Hartlepool (a) The Songs of Praise Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Tuesds

Re: Hartlepool (a) The Songs of Praise Match Thread

ETBee wrote:Trying to be objective I thought that Hartlepool were far better organised and their players were more skiĺful. Their accuracy of passing was way above ours, especially at the start when we were all over the place. I was really disappointed at the poor quality of our play.
Take the point about the poor start, but beyond that, how you could watch that game and conclude they have more skilful players than us and passed the ball much more accurately than us beats me, it really does.
Mikel Bee

ETBee wrote:Trying to be objective I thought that Hartlepool were far better organised and their players were more skiĺful. Their accuracy of passing was way above ours, especially at the start when we were all over the place. I was really disappointed at the poor quality of our play. It was more like v Maidstone than v Bristol Rovers. But Duku's first goal was excellent (Great cross from Sweeney) and was against the run of play. The way he anticipated the kick off and took advantage for his second was just superb. That really took the wind out of Hartlepool's sails.

Our defence was terrific but we continued to look ragged elsewhere and them pressing forward gave us the chances. Harrison really should have scored. Our undying determination (and a bit of luck) won it for us in the end.

A great 3 points in the end. I look at the table and think that if we hadn't thrown away the Maidstone game we could feel confident of being in the play offs. Today was tough so I hope the team isn't knackered for Wednesday.

Finally I hope Duku's injury isn't as bad as if looked.
Hartlepool had lost their last 3 games so confidence must have been very fragile but apart from that small caveat, I thought we were well worth the win today. Only the second victory I've watched this season and certainly the best.

Sweeney was excellent throughout. He did have his mistake in him but chased down and won the ball back immediately.

If Duku hadn't gone off we'd have got our 3rd a lot sooner. Pleased to hear JS singing the praises of the youngsters coming through the system. He seems to rate Walker very highly. Exciting times ahead? Not sure where BT Sport got the idea that JS unearthed Fonguck however...

We need that defensive display again and more of the same clinical finishing if we want any hope at FA Cup round 2.
john dockers shorts

What a novelty to watch replays!

Not sure how much it was us being good or opposition being rubbish.

Great watching on the box though and seeing an exciting game with goals. I thought we did spread the play well and created some good chances.

Does concern me that the keeper just doesn't command his 6yard box.... Every time the ball is swung in you have to shut your eyes. No idea if the back up is any good but the keeper like every position should be competed for.

Nice confidence boost ahead of Brizzle... I think we have every chance of winning.
NoMagRyan

Besides the opening 10 minutes, I thought we played great. Shame about Duku though, thought that was the best performance by a Barnet striker in a looooong long time
Bee_Forever

Wow what a day. Starting with a 8:30am burger king, then a diversion in to Lincoln due to track closure on the mainline, then the cheapest wetherspoons on the planet and a mad dash back to the station to get the last train home. What away days are made for.

Re. the match, can't understand those who say we played poorly, we dominated as soon as we scored and should have won by more.

Sweeney was an absolute beast at the back and seeing him slalom out of defence was a joy. Manny Duku is such a superb player to watch, very smooth and fluid up front, a proper striker. Even Walker who I despaired of when he came on, provided admirable nuisance value up front haranguing their defence and taking his goal with great composure.

It is days like that that make you think we may just have a chance of the playoffs.

Still buzzing! Great gesture by the players to come over at the end. I think you would have needed sunglasses given the wattage of Darren Currie's smile!
dawat

In every game there is something that you can be critical of even if your team is Barcelona! I watched the game on TV and thought overall we played very well and for most of the match looked in control. Of course Hartlepool had their periods in the game, every opposing side does, but for once I thought we looked as if we had a solid defence, decent midfield and dangerous attack. What more can we really ask for at this level?
It's nice not to moan for change, as is my normal mode on this forum! Well done every player! I will even forgive Cousins for his mad moment as I'm sure it will not happen again this season, so just forget about it! A well done to all the management team as well, who we love to knock but do not praise enough when they get it right! Oh and well done TK, not for anything in particular, but why leave you out of the praise when you are always dragged into any criticism after any lost match. Of course well done to all those fans who made this awkward trip on a late Sunday afternoon instead of sitting in their living room with a nice cup of tea like myself watching the game on TV, you really genuinely have my admiration and deserved the players coming over to you at the end of the game!
becbee

On holiday at moment, disappointed to miss watching that "live" ( on TV), thankfully though I've got the match recorded so that's something I'll be looking forward to watching when I get back.
Second Dawat's comment re the 47 loyal travellers.
rudebwoyben

I thought that Walker did everything you'd want from a striker coming on to help defend a 2-1 lead. He closed down the Hartlepool defenders whenever they had the ball so that they had to clear the ball hurriedly instead of being able to build up co-ordinated attacks, he chased lost causes that became counter-attacks for us because of his efforts and he scored a fine goal.
I also liked Sweeney's and Reynold's interviews at the end. Both came across well with some personality and what they said was informative.
I also thought that we saw why Still bought Reynolds in the first place. He was key to our defence's success in locking down the 'Pool attack.
All in all, that was a very satisfying performance indeed!
hoofer2

I didn't see much of the game as was driving back from Wembley after watching England play.

I thought we looked solid, untroubled by Hartlepool and created chances going forward. I saw England miss a fair number of sitters, so cannot be critical of Harrison or
Walker for shots just shading the wrong side of the post. The important thing is they were in the right position to receive / run onto the ball, and am sure confidence will
flow with a couple of goals.

What I noticed compared to England is that build up play in National League is laboured and ball can be given away very cheaply due to lack of control.
If we can improve on this our steady progress up the league will continue.

The Bees defence is starting to look very solid now, though agree that Cousins could be a little more dominant in his area. For me, we need to have some continuity
up front. Such a shame the Duku got injured, but hopefully Bettamer, Walker and Harrison can forge a strong front 3 understanding. There are clearly some issues with Tarpey,
and Coultrist behind the scenes whether due to fitness, not reaching expected level in training or otherwise. I think we'll start to pick up points if we can have a reliable core
from keeper to striker.

COYB !!
letchbee94

finchleyman wrote:Game over. Hartlepool have not beaten Bees for eighteen years!
Not at their place anyway.
letchbee94

Great away day, not the best start but we fully deserved the win, could have been more but the those efforts by Harrison and walker was not that far off the mark.
Cannot remember seeing to 2 barnet goals so close to each other?

Was good we put on a good display for the cameras and for our own fans who can't get to see us away (not having pop by the way), we seem to play so much better away from the Hive.
Roy57

Totally agree with the post by davat. as he said every team have faults. And if
Cousins controlled his area along with being a very good shot stopper he would be
playing at a much higher level. total respect to all who travelled up. not only being a
Sunday but time of kick off. making it a whole day travelling. Thought we controlled the
game after we scored our first. from defence through to front players. would bet
quite a few teams would wish they had vast majorty of our players. especially
Chesterfield.
LoudmouthBFC

Hartlepool United F.C. 1 v Barnet F.C. 3 | Sunday Funday | Gameday Vlog (18/11/18)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0RybUVgtU
BEEGONE

Cracking result, great finishing.

Well played the fans who went, could have all sat at home and saved some cash.

Hartlepool look like they are in some trouble.
ccollis_869

BEEGONE wrote:Cracking result, great finishing.

Well played the fans who went, could have all sat at home and saved some cash.

Hartlepool look like they are in some trouble.
Like many I wish I there but very easy to say in hindsight given the result