Martin Allen no longer Barnet Manager

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
becbee

Re: Martin Allen no longer Barnet Manager

Norfolkbee wrote:
becbee wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:I throw my hands up in despair. What is TK playing at? Is he happy with us being a National League club? How long will it be before he surfaces to explain his way out of this one?
For Heavens Sake, read what MA said. He says TK did all he could to get him to stay, that it is entirely his decision.
Blame TK where blame may be due but not on this one.
Sorry, but I just have no faith in this ending well. I just shudder when I think of TK's record at choosing managers. Hope he proves me wrong.
That's an entirely different point and one that's hard not to concur with.
Stingtastic

tonbridgebee wrote:As for the player's contracts, maybe there is a PFA or FA ruling that they must be dealt with within 7-14 days of the season end? In which case it was either MA or TK to preside over this, imo he's released the right players and Akinde needs a new challenge, a great servant and player for us, but time to move on.
I think there is a ruling along these lines.
TWS

I honestly dread to think what sort of clown we could be employing by this time next week. Or will it drag out, all the decent available players will have been snapped and we'll be left with an even more clueless manager than ever before coming in in eight weeks time who's only transfer activity is resigning Andre Blackman and an Adam Gross equivalent. Not like it hasn't happened before and with TK's track record with abysmal managers I'm not optimistic at all now.
letchbee94

Sounds like TK did his best to try and keep him.
Reading between the lines it seem Martin has something else lined up (I might be wrong)
Would be very surprised and disappointed if he goes to Chesterfield though, others have said MK and Northampton, they are good shouts.
GenkiDev

MA will do what he always does - he'll go for the largest pay packet - and who can really blame him?

I'm expecting him and Akinde to wind up at MK Dons tbh.

Don't know why, but this development has actualy angered me. Our dreams of smashing the NL next season leave with him imo.
tonbridgebee

GenkiDev wrote:MA will do what he always does - he'll go for the largest pay packet - and who can really blame him?

I'm expecting him and Akinde to wind up at MK Dons tbh.

Don't know why, but this development has actualy angered me. Our dreams of smashing the NL next season leave with him imo.
Let's see who we get first, Waddock would give us a shot at it, one or two others maybe as well. Whilst it is disappointing news, we've moved on without him before and sometimes succeeded.
barnetjohn

I have read the statement a few times. It's quite unusually worded in not giving *any* reason for Martin going. Here's my take:

1. We know from statements on Tuesday that MA was in negotiations about his future role. Since his contract was only for eight games it must surely mean those talks were about an extension.

2. The fact that TK had MA involved in discussions about who to retain and let go means both sides thought there was a decent chance of concluding a deal.

3. The statement goes out of its way to say it isn't TK's fault and it mentions TK's budgetary offer. My guess is that both sides wanted it worded like this : TK to avoid criticism from fans that he just wasn't willing to pay enough and MA to avoid looking too mercenary.

4.The absence of any mention of reasons why means we can rule out that Martin doesn't want a full time management role for health or other reasons. If that was the reason it would have been in both of their interests to say so.

5. I infer that the deal fell through for reasons other than financial haggling over smallish amounts of money. Either
i) MA had another *much* better offer about to come through either in terms of salary or prestige and there was no viable way to keep him. But because it wasn't agreed and to save face this was a form of words that could be used.
ii) The two couldn't agree on the scope/reporting lines of the manager's role. There's a fairly obvious tension between MA's old school "sole manager" style and TK's complicated multi-person management structure. They could overlook this for eight games just to try to save the club's league status, but couldn't reach a longer term solution.
barnetjohn

And let's not forget MA's astonishing performance may have turned made him a very attractive prospect for other clubs. Taking a basket case bottom placed club and turning them into a side with title winning form may well have turned a few heads. I imagine in particular that club' s who have just been relegated or otherwise need to do a quick turnaround/refit would look at MA as a fantastic candidate. Wouldn't surprise me if a club with bigger financial resources that sees themselves as underperforming at their current level would make him a tasty offer.
northantsbee

It might be that Mad Dog did not want James Thorne as Director of Football, or whatever his title is this week. Thorne came in after Mad Dog left for Eastleigh. As Barnetjohn said MA is an old school manger and he would want control of transfer dealings.
Going Indieground 7pm Tuesday, https://www.madwaspradio.com/
Norfolkbee

northantsbee wrote:It might be that Mad Dog did not want James Thorne as Director of Football, or whatever his title is this week. Thorne came in after Mad Dog left for Eastleigh. As Barnetjohn said MA is an old school manger and he would want control of transfer dealings.
If that was the case, TK could simply have jettisoned Thorne. He wouldn't be missed and I hope that he will be gone before long in any case. Spend the money on something worthwhile.
barnetjohn

Yes. I did wonder if disagreements about transfer policy and who gets to make those decisions were a cause of the deal breaking down. That would also explain why MA and TK could agree something in March (when the transfer window was shut for the duration of MA's contract) but couldn't do a deal in January or now.

It would be consistent with the wording of the statement today. Though other scenarios would be consistent with that as well.

I have to say *if* (and it is a big *if*) TK has chosen to retain the current system at the cost of losing MA that is a poor decision.