AFC Fyld£ (TWV) The Fylde of Dreams Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Beeznizz

Re: AFC Fyld£ (TWV) The Fylde of Dreams Match Thread

Mr Smart wrote:He was very impressive. Reminded me how we missed having Harrison in our team.
I didn’t think he was impressive at all!

The back three shackled Rowe for most of the game ( a good snap shot that hit the post aside ) and could see how frustrated he was by it.
He then went out to the left once we went 442 near the end of the game, but to no avail!
Agreed, he is a decent striker and maybe on another day scores, but for me today, he looked very ordinary!

Well done to Sweeney, Robson & Jules.
dpa

ETBee wrote:I think we have to accept that Fylde looked much more professional than us. Our players always look as if they don't seem to know what to do, lack confidence and that there's no pattern in our play. It's all about bluster.

To me Fylde's approach was:

always keep in your mind that the objective of the game is to get the ball in the opponent's net, not to pass the ball backwards or sideways
position yourself so you can take a pass
pass simply
keep the ball moving quickly with the overall aim to get nearer the opposition goal
before you pass the ball can you move forward i.e. towards the opponent's goal ?
play to the strengths of your team mates
as Bob Paisley said, " If you find yourself in the penalty box and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we can discuss the options later"

We do the opposite.

Wes was driving me mad as when he got the ball in a perfect position to cross the ball he waited until he was surrounded by Fylde players before he did anything and, of course, lost the ball. He and Alexander are two of the worst culprits who pass backwards or run backwards.

We are winning and drawing games by endeavour rather than organisation or use of skills.
I couldn't agree more with this post. Bang on.

Fylde looked like a team that knew what they were doing, were well drilled, knew where to pass it, able to pass accurately, ran into space when not on the ball, gave options to their team mates, closed us down, looked composed on the ball going forward and overall a very polished side.

We were the complete opposite - not embarrassingly so butdid feel like we were the weaker team in all departments. Disjointed. Afraid to go forward (apart from Totunda). Lacked vision when on the ball and off the ball. Didnt find space. Didnt give options. There were so many average performances from our players. We were lucky to get a draw. Cant believe the miss from the No11 - wow. Was expecting to see the net bulging after that. Cousins did well overall and he was let down by his central defenders for their goal - no one tracked him and keeper was caught in a no win situation.

Overall a very below par performance. 5/10. Need to do better.
BEE428

I thought our new left back Jules looked good
Prediction League Champion 2012/13 & 2013/14
amberforever

Yes, thought Jules looked good. It’s up front where there’s a glaring shortfall. Our forwards didn’t look like they were at the same game whereas Flyde did.
jerroll

amberforever wrote:Yes, thought Jules looked good. It’s up front where there’s a glaring shortfall. Our forwards didn’t look like they were at the same game whereas Flyde did.
indeed, did Barham and Shaq play together during pre-season? shows how july was a complete waste of time and why we are so far off the pace.
Letsbeehavinyou

BEE428 wrote:I thought our new left back Jules looked good
Did we play 4 at the back??
#Beebot

Letsbeehavinyou wrote:
BEE428 wrote:I thought our new left back Jules looked good
Did we play 4 at the back??
No it was Jules at LCB.
becbee

Beeznizz wrote:
Mr Smart wrote:He was very impressive. Reminded me how we missed having Harrison in our team.

The back three shackled Rowe for most of the game ( a good snap shot that hit the post aside ) and could see how frustrated he was by it.
He then went out to the left once we went 442 near the end of the game, but to no avail!
Agreed, he is a decent striker and maybe on another day scores, but for me today, he looked very ordinary!

Rowe has scored 114 goals in the past 3 seasons and was NLN Player of last Season. The fect that we frustrated him yesterday is a compliment to our defence.
Reckless

becbee wrote:
Beeznizz wrote:

Rowe has scored 114 goals in the past 3 seasons and was NLN Player of last Season. The fect that we frustrated him yesterday is a compliment to our defence.
I agree with that, defence was very good against a very competent side.
We are seriously woefully short of a goal scorer, our finishing was shocking and lacklustre. 14th place beckons unless we do something quickly. I was watching the pre match shooting practice - see the dents in the South Stand facia?
amberforever

Never had that problem on the old West Bank shelter! Solid.
letchbee94

Our defending has got better which is just as well as we keep giving the opposition so much time and space at times when they come forward.
pletch99

Reckless wrote:We are seriously woefully short of a goal scorer, our finishing was shocking and lacklustre. 14th place beckons unless we do something quickly. I was watching the pre match shooting practice - see the dents in the South Stand facia?
Frankly I have no idea of whether we are short of goal scorers or not. For me the problem is that going forward we look like a team of individuals who have no idea what their team mates are going to do or where they should run. As a consequence we often end up running into trouble as the defence crowd us out or make a pass which looks awful because the intended receiver is on a different wavelength.

To some extent it can be put down to the disruption caused by injuries - I'm pretty sure that Shaq and Barham have never played more that a few minutes together, where as there were signs that Harrison and Barham were starting to form an understanding.

We are also too light weight in midfeld - I like both Fonguck and Taylor going forward neither is the best defensively. Wes in particular has all the attributes to be a box to box midfielder, but at the moment he isn't aggressive enough in the challenge and often doesn't compete for balls he could win.

Finally I find Shaq ever so frustrating to watch - clearly talented, but all too often he goes down much to easily or is knocked off the ball very easily. He often doesn't get into the box after playing a part in a move i.e. he will make a pass, but then stays where he is rather than busting a gut to get into the box for the return.
Jon83

It was a good point considering the performance of both sides.

Fylde looked a decent side. Passed the ball well and created a fair few opportunities, particularly in the second half. Our left side appears the most potent. Tutonda and Fonguck actually have an understanding of how each other plays and they often link up. As alluded to above, this isn't repeated throughout the team. Too many 'individuals' albeit injuries are obviously a major issue. Barham & Harrison were starting to build a decent partnership but the latter is out for the next couple of weeks.

Robson is our outstanding defender at the moment. Sweeney is not far behind although he makes too many mistakes. I would like to see him in midfield if/when Reynolds returns. Boucard is apparently ready to return and will be involved in the squad from now on. If we continue to play a 352 then one of Taylor and Wes will have to be dropped.

Up top - Barham missed Harrison. Shaq is one of the most frustrating strikers we've had in recent times. Has talent as shown by his goal but he spends the majority of games slipping over and losing control of the ball.

The bench, at the moment, offers very little. I think we're a mid table team at the moment - hopefully the injured players returning will see us become a top 5 team.
LoudmouthBFC

Barnet F.C. 1 v A.F.C. Fylde 1 | Stale.............mate | Gameday Vlog (22/09/18)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD6bzFCna7A