Vs Harrogate problems and solutions

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Guiseleybee

Vs Harrogate problems and solutions

So many things were wrong at Harrogate last night. In summary:

Left hand side -defensively wide open and offensively no threat. Johnson and Kyei completely ineffective.

Central midfield- completely overrun for most of the game bar a 15 minute spell in the first half. Taylor and Adams out muscled, out played.

Up top – Harrison offered no goal threat whatsoever. Being kind, perhaps he just needs more games to get up to speed. Shaq was busy and showed a few nice touches but took an absolutely woeful penalty (which no Barnet players even appealed for).

The only small positive was the performance of EMC on the right. Looks like he deserves a run of games there. Begs the question though, why on earth did we sign Elito who has been atrocious and wasn’t even on the bench last night?

Seems like Reynolds and Boucard are big losses right now from what others have said from pre-season observations so surely we will improve when they return. But rumblings last night that Boucard will be out for a while.

With the games coming thick and fast it’s vital we improve, and quickly. So what can be done bearing in mind JS has made it perfectly clear he has a ‘tried and tested’ way of doing things and won’t change – read set 4-4-2 formation.

For me the changes JS can and should make asap that will help are:

Tutonda – Start him. Be it left back or left midfield we desperately need his power and pace. Johnson looks like he’s lost a yard and Kyei just isn’t up to it. One of them needs replacing, probably Johnson and then at least we have some speed on that side with Sparkes providing crosses.

Sweeney – Move him to midfield. He was immense as a CENTRAL MIDFIELDER at the end of last season and with Boucard out for the foreseeable future we lack presence, bite and physicality in there. Not sure who should play alongside Sweeney in midfield but he needs to play there instead of centre back. Sweeney has a mistake in him as a defender in most games (was at fault for one of the goals last night).

Loans – Moving Sweeney further forward leaves the problem of who will play centre back with Robson in the short term until Reynolds returns and if Harrison isn’t going to improve, also the problem of who leads the front line. I’d say we need a centre back and centre forward on loan NOW.
rudebwoyben

Re: Vs Harrogate problems and solutions

Sounds like a thorough analysis to me.
I wouldn't say that Still is wedded to deploying a 4-4-2 formation. He deployed us in a 3-5-2 formation during his first spell with us pretty much all of the time. Maybe that would be an improvement and it would be an opportunity for Tutonda to play in his most effective position.
BeeBoi1980

Good post.

We need to arrest the slide. Forget players coming back soon, promotion / relegation etc., the first job is to address the problems that are losing us games, on a game by game basis.

In agreement with the OP and to build on what they've said, I see the issues and possible solutions as follows:

GK: Cousins has under performed a little, it's worth giving Matrevics a game or two, he's imposing and performed well in pre-season. I'm not saying drop Cousins, just use the squad.

RB: I'm disappointed with Alexander, he looks like he has the attributes to beat his man, but backs off. Hopefully changes around him can help his confidence to take his man on more often.

CB: Robson may not have been first choice here but is probably one of our best two players this season so far.

CB: Talking of which, the other, Sweeney, need to be played further forward as per the OP, maybe try Darnell Smith in here until Santos or Reynolds are fit.

LB: Elliot is normally solid, but Tutonda was one of our better performers last season and deserves a go here given Elliot has come in for some stick.

RM: EMC whilst not setting the world on fire certainly deserves an opportunity here given the lack of pace and commitment and alternatives in the position so far.

CM: We're woeful here, Sweeney is our hard man, he needs to play here, breaking up opposition attacks and protecting the CBs.

CM: One strong CM isn't enough, we need more steel here, Adams and Taylor haven't given us that, give Fonguck another go alongside a proper CM partner.

LM: OK, so we've patched up in defence and CM, we know Sparkes has a wand of a left foot, we can now afford to carry a slower less physical player and let him to what he does best.

AM/FW: Harrison is not good enough, certainly not now anyway, it's a waste to play him. So we either play someone behind our forward, or another forward alongside. If Barnham or Walker aren't good enough, then play Taylor in a more advanced postion, we can afford to given the stronger players behind him.

FW: Shaq, he's the best we have available.

So that's the patch up job. Its a more solid side. And when players come back from injury they can slot into the team.

The fans have a right to feel the way they do, I hope they keep perspective and stick with their fellow fans.

TK is bearing a lot of the brunt. Whilst I don't think we can blame him too much for this season (he got an experienced proven manager and backed him in the transfer market), he got us here in the first place with his manic chopping and changing. I want to say he needs to change his ways, address the fans more appropriately, bring in a football man (not PF, MM or JT) to run the club, but he's a stubborn old goat. He's done as much good for the club as bad though, so whilst a fresh face could help, it could equally hinder. He does need to address a number of issues though (groundhog day).

JS. Come on John, you're being accused of being arrogant. We know that's not you. Lay everything on the table. Enough excuses (the pitch should not have mattered to us last night). You're probably partially a victim of what has happened here for the last few seasons. Nevertheless, speak openly, address the issues, work hard on the training ground, and get the lads pumped. It's the least the fans deserve.
jerroll

Darnell Smith didn't appear at all in preseason so i suspect he must be in the kabba room or the pollit bureaux have failed announce if hes gone on loan somewhere!
BeeBoi1980

Damn. I'd even try Johnson at LB and Tutonda at CB then. But that's a little less solid.
finchleyman

I would try Tutonda up front. He played one game last season up front (he was moved to that position during the match) and was great - can't remember which one it was.
gowerfan

No move Johnson to midfield and play Tutonda at left back. That would give us more control and bite in the midfield. Johnson has played there effectively before.
bigjohnakinde

Johnson is a weak link and he needs to be out the team. Tutonda at LB.
Stuart

Johnson to midfield - never!

We need Tutonda in and rest Johnson, he tries hard but can't head the ball and opponents know it, also his passing is weak.

We must persevere with EMC even if his performance are going to be patchy. A very good run to the bye line and dangerous cross on Tuesday night, and against Hampton and Richmond ( I know, a friendly and lower level team) he played very well.

I'd like to see Sule given some time. I saw him play in Ireland against a couple of the better teams there and he was outstanding, a Kante type of performer - great stamina and he breaks up play, picks up loose balls and passes tidily. Not a starter but a place on the bench. I can only assume that he's not performing in training.

As one who moaned when Sweeney was in the wilderness ( I saw him play superbly at Kingstonian) I can't now quite understand the eulogising of him. Yes, great confidence / arrogance on the ball, but he concedes free kicks and goals and has a temperament issue. Give him a try in midfield but he won't transform things. In time, and with more discipline, he could become a superb centre back, just too risky currently - however with injuries possibly no alternative ( Payne, Smith, Tutonda?) Sparkes is a problem for me, currently weak in open play but worth having just for his free kicks and corners? I'm not sure.
#Beebot

I've heard that Sule is ignored mainly due to his height. Eames didn't care but sadly many managers do.
PAC66

#Beebot wrote:I've heard that Sule is ignored mainly due to his height. Eames didn't care but sadly many managers do.
Its a pity, as I think in a midfield 3 you could carry the lack of height. Incidentally, Harrogate captain in midfield was on the shorter side - played well and didn't do them any harm (did have a mouth on him though - was surprised the ref tolerated the abuse!)