2018 in review...

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
jerroll

Re: 2018 in review...

Tuesds wrote:Love the OP – Happy New Year!

Yes, 2018 was disastrous, but yes, there is also reason for optimism.

Certainly one reason not to be despondent at least is that our first half of the season so far, disappointing and often frustrating as it has been, compares very well to the other three of the last four teams to go down from League 2!

The fact is it’s always going to be difficult when you suffer the shock of falling out of the football league; you have a high turnover of players and always lose any stars, those remaining suffer pay cuts, there’s an air of despondency around the club etc. (In our case it was arguably even tougher in the form of the most ludicrously extensive injury crisis I’ve ever known)

That’s got a lot to do with why Hartlepool and Orient last season, and Chesterfield this, all struggled so badly in their first half-season in the Conference. It’s also why, for all the stick that Still has received, I thought that with players returning and the storm of the early months withstood, he would turn it round and at least get us up in the top 10 or so by the end of the season, before having a real crack at promotion next season.

Another reason to be cheerful, at least, is the FA Cup run. Amidst all the misery about in the last few weeks, there’s a sense that things were much better in the good old days. For me, one of those good old days from before my time has always been the FA Cup run to the 3rd round in 1983 (?) when we earned the right to play Bristol Rovers, to whom we lost 3-1 (?). Well, this season not only have we made the Third Round again, but we’ve already gone one better and beaten Bristol Rovers!

All the more reason to enjoy the fruits of that triumph (and the subsequent one over Stockport) in the form of our Big Day Out in Sheffield at the weekend.
Bristol Rovers was rd 1 in 83/4

http://www.onlybarnet.com/bfcsa/about/fa_cup_5.htm