Going defensive

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
n2bumble

Going defensive

Now I am a big fan of Martin Allen (ps John10 and other nutters I am not actually MA) check our league position the day he joined and the day he left. (Yeh yeh foff you know which spell I'm talking about). End of argument.

But I HATE HATE HATE defensive substitutions.

It invites pressure. It begs a demoralised opposition to have a go and sends the message: "We are frightened of you."

It suppresses our support and invigorates the enemy.

If you want to protect a 1-0 lead send on two strikers ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK.

Shomotun should be brought on on the hour. Tired defenders hate him and can't read his movement. He always has an impact.

MA was lucky to get away with it today. Playing 6-4-0 was a massive error in my view but a win's a win.
BeesKnees

Re: Going defensive

Dont care how MA does it, we need 3 wins in the next 4 games to put Loudmouth on a diet.
barnetpete

It’s not lucky.

MA did it in his last spell on a number of occasions, games v teams like Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers and Luton I seem to rememver. It’s about organisation and hard work. It’s not pretty but it works
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
LoudmouthBFC

BeesKnees wrote:Dont care how MA does it, we need 3 wins in the next 4 games to put Loudmouth on a diet.

:laugh: :laugh:
n2bumble

Those subs made every forest green player an attacker. It was a ffin shocking final 20mins.

It worked...just
n2bumble

JohnTen wrote:Leave off big dog. First of all it's JohnTen, not 10. Ten spelt with a T not 10 that begins with a 1.

And it's called game management. Sometimes it's better to go defensive and tighten up, other times it's better to see the game out how you are, and other times it can work if you play on the counter with attackers or try and keep the ball and kill the game.

There's no one way to do anything buddy. If the result is positive, then whatever tactics were used were the right thing. Stop whinging. Eat some chicken legs and have a bath, preferably at the same time.
I notice you didn't question me calling you a nutter :D :D :D
n2bumble

barnetpete wrote:It’s not lucky.

MA did it in his last spell on a number of occasions, games v teams like Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers and Luton I seem to rememver. It’s about organisation and hard work. It’s not pretty but it works
This is fair enough. But I reckon we were more at risk of conceding after those subs than before?
letchbee94

It is what Martin Allen does, he wins us football games.
Norfolk & Chance

The number of last minute or very late goals that we've conceded this season costing us valuable points is ridiculously high.

That we've managed to hold out this time in a crucial match could be huge for our season.

It's a little curious that the subs today are being questioned.
I'd understand it if it was the first game of the season with all to play for but it isn't, it was win today, or almost certainly be relegated.
Let's wait til next season to question how we actually won a game.
StephenM

I can understand Akinde going off, already booked, the last thing needed was him getting a second and missing any of the remaining games. It worked, Barnet win, be happy.
jzsbee

With about 15 minutes to go MA was telling players to go to the corners because "we don't need another goal".
pauln50

Listening at home to the commentary they pointed out that one of the training staff was sent round and had a word with all the ball boys early in the second half!
dawat

I wasn't too sure how to exactly comment on this to be honest. A win is a win, so it's very hard to criticise what was done by MA. That said I consider that the tactic succeeded as much down to a poor team facing us as it was to good tactics by MA. Had we bee facing a more potent attacking team I think we could have struggled to hold on for a draw!
Akinde coming off after a booking and starting to look tired probably makes sense. That said, turning the game into an attack v defense in its purest form didn't make sense as in training the defence rarely gets way without letting any goals in. From my perspective we didn't really seem to be set up to lure Forest Green onto us so that we could counter punch and get a quick breakaway goal, as the players brought on were overwhelmingly there to defend, which they did successfully.
So a win is a win, but thanks I think primarily to ineptitude of the opposition rather than the tactical change of MA in the second half.
let_it_bee

I think you also have to give credit to Coulthirst and Watson for their efforts towards the end in holding the ball up and trying to keep it in the FGR half, albeit only for short periods of time. I felt that if we could have allowed one or two others to go forward we could have kept possession in their half for longer, which surely means you're reducing the risk of conceding.
becbee

FGR were a poor team who'd barely raised a threat to our goal until we went so defensive, at which point we seemed to be defending for our lives. Sure we didn't need to go Gung Ho for a second goal but to invite pressure was also unnecessary. Still we won so MA will say his tactic worked - but against better opposition I'm not convinced that the equaliser wouldn't have gone in.
FRG fans on their forum seem most unimpressed with their team. Can't say I blame them.