Aldershot (Away) The Opening Shots Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
shankbee01

Re: Aldershot (Away) The Opening Shots Match Thread

hgbee wrote:Elito terrible. Harrison terrible. Adams terrible. Robson suspect. Walker looks good. El sharp as ever. Cousins can’t kick. Why isn’t Sweeney the skipper. Alexander is okay. Fonguck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John_c

shankbee01 wrote:
hgbee wrote:Elito terrible. Harrison terrible. Adams terrible. Robson suspect. Walker looks good. El sharp as ever. Cousins can’t kick. Why isn’t Sweeney the skipper. Alexander is okay. Fonguck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Relegation this season, no doubt Image

I use Tapatalk like the cool kids
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
Bee_Forever

And yet we should have won comfortably.

Think you are being very harsh on some of our players. Harrison was unfit and Elito was not terrible.

Our current injury list.

Reynolds- Captain, starter
Santos - 1st team regular
Boucard - best midfielder
Vilhete - My POTY last year
Akinola- dangerous at this level
Tarpey - our only natural goalscorer
....and Harry Taylor

That's 4/5 guaranteed starters missing from a line up who have not played a competitive match together.

To play as well as we did in encouraging.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
BeeBoi1980

Decent point. Looked solid. Could have won given the number of times we hit the woodwork, but they were all a bit scrambled if memory serves. We still have 5 players to come into this first team, I'm assuming our strongest XI is:

-----------------------Cousins-------------------
--Alexander--Reynolds--Santos--Johnson--
---Vilhete--Sweeney--Boucaud--Sparkes---
----------------Tarpey--Harrison---------------

Then we have Akinola to come back as a further threat off the bench, I'm assuming our strongest bench is:

Matrevics, Tutonda, Adams, Akinola and Coulthirst

And then on top of that we have plenty of other players who wouldn't look out of place in the team:

Robson, J Taylor, Fonguck, Elito and Walker

And there are plenty of other adequate players in the squad too. That's a pretty strong squad at this level. Shame we couldn't get the three points yesterday, and it's a shame we are again starting the season with half the team injured, but I expect us to have a good season. 7/1 to be promoted looks generous.
Nlites123

Having attended 3 of the pre-season games, I can say that this was vastly improved and more coherent performance than those run-outs. This was a performance reminiscent of some our best games in the Conference last time out (without the goals...but seriously, an inch or two away from 4 or 5?).

With some of our top players still to return, more games for the new squad to get familiar, I'm sticking my neck out and saying that this will be a great season.

And if Aldershot are meant to be one of the better teams in this league, then we looked substantially better than them in every department.

COYBS!
barnetjohn

That was a decent opening game. We looked solid at the back, whereby far the better team and probably should have won it. Good tactical substitutions by Still which brought us back in control of the game as soon as Aldershot looked like they were on top.

Hard to judge much in basis of one game but it was a decent start. Aldershot reached the playoffs last year so look like being a decent side.

Onwards to Tuesday where three points are a must.
letchbee94

Happy with draw, good to start season with a positive result and now we got 2 games at the Hive which you would like to think we will win.
Agree with Musuka about looking good at set pieces, just need someone on the end of them.

Decent start.
LoudmouthBFC

Aldershot Town F.C. 0 v Barnet F.C. 0 | Banjo meet cows ass | Gameday Vlog (04/08/18)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2oNdG7G3GQ&t=2s
MCB

LoudmouthBFC wrote:Aldershot Town F.C. 0 v Barnet F.C. 0 | Banjo meet cows ass | Gameday Vlog (04/08/18)

Enjoyed that. Also noticed your massive teenage mutant ninja turtles tattoo :D
ETBee

Some thoughts on Saturday's game:

We Bees fans were as quiet as I can remember at an away game. There seemed to be no energy in the fans. Standing where we were rather than on the usual covered terrace didn't help but I think it was partly the disappointment of finding ourselves back in the Conference but also because we were watching a team which we didn't immediately relate to. Only three players at the start had played for us before (Wes, Johnson and Sweeney). So it was a bit like being a neutral at a game. This may be why some felt the game was boring (!).

The fact that it was basically a new team may have been the reason that we seemed unsure what to do as we approached the goal.

Plenty of skill in the team but they need to get their formations working. And why didn't our players just take a few shots at goal? We seem to only interested in getting into good crossing positions rather than actual scoring. Somebody needs to take some responsibility in the box.

Although Johnson played well Aldershot seemed to find it very easy to progress on the right and create chances but they are suffering from the same problem as us in terms of no goal threat.

Harrison needs to raise his energy and determination by about 30%.

By the end after the onslaught on their goal the Shots felt that they were very lucky to come away with a draw.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game but we really must rack up a few goals.

PS. I see that Akinde only lasted 70 minutes on Saturday.
Looking forward to
LoudmouthBFC

MCB wrote:
LoudmouthBFC wrote:Aldershot Town F.C. 0 v Barnet F.C. 0 | Banjo meet cows ass | Gameday Vlog (04/08/18)

Enjoyed that. Also noticed your massive teenage mutant ninja turtles tattoo :D

:hi:
bigjohnakinde

Dominated the game apart from the first 20 mins and don't know how we didn't end up scoring!

Class performance from Sweeney again and thought Alexander was good bombing forward and Sparkes' set piece delivery was top draw.

Johnson struggled - poor on the ball, slow and does not advance when we are attacking. Tutonda has to start ahead of him in future.
Adams and Fonguck struggled massively in the middle of the park frequently giving the ball away.

Harrison put himself about well and was a good physical threat. Just a shame he missed 2 sitters.
foxy

agree the atmosphere was really poor from Barnet

Wait till our new team witnesses the hive
becbee

The home atmosphere at Aldershot is always very good from their fans behind the goal, although even they lost heart as the match progressed. I was in the stand which was nice and shady but I guess our fans on the open terrace were far too overcome with the heat to have much energy for singing!
Reckless

What put me off slightly was having to stand next to a bunch who starting singing "EIEIEIO Up the Football League we go....." then it petered out rather quickly as they realised we ain't in it no more.
Atmosphere and support is not only measured by chanting in unison. When we got corners or free free kicks the noise level rose. It was also as someone suggested a lovely afternoon in the sunshine and an underlying feeling that we were in no real danger of loosing that game at any time apart from the cross come shot that nearly caught out Mr Cousins!.