Ebbsfleet (THL) The Brylcream Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
#Beebot

Re: Ebbsfleet (THL) The Brylcream Match Thread

Sule was highly rated in Ireland. We've just had a succession of agricultural managers who won't play a centre mid of his size.
becbee

Harrogate had a titch in midfield, number 4 Josh Falkingham. He didn't seem to have any problems due to lack of height.

Bryon Harrison is a current example that tall players aren't necessarily good in the air.
LoudmouthBFC

becbee wrote:Harrogate had a titch in midfield, number 4 Josh Falkingham. He didn't seem to have any problems due to lack of height.

Bryon Harrison is a current example that tall players aren't necessarily good in the air.
Was

You’re right. He ran the show. Everything went through him
northantsbee

We've had our own fair share of short players that have stood out, Sam Deering and Derek Payne spring immediately to mind
Going Indieground 7pm Tuesday, https://www.madwaspradio.com/
WinchyBee

becbee wrote:Harrogate had a titch in midfield, number 4 Josh Falkingham. He didn't seem to have any problems due to lack of height.

I actually think Harrison has been pretty good in the air. He's won his fair share of headers but his flick-ons come to nothing, it's very hard to flick a ball on to nobody running past you. That said, he's had a few chances in the air and has failed to convert. Time will tell...
let_it_bee

One of the problems with Harrison seems to me to be that he's too easily out-muscled by stronger central defenders. He's got the height but not the physique. I know we've been spoilt by having JA these past few years, but even Braintree and Eastleigh had guys up front who may not be prolific goalscorers but at least had the strength to win the ball, hold it up and make the simple lay-offs. We've yet to even see that from Harrison.
WinchyBee

let_it_bee wrote:One of the problems with Harrison seems to me to be that he's too easily out-muscled by stronger central defenders. He's got the height but not the physique. I know we've been spoilt by having JA these past few years, but even Braintree and Eastleigh had guys up front who may not be prolific goalscorers but at least had the strength to win the ball, hold it up and make the simple lay-offs. We've yet to even see that from Harrison.
Fair point. However, the way we've started the season (often going 1-0 down or chasing a game against a team who are happy for a draw) he's been pinned against both central defenders. It's hard for a striker to influence the modern game like that with his back to goal against a team playing a deep-line.

Hopefully we'll start well on Saturday, go 1-0 up and see how he can be effective in a winning team because let's be honest, who looks good in a losing team?
natwilk

This was something that gashman was so good at - winning the ball with his back to goal and holding it up or lay it off to big John. We miss him!
... All we have to do is keep winning the next game ...
ninestein

I was thinking the same thing. Gash was really good at holding off defenders. The ball would stick and our attacks had purpose.

I have to admit i was in the camp which wasn't too bothered about us letting Gash leave. At the time i thought he wasn't the sort of player we needed to take us upto the next level. Right now we need a player with that sort of physique in the side.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
#Beebot

ninestein wrote:I was thinking the same thing. Gash was really good at holding off defenders. The ball would stick and our attacks had purpose.

I have to admit i was in the camp which wasn't too bothered about us letting Gash leave. At the time i thought he wasn't the sort of player we needed to take us upto the next level. Right now we need a player with that sort of physique in the side.
Injuries did Gash a lot of damage unfortunately. As was the case with Togwell we were right to let him go, but he was never adequately replaced.
tomrose72

Gash is at King's Lynn isn't he? He's 31, so still got a couple years in him. He may be slightly out of shape having been playing part-time football for a season after his return from a long-term injury, but wouldn't mind having him back.

Can't be too expensive and certainly can't be any worse than anything we've got at the moment.
#Beebot

The forward we had on trial in the Hampton & Richmond game reminded me of Gash from the little we saw of him. He might be one of the players Still wanted to add to the squad who TK has said we can't sign until players have been offloaded. The problem is that right now the players we most need to offload are the ones Still has signed!

I am not sure how we would offload them unfortunately. Our best bet would probably be bankrolled NL South clubs like Billericay and Concord.
Afrobee

#Beebot wrote:The forward we had on trial in the Hampton & Richmond game reminded me of Gash from the little we saw of him. He might be one of the players Still wanted to add to the squad who TK has said we can't sign until players have been offloaded. The problem is that right now the players we most need to offload are the ones Still has signed!

I am not sure how we would offload them unfortunately. Our best bet would probably be bankrolled NL South clubs like Billericay and Concord.
What planet are you on Beebot? Do you really think the likes of Billericay or Concord Rangers would be in the market for Barnet rejects? I think we all need a reality check. We are absolutely dire right now and if we were to play Billericay or Concord today I think the result would be the stuff of nightmares!!! Remember they are only 5 or 6 places below us at this moment and I wouldn't be at all confident for us facing any the top 5 Conference South sides and I could pick a handful of Step 3 teams that could quite easily turn us over at the minute.

I really think that our years in League Two has really pulled us into a parallel universe and have failed to notice how high the non league bar has now been raised compared to a few years ago.
let_it_bee

Not sure I've ever felt less motivated to go to a game than I do this morning, except perhaps in McGhee's time. I'm really hoping Still will try something different today, because the 'formula' clearly isn't working. I'd go with a shape similar to England in the World Cup - 3 at the back - Johnson could slot in as left sided centre back. Then Tutonda and Alexander as wing backs, Adams in the holding role, Coulthirst up front and Taylor, EMC and Sparkes hopefully providing some creativity between them. Obviously that would mean keeping the ball on the ground, so Still won't go for it, but for me just ploughing on with Harrison as the focal point is never going to work.
#Beebot

Afrobee wrote:
#Beebot wrote:The forward we had on trial in the Hampton & Richmond game reminded me of Gash from the little we saw of him. He might be one of the players Still wanted to add to the squad who TK has said we can't sign until players have been offloaded. The problem is that right now the players we most need to offload are the ones Still has signed!

What planet are you on Beebot? Do you really think the likes of Billericay or Concord Rangers would be in the market for Barnet rejects? I think we all need a reality check. We are absolutely dire right now and if we were to play Billericay or Concord today I think the result would be the stuff of nightmares!!! Remember they are only 5 or 6 places below us at this moment and I wouldn't be at all confident for us facing any the top 5 Conference South sides and I could pick a handful of Step 3 teams that could quite easily turn us over at the minute.

I really think that our years in League Two has really pulled us into a parallel universe and have failed to notice how high the non league bar has now been raised compared to a few years ago.
I'm only saying that bankrolled clubs are susceptible to signing shot "names" from higher up, Concord and Billericay have a few already. Harrison and Elito have enough pedigree to still find clubs easily on their name alone.