TV coverage - was that it?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Edd1

TV coverage - was that it?

I am normally a fan of the BBC. Of all the major broadcasters I think they do a pretty good job, today though they have seriously pissed me off.

This weekend 8 games, involving 16 clubs, were moved to a Sunday 12.45pm kick off for the sake of their TV coverage. That is a pretty obnoxious kick off time at the best of times, particularly if you are an away fan. And this weekend of all of them, with many wanting to attend remembrance day events, it was even more difficult.

Personally I could have made it, I would have had to rearrange a few other personal jobs etc but with it being 90 mins travelling each way from my front door I decided that instead I would stay home and watch it. Being 8 games I of course didn't expect to see the whole game. What I did expect though was that from 12.45 to 2.30pm most of what was on the screen would be live coverage of various games, including bits of ours.

What did I get instead? Mostly people in the studio talking to each other, half the time not even about the games that were being shown. The football actually shown included footage of games many years old that the pundits had actually played in. When they did go to the game quite a lot of it was a talking head at the game, without the game actually being shown. The Guisely v Cambridge game was particularly bad for that.

I am half tempted to sit with a stop watch (I recorded it in case we pulled off a big result) and add up how much live TV coverage of FA cup football there actually was. If it comes to more than 20 mins I'll be surprised.

Football fans get messed about enough for proper TV coverage, but to get messed about for that utterly pathetic effort and on today of all days is particularly offensive.
LeicesterBee

Re: TV coverage - was that it?

Agreed, it was abysmal.

I was, maybe naively, expecting all 12.45 kick off games to be available to watch in their entirety using the ‘red button’. Instead I reverted to listening to the BBC Radio Bristol commentary (don’t get me started on that either!) with BBC2 on mute in the background.
Out of all the games, I think ours had the least ‘live’ coverage and they didn’t even show the sending off!
Letsbeehavinyou

Just watched the highlights from the game on the bbc sport site and they don’t show the two BR chances that hit the bar but instead show the final whistle being blown. V odd.
Psycho

Letsbeehavinyou wrote:Just watched the highlights from the game on the bbc sport site and they don’t show the two BR chances that hit the bar but instead show the final whistle being blown. V odd.
They did show them on the BBC just after they happened but our match probably had the least amount of coverage shown (as well as Mansfield v Charlton). TBH, I didn't have a problem with it. Not to show the sending off was weird though. Without sounding big-headed I don't think the Beeb wanted to show our quality ground with the two big stands as it makes us look a sleeping giant.

Having Trevor Sinclair on was poor form considering what he was charged with earlier this year (drink-driving and racist abuse to a policeman - on wikipedia). The self pity and "I've been through a tough time" was his fault and no one else's. He added nothing to the programme. Kevin Kilbane was much more respectful to the first round of the FA Cup.
Jon83

The only benefit of the game being moved to today was that we received £12.5k from the BBC. The BBC is a shambles when it comes to sport/live sport.
hoppy

There's only two senior games of football in the UK on Wednesday 21st November, Rovers v Bees and Hartlepool v Gillingham.
Any chances the Beeb or BT might show one of the games (preferably ours)?
ninestein

They may look at it and see the Hartlepool tie as the one most likely to yield a shock owing to Pools having home advantage. But i hope they show us, that way I'll get to see it
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
PBBee

How do you know the replay is on the Wednesday already out of interest?

No brainer to show Hartlepool out of those 2 though unfortunately.
becbee

I didn't see yesterday's coverage but I did see it last season / season before. Ex players in a studio who knew nothing about the clubs playing that afternoon so filled the gaps between the goals with chat about Premier League matches that weekend. It was only worth watching if you weren't particuarly interested in the clubs who were actually playing.
ninestein

Surely it would have made more sense to show a live game for the audience at home, but show the goals from other matches as they happen during the breaks in play?

I think that would offer far more entertainment the neutral fan watching in on terrestrial TV. Another non-league team would get their big day on the telly as well. Just think, they could have shown the Guiseley Vs Cambridge game. 4-3 goals galore, an upset to hark on about for years to come like they do with Warrington. Missed opportunity.

Not everyone has Sky or BT Sport. The older generation like my Grandfather of 90, sitting at home on a Sunday afternoon would have loved to see a good old fashioned cup tie like that.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
StephenM

ninestein wrote:Surely it would have made more sense to show a live game for the audience at home, but show the goals from other matches as they happen during the breaks in play?

I think that would offer far more entertainment the neutral fan watching in on terrestrial TV. Another non-league team would get their big day on the telly as well. Just think, they could have shown the Guiseley Vs Cambridge game. 4-3 goals galore, an upset to hark on about for years to come like they do with Warrington. Missed opportunity.

Not everyone has Sky or BT Sport. The older generation like my Grandfather of 90, sitting at home on a Sunday afternoon would have loved to see a good old fashioned cup tie like that.
They switched off the Cambridge game just as Cambridge were attacking, 2 minutes to go, having just scored their 3rd. Even those in the studio couldn't believe that to be fair to them.

On the flip side, why the need to show interviews with the Liverpool and Fulham managers during a programme on the 1st round of the FA Cup. Idiot BBC.
amberforever

They caught me out showing some live and some replays. They said it’s still 1:0 to Barnet but Rovers had a penalty, as if they had just missed it. Annoyingly it went in. Agreed, it was very poor coverage of the round.
KensalBee

hoppy wrote:There's only two senior games of football in the UK on Wednesday 21st November, Rovers v Bees and Hartlepool v Gillingham.
Neither match is being shown - Salford v Shrewsbury is now on the Wednesday due to BT showing it. Absolutely ridiculous, this media obsession/love-in with Salford!
LeicesterBee

KensalBee wrote:
hoppy wrote:There's only two senior games of football in the UK on Wednesday 21st November, Rovers v Bees and Hartlepool v Gillingham.
Neither match is being shown - Salford v Shrewsbury is now on the Wednesday due to BT showing it. Absolutely ridiculous, this media obsession/love-in with Salford!
Tbf the Salford game is by far the most attractive of the three