm a Barnet fan" I told him and with that he said "Come on what you really need is a drink matey and I'll tell you all I know about Ray Clemence! He made the three of us coffee and when the meeting finished he told me a few things indeed all with a twinkle in the eye and with great affection. It had even me lost for words. Sincerely he just made me so comfortable as though you had known him for years. I still have one or two tales of Clem to share!
alexbach

Reckless wrote:Everybody seems to have a charming story about him, here's mine.
When he managed at QPR 1990's I had a meeting with the club Secretary at Lotus Road (longer story) and Ray walked into the office while we were talking. He immediately apologised even though it was his office and laughed "Is this the new centre half You told me about? He looks more senior than I hoped !" "I'm a Barnet fan" I told him and with that he said "Come on what you really need is a drink matey and I'll tell you all I know about Ray Clemence! He made the three of us coffee and when the meeting finished he told me a few things indeed all with a twinkle in the eye and with great affection. It had even me lost for words. Sincerely he just made me so comfortable as though you had known him for years. I still have one or two tales of Clem to share!
Excellent. My own story exclusively in the Newport programme

Reckless

I'll buy two Boyo!