A Labour Council in Barnet ?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Masuka

Re: A Labour Council in Barnet ?

Was always going to be a tough ask for Labour to win over a borough that houses the biggest population of Jewish people in the UK.
Once a Bee ALWAYS a Bee
alexbach

Jack Cohen and Agnes Slocombe both lost their seats, after donkeys years.
know Agnes who was part of the Windrush from Barbados with my friend and former colleague Johnny, who is back on the island
Agnes was as dignified in defeat as I would expect. there may be local issues in West Hendon of which I am unaware. Hard to think of it as Tory
DerekRocholl

Very disappointing result for Labour in Barnet. While there were undoubtably local issues the big picture of the day was the collapse of the UKIP vote and the return of their supporters (what did Cameron call them again ?) to the Tory fold. No doubt Brexit issues played apart to with many centre left Remain supporters conflicted on who to vote for.

Very sorry to hear Jack Cohen lost his seat. Of all Barnet councillors he was the one you could consistently rely on to fight Barnet FC's corner.
Shmulib100

rudebwoyben wrote:
becbee wrote:It's been acknowledged by Labour that they've lost votes due to the anti Semitism issue.
Yes, I bet Jonathan Arkush and the rest of the Tory supporting Board of Deputies will be pleased with that one. Never mind, Barnet council's issues with their extensive use of Capita and Carillion.

Not so long ago the Labour Party had a very strong support base in the Jewish community. I guess members sending death threats to their own Jewish MPs (and non-Jewish MPs who took a stand against it) etc made them feel somewhat unwelcome. Or did the Board of Deputies arrange all that too?
DerekRocholl

Shmulib100 wrote:
rudebwoyben wrote:
becbee wrote:It's been acknowledged by Labour that they've lost votes due to the anti Semitism issue.
Yes, I bet Jonathan Arkush and the rest of the Tory supporting Board of Deputies will be pleased with that one. Never mind, Barnet council's issues with their extensive use of Capita and Carillion.

Not so long ago the Labour Party had a very strong support base in the Jewish community. I guess members sending death threats to their own Jewish MPs (and non-Jewish MPs who took a stand against it) etc made them feel somewhat unwelcome. Or did the Board of Deputies arrange all that too?
Have the people who made these death threats been arrested ?
Norfolk & Chance

And therein lies the problem with Labour..................
Shmulib100

Hiveoccupier wrote:
Shmulib100 wrote:
rudebwoyben wrote:

I believe some have. Most of 2500+ messages were presumably anonynous...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -wavertree

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/la ... h-11669051

http://www.bbc.com/news/topics/cxw7v4rgv6wt/john-mann
DerekRocholl

Shmulib100 wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:
Shmulib100 wrote:
Labour that they've lost votes due to the anti Semitism issue.

I believe some have. Most of 2500+ messages were presumably anonynous...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -wavertree

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/la ... h-11669051

http://www.bbc.com/news/topics/cxw7v4rgv6wt/john-mann
[/quote]

I don't doubt that MPs of Jewish origin get extremely vile communications including death threats. There are some seriously unpleasant people about.

I just haven't seen a case where a person who is a paid up member of Labour Party has been arrested let alone convicted for making death threats against an MP of any religious persuasion.

If there are members making such threats they should be arrested and convicted. The idea that the Labour Party or for that matter any political Party rather than the police should take the lead in dealing with this sort of behaviour from such scum is ridiculous.
dawat

Guys as a completely non-aligned voter politically, I can both wash my hands of some things and take credit/blame for others dependent on which vote and year someone refers to. In fact I am the bane of political parties as none of them can rely on my vote. No doubt some of you with strongly held political views will despise me for being like this.
Well why am I like this? Being pretty long in the tooth my natural political convictions changed over the years as I found myself more in tune politically with one party after another. I also found myself at times being more anti one party than the one I actually voted for. What some would term a protest vote. I used to say jokingly that the best governments were always in opposition. Once they stopped being the opposition and got elected they also became rubbish.
So it is with some amusement that I read the comments of supporters who have strong views in favour of one party or another. To me I trust all politicians about as far as I can throw them. The leaders of parties, whatever their vowed intentions made no doubt in good faith (most of the time) become influenced both by those around them who have their own agendas and by the self interest of retaining power. What is that old saying, "absolute power corrupts absolutely".
I can see no reason for discarding my political cynicism. There is certainly nothing about the current crop of leaders that inspires belief or devotion in me to their avowed crusades. As a firm believer in the principles of democracy it would be nice to perhaps believe otherwise, but I have yet to be persuaded that democracy is only an inconvenience to most politicians that has to be paid lip service to every few years before returning to business as usual.
hoppy

Three Labour Councillors elected to the Queensbury ward of Harrow.
Counting still ongoing in the other wards.
alexbach

West Hendon had never previously been Tory. As well as anti semitism, there are number of nouveau riche people moved to the area

Sent from my 5046Y using Tapatalk
alexbach

alexbach wrote:West Hendon had never previously been Tory. As well as anti semitism, there are number of nouveau riche people moved to the area

Hence all of Barnet turned on this area

hoppy

In Harrow Labour hold.
Labour 35
Conservatives 28
finchleyman

alexbach wrote:West Hendon had never previously been Tory. As well as anti semitism, there are number of nouveau riche people moved to the area

I didn't think there were any Jewish people in West Hendon. I cannot understand how West Hendon has suddenly turned Tory. Does anyone know the real reason? It can't be the nouveau riche surely?
finchleyman

I didn't think there were any Jewish people in West Hendon. I cannot understand how West Hendon has suddenly turned Tory. Does anyone know the real reason? It can't be the nouveau riche surely?