FA Trophy

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
hoppy

Re: FA Trophy

If memory serves me right I think we only had around 4000 at Wembley for the Stafford Rangers Trophy final. We were hugely out-numbered that day.
pgbee

hoppy wrote:If memory serves me right I think we only had around 4000 at Wembley for the Stafford Rangers Trophy final. We were hugely out-numbered that day.
They had an end, we had a small part of a side plus random scattering, including myself. It was embarrassing given how far we had to travel. But then northern towns liked a day out! I went to Wimbledon v Chorley in the Trophy in the 70s when our game at Basingstoke was cancelled and Chorley brought 16 coaches...
alexbach

ahh..... enjoyed the trophy finals I saw featuring the "dross" of north ferriby, Stevenage and forest green. I am sure their fans had an amazing experience, even though, of those I saw , only stevenage triumphed. There may be a risk of some finals being outsourced, time will tell
rudebwoyben

I think we could take up to 20k if we got to Wembley.
barnetpete

360 odd thousand residents in Barnet, plus those new ones from the borough of Harrow, reckon we can sell it out and require a jumbotron on the pitch at the hive to cope with the over demand.
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
eastbarnetsupporter

rudebwoyben wrote:I think we could take up to 20k if we got to Wembley.
We just about got 6,000 for a promotion day out / relegation decider. Where would this after 15,000 come from? We don't have enough of a wide net to warrant this.

I'd say 10,000 is the max it would be and that's pushing it.
Norfolk & Chance

If Palace fans can boost Bromley then I'm sure Arsenal fans would support us, especially at Wembley.
5000+ on a dark Tuesday night in Manchester suggests a Wembley appearance on a Saturday or Sunday would see a very healthy turnout.
I'd say well over 10,000.
I just hope we find out one way or another.
rudebwoyben

eastbarnetsupporter wrote:
We just about got 6,000 for a promotion day out / relegation decider. Where would this after 15,000 come from? We don't have enough of a wide net to warrant this.

So, how did Bromley with an average home support of 1,000 manage to get an extra 17,000 supporters for their Wembley appearance?
becbee

Quote from the Bromley message board:

"Sadly so many day-trippers made it difficult, many of whom weren't watching the game and didn't seem bothered whether we won or lost".
CrawleyBee

Think we would take 10 to 12k. Would be great to put it to the test.
Formerly Watfordbee
barnetjohn

My views on the FA Trophy haven't changed- it's a distraction that generates a lot of extra games, particularly at the back end of a season. The two legged semi-finals on Saturdays are particularly damaging to the fixture list. The problem is compounded by the promotion arrangements for the conference: only one automatic place means there's little margin for error in the league if you want to avoid the playoffs. The tournament has been further weakened by the introduction and then expansion of the playoffs which generate an alternative route to Wembley involving a greater prize and no fixture congestion issues. With six teams in the playoffs and four going down that means few conference sides will have nothing to play for in the league until April time so few conference sides take it seriously.

Ultimately I think it's a competition past it's sell by date. It made sense as a legacy from the old FA Amateur Cup but has gradually lost it's sparkle since automatic promotion was introduced. The obvious reform would be remove conference teams from it, perhaps merging with the FA vase.

I'd field a youth team in it with the odd first teamer who wanted to recover fitness or form.
eastbarnetsupporter

rudebwoyben wrote:

So, how did Bromley with an average home support of 1,000 manage to get an extra 17,000 supporters for their Wembley appearance?
I think they have a wider net of day trippers than us, our net isn't so big.

I'd be very happy but surprised if we took 17,000 to Wembley..
eastbarnetsupporter

barnetjohn wrote:My views on the FA Trophy haven't changed- it's a distraction that generates a lot of extra games, particularly at the back end of a season. The two legged semi-finals on Saturdays are particularly damaging to the fixture list. The problem is compounded by the promotion arrangements for the conference: only one automatic place means there's little margin for error in the league if you want to avoid the playoffs. The tournament has been further weakened by the introduction and then expansion of the playoffs which generate an alternative route to Wembley involving a greater prize and no fixture congestion issues. With six teams in the playoffs and four going down that means few conference sides will have nothing to play for in the league until April time so few conference sides take it seriously.

Ultimately I think it's a competition past it's sell by date. It made sense as a legacy from the old FA Amateur Cup but has gradually lost it's sparkle since automatic promotion was introduced. The obvious reform would be remove conference teams from it, perhaps merging with the FA vase.

I'd field a youth team in it with the odd first teamer who wanted to recover fitness or form.

What is the difference between the FA Trophy and FA Vase? Why do they even exist? Is this just a non-league FA Cup?
jerroll

barnetjohn wrote:My views on the FA Trophy haven't changed- it's a distraction that generates a lot of extra games, particularly at the back end of a season. The two legged semi-finals on Saturdays are particularly damaging to the fixture list. The problem is compounded by the promotion arrangements for the conference: only one automatic place means there's little margin for error in the league if you want to avoid the playoffs. The tournament has been further weakened by the introduction and then expansion of the playoffs which generate an alternative route to Wembley involving a greater prize and no fixture congestion issues. With six teams in the playoffs and four going down that means few conference sides will have nothing to play for in the league until April time so few conference sides take it seriously.

What is the difference between the FA Trophy and FA Vase? Why do they even exist? Is this just a non-league FA Cup?
FA trophy is for clubs in the top 4 steps (level) of non league football., the Vase is for step 5 and below clubs with floodlights. Why shouldn't they exist - cups were great until the likes of Sir Alex & Wenger started treating them as competitions for reserve players.
ealingbee84

FA Trophy-tiers 5-8 (levels 1-4)
FA Vase tiers 9-11 (levels 5-7)

I would say the Trophy is like the non league Caribau cup and Vase the non league Checkatrade trophy (Could be harsh as the Vase is a more relevant trophy in my view).

They are actually very good money raisers for lower league teams. I assume raised so lower down teams can have success as they generally do not get good runs in the FA Cup. The below links show the prize money for each competition. By 1969 many non league teams were semi pro and not amateur so they had to make a trophy for them to enter, back then also the Conference was far behind what it is now regarding wealth. The FA Vase was basically the amateur cup but teams in the 9th tier do pay players and in 10th possibly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%9318_FA_Vase
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%9318_FA_Trophy

Many Clubs in the National League still take them seriously, Barnet just never have to the best of my recollection. I understand why but it is sad. In the last 5 years however Barnet have taken little care about any cup.