Yes it's frustrating but...

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
barnetjohn

Yes it's frustrating but...

let's be a bit consistent in our approach to managers' loyalty.

I get why it's frustrating to see MA go to Chesterfield. I hoped he'd stay and in some ways him leaving was as much of a blow as relegation itself.

But some of the abuse and bile being dished out on social media by Barnet fans is over the top and also a bit inconsistent.

He wasn't under contract at Barnet FC and he'd avoided saying anything about future plans.

Calling him "Judas" for betraying us is quite strong. Especially if you are the arguing for us to get Gary Waddock (under contract at Aldershot) or Luke Garrard (under contract at Boreham Wood) in as a replacement.

You can't simultaneously view Martin Allen as treacherous for leaving a club (to which he wasn't contracted) and then just view Luke Garrard or Gary Waddock as as sensible rational people moving to where they'd rather be when that involves them breaking a contract.

Sure it's frustrating to see MA at our conference rivals. But I bet Boreham Wood or Aldershot fans would feel similarly if their boss ends up at the Hive.

I'd have hoped TK could reach a deal with MA, not least because Barnet seems better located for a southern based manager. And the Hive gives us a good financial footing relative to most conferences sides.

But people should tone down some of the stuff being said.
Last edited by barnetjohn on 15 May 2018, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
rudebwoyben

Re: Yes it's frustrating but...

Well said! :y: :y: :y:
jerroll

good stuff John, can't argue with that at all.
barnetpete

:ohlord: :y: :y:
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
becbee

Of course Borehamwood / Aldershot or any other club who has their manager poached will/ would feel aggrieved.

I have no axe to grind with Chesterfield. They were entitled to approach a manager who was out of contract. And after all, it's only because their previous managers failed that they had their vacancy in the first place.

My opinion of MA and the way he's treated TK is my issue. I just hope that when Chesterfield sack him - which they will, one day - my one hope is that TK does not invite him back for stint number 6.
barnetjohn

Has he treated TK that badly? Based on the information out there I don't think he has done anything wrong. He never said he'd stay beyond eight games and studiously refused to offer any hint as to future plans.
I don't see any evidence he has reneged on a deal or acted in faith.
aclassman

MA hasn't done TK any wrong this time
The contract was for just the 8 games and he stayed for all 8 matches

If TK feels let down then he should of penned on a clause but didn't so only himself to blame if he is upset that MA has gone to Chesterfield.
You can't have your cake and eat it TK
barnetjohn

Agreed. There's always a tradeoff- offer someone a longer contract and then you get to keep them (or at least the right to compensation if poached) if things turn out well. But if stuff goes badly you're locked in and have to pay them off to get rid of them. No-one's clairvoyant so you have to take one risk or the other. Like betti g on horses or buying shares - everyone is a genius with the benefit of hindsight! Easy to find examples of both errors being made by clubs inthe past.

I think TK was right to offer a eight game contract. Partly because it was easier for TK & MA to be able to overlook any fundamental differences of view about management scope and structure and basically say "let's juat do it for eight games and then think about longer contracts after that".
Stingtastic

barnetjohn wrote:let's be a bit consistent in our approach to managers' loyalty.

I get why it's frustrating to see MA go to Chesterfield. I hoped he'd stay and in some ways him leaving was as much of a blow as relegation itself.

But some of the abuse and bile being dished out on social media by Barnet fans is over the top and also a bit inconsistent.

He wasn't under contract at Barnet FC and he'd avoided saying anything about future plans.

Calling him "Judas" for betraying us is quite strong. Especially if you are the arguing for us to get Gary Waddock (under contract at Aldershot) or Luke Garrard (under contract at Boreham Wood) in as a replacement.

You can't simultaneously view Martin Allen as treacherous for leaving a club (to which he wasn't contracted) and then just view Luke Garrard or Gary Waddock as as sensible rational people moving to where they'd rather be when that involves them breaking a contract.

Sure it's frustrating to see MA at our conference rivals. But I bet Boreham Wood or Aldershot fans would feel similarly if their boss ends up at the Hive.

I'd have hoped TK could reach a deal with MA, not least because Barnet seems better located for a southern based manager. And the Hive gives us a good financial footing relative to most conferences sides.

Damn you and your logic
Stingtastic

barnetjohn wrote:let's be a bit consistent in our approach to managers' loyalty.

Stop your logic - it's not going to be welcomed here.....
letchbee94

Top post John.
Just what I was thinking.
letchbee94

becbee wrote:Of course Borehamwood / Aldershot or any other club who has their manager poached will/ would feel aggrieved.

I have no axe to grind with Chesterfield. They were entitled to approach a manager who was out of contract. And after all, it's only because their previous managers failed that they had their vacancy in the first place.

My opinion of MA and the way he's treated TK is my issue. I just hope that when Chesterfield sack him - which they will, one day - my one hope is that TK does not invite him back for stint number 6.
Yeah but Tony keeps coming back to Martin. no 1 forced him to get him back in March.
ape1968

letchbee94 wrote:Top post John.
Just what I was thinking.
100% spot on John
"The feeling of stepping out for Barnet for the first time was the same as a Champions League match. It is just joy"

Edgar Davids
LoudmouthBFC

NEVER!!!! how dare he come in to try and save us, then walk away. When he wasn't on a contact.
Attachments
NEVER!!!!
NEVER!!!!
R5p9G94.gif (4.45 MiB) Viewed 2519 times
Nudger70

Once we failed to stay in league 2 always felt he was going elsewhere. Never thought he’d go too the one club that finished below us. Was only the decisions on the squad gave us false hope.