Sheffield United Information

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
rich2644

Sheffield United Information

Hi there! I thought I'd have a quick look at your forum to see your reaction from the cup draw. Underwhelmed is the reaction from most of you and to be honest, perhaps rightly so as it's not the biggest payday for you.

Wait a minute though! Bramall Lane is the oldest professional football stadium in the world. It's a great, great day out for away supporters with the stadium only a 10 minute walk from the city center. You'll also get as many tickets as you want too.

For those getting the train, leave the station turn right and the Sheffield Tap is actually based in the station itself. Forgot about and abandoned for decades, it's been renovated as to it's original surroundings and has won awards for the renovation as well as some great real ales.
Tap_6.jpg
Tap_6.jpg (39.81 KiB) Viewed 7724 times
walk 2 minutes from Sheffield station to the Howard hotel, Sheffield's biggest away friendly pub.
the-howard-sheffield.jpg
the-howard-sheffield.jpg (36.85 KiB) Viewed 7724 times
then a 1 minute walk to the next, the Globe
22703.jpg
22703.jpg (298.52 KiB) Viewed 7724 times
From there I'd say Bramall Lane is a 10 to 15 minute walk with plenty more boozers along the way.

Here's a Sunderland supporters view on visiting Sheffield United last season. He ranked us the best away day in the Championship.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2017/6 ... ydays-10-1

For those teams who we play often we're quite a popular away day. Always the one they look forward to the most. Sheffield is a great city. Have a great time and I wish you all the best. I might even pop in to the Howard and have a pint with you all!
DR-MnmbX4AAMbro.jpg
Last edited by rich2644 on 03 Dec 2018, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
BeesKnees99

Re: Sheffield United Information

Thank you for this!
MCB

It's not you, it's us...

You see, it's been a crap couple of years with relegation and all. Fans unrest. General unhappiness. Dull football. The feeling that a big game might help unite a few wounds. A first big cup game at our new stadium...

Colchester, Swindon, Bristol Rovers, Gillingham and now Sheffield Utd. Our last 5 round 3 and 4 FA Cup draws. Not one Premiership team. Not even a shite one like a Cardiff. We felt we might finally draw a Spurs or Arsenal.

And you've got rid of Ricky Holmes!

We did take 6000 to Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford on a Tuesday, just hope we can find the enthusiasm to turn up to yours with a decent voice. Sheffields a great city for sure.
barnetjohn

Thanks for coming here and posting the info.

I guess for most fans Sheff United is a reasonable draw- obviously everyone dreams of getting Liverpool or Man United etc, but realistically a championship side, and a stadium we've never played in is also a good-ish draw. Far better than getting Luton, or some other league one side whose ground we've played at recently in the league.

I've no idea what sort of gate to expect for the game- I can imagine from your side Barnet is not the most exciting draw either, though you were too polite to say this! How many do you expect will come?
rudebwoyben

MCB wrote:It's not you, it's us...

You see, it's been a crap couple of years with relegation and all. Fans unrest. General unhappiness. Dull football. The feeling that a big game might help unite a few wounds. A first big cup game at our new stadium...

Colchester, Swindon, Bristol Rovers, Gillingham and now Sheffield Utd. Our last 5 round 3 and 4 FA Cup draws. Not one Premiership team. Not even a shite one like a Cardiff. We felt we might finally draw a Spurs or Arsenal.

We did take 6000 to Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford on a Tuesday, just hope we can find the enthusiasm to turn up to yours with a decent voice. Sheffields a great city for sure.
We’ve never played Gillingham in Round 3 of the FA Cup! I remember us beating them in the first round in 07/08.
Sheffield is a great city for sure.
Edd1

rudebwoyben wrote:

We’ve never played Gillingham in Round 3 of the FA Cup! I remember us beating them in the first round in 07/08.
It was Plymouth in the 4th round in 2007.

However didn't we have a second round replay one year with Gillingham awaiting the winners, and we promptly lost the replay?

Back to the OP, thanks for the info. I'll certainly be there. I've also got a couple of Wednesday supporting friends in the area who are planning on tagging along (sorry) so that's a couple more to add to the crowd.
MCB

rudebwoyben wrote:

You know what I meant - swap Gillingham for another non-descript L1 team in Plymouth (yes I know were having a rare foray into the Championship under Holloway then).
Psycho

Thanks ever so much for logging in and being a huge help, Rich.

As I put on the other thread, I'm a huge snooker fan and the Crucible is the pinnacle of the sport. Is Jimmy White the most popular Londoner in Sheffield!? We're a great club who have had a rough time of it for a while but once a Bee, always a Bee! I hope the tie remains on the Saturday at 3pm. Wendy v Loot'n can play on the Sunday!

All the best in your attempt at making the Premier League. Sheffield needs a top flight club.
talldarkslim

Their average league attendance is around 25,000 so maybe half that will turn up for the cup. We are likely to take 500/600?
talldarkslim

Their average league attendance is around 25,000 so maybe half that will turn up for the cup. We are likely to take 500/600?
Masuka

Great post thanks for the info!

We're just cursed with disappointing draws in the FA Cup. From a Blades point of view it's an easy bye into round 4 but for us it's a long way to go for a boring tie knowing we will lose, and then back to the misery of mid table conference football...

Finally being blessed with a Prem team would have been special, guaranteed to lose but the occasion would be a great buzz.

Oh well... always next year I guess. :lazy:
Once a Bee ALWAYS a Bee
ETBee

As Sheffield is the home to The Full Monty can we expect Mazuka to finally do the streak!?
b4life

We'll probably take about 1500 I would expect.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
StephenM

Is Jimmy Muir still playing for Sheffield Utd?
barnetpete

Thanks Rich2644. Have to say I am really looking forward to this. Outside of a Prem club, an ex top tier club as big as SU is a decent draw.
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,