Charlee Adams

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
jerroll

Re: Charlee Adams

Hiveoccupier wrote:
becbee wrote:Jerroll, I presume you don't know the answer to my question about whether unserved suspensions rollover to the following season?
If you don't know, but they do in fact roll over, then what hope is there for the smaller clubs who could find themselves being thrown out of the FA Cup for playing an ineligible player?
In the FA Cup and Carabao Cup:

Two yellow cards = one match ban
Cards will be wiped at the quarter-finals
No player can miss the final through yellow cards

There haven't been any changes to the situation with Red Cards (i.e. a red card picked up in a FA Cup match impacts on eligibility for League and Carabao cup matches and vice verse.
Thanks Derek.
PBBee

MCB wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:
There haven't been any changes to the situation with Red Cards (i.e. a red card picked up in a FA Cup match impacts on eligibility for League and Carabao cup matches and vice verse.
So if Charlee had received a second yellow in the game against Sheffield United, he simply would have missed the FA Trophy game and be able to play against Brentford?
That is ridiculous if so.
DerekRocholl

MCB wrote:
Hiveoccupier wrote:
So if Charlee had received a second yellow in the game against Sheffield United, he simply would have missed the FA Trophy game and be able to play against Brentford?
I guess you are right but then we would have been down to 10 men against Sheffield Utd and more likely to exit the FA cup. This being the case it was unlikely that taking a tactical yellow card would have been considered.
shankbee01

Another terrible decision by the FA regarding the FA Cup. Rules should apply to everyone, surely if bans are competition specific (something I agree with to prevent players deliberately getting booked to miss a ‘meaningless’ game) an amnesty on cards should be offered every time a new set of clubs enter i.e. first round proper/3rd round. Just like VAR only being able to be used in certain games it makes a mockery of the competition. How can it be one set of rules for one fixture and one for another? Total madness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ninestein

Don't panic. He'll be available for round 5
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
talldarkslim

He may get away with it yet. I just checked the 14 day weather and snow is forecast that day. You cannot rely on it that far forward but wouldn't that be typical?
MCB

talldarkslim wrote:He may get away with it yet. I just checked the 14 day weather and snow is forecast that day. You cannot rely on it that far forward but wouldn't that be typical?
Erm, he's banned for our next FA Cup match, so how would snow help?
lemming3k

To be fair, two yellows only seems excessive because we've had to play so many games to get this far.

Maybe there should have been at least 1 amnesty so far when other teams joined such as the 1st round proper. On the other hand though amnesties sound great, imagine if a team went a goal up and proceeded to pick up yellow cards all game for excessive time wasting, bringing players down on the break, or just far enough from goal to get only a yellow when they were beaten - All knowing they'd be wiped after the match.
What about diving (which still isn't retroactively acted on enough)? Well worth risking a yellow in the face of an amnesty.

Would anybody feel that's entertaining to watch? I think it's frustrating enough in a league game.

Is it fair that a player can get away with the same offences as another without receiving the same punishment?
Would anyone be happy if their best players had been suspended in some rounds, only to come up against others allowed to play because of an Amnesty? Particularly in the final?
If the cards are wiped before the quarter finals then conceivably you could get 4 yellows and not be suspended if you time them right (otherwise 3 without suspension if it's after the quarters)!

I know there's some big names at the top we want to see in every match, and we all remember the tears of Gazza, but sportsmanship should be important and it's a team game needing good squad depth throughout the tournament.
If your star man picks up yellows like John Terry picks up spouses then he should miss the required games.

Don't get me wrong I'm gutted for Charlee as he's not an unsporting player at all, but it's probably fair(ish).
Hope we get someone bigger next round he can enjoy a day against, but then unfortunately someone else may miss out instead.
talldarkslim

Ah FA Cup matches only so stand corrected
Tuesds

lemming3k wrote:To be fair, two yellows only seems excessive because we've had to play so many games to get this far.

Maybe there should have been at least 1 amnesty so far when other teams joined such as the 1st round proper. On the other hand though amnesties sound great, imagine if a team went a goal up and proceeded to pick up yellow cards all game for excessive time wasting, bringing players down on the break, or just far enough from goal to get only a yellow when they were beaten - All knowing they'd be wiped after the match.
What about diving (which still isn't retroactively acted on enough)? Well worth risking a yellow in the face of an amnesty.

Would anybody feel that's entertaining to watch? I think it's frustrating enough in a league game.

Is it fair that a player can get away with the same offences as another without receiving the same punishment?
Would anyone be happy if their best players had been suspended in some rounds, only to come up against others allowed to play because of an Amnesty? Particularly in the final?
If the cards are wiped before the quarter finals then conceivably you could get 4 yellows and not be suspended if you time them right (otherwise 3 without suspension if it's after the quarters)!

I know there's some big names at the top we want to see in every match, and we all remember the tears of Gazza, but sportsmanship should be important and it's a team game needing good squad depth throughout the tournament.
If your star man picks up yellows like John Terry picks up spouses then he should miss the required games.

Don't get me wrong I'm gutted for Charlee as he's not an unsporting player at all, but it's probably fair(ish).
Hope we get someone bigger next round he can enjoy a day against, but then unfortunately someone else may miss out instead.
Fairish!? We are missing a key player for a huge game via a sanction that doesn’t apply to our opponents. They have played one match, so they literally couldn’t have a player suspended for two yellows if they’d tried!

The FA have come up with a solution to a problem that didn’t exist; I don’t recall there being any notable opposition from either clubs or fans when the yellow card tally and subsequent suspensions applied equally across the FA Cup and the league. They are both first team competitions.

Forget amnesties etc., just go back to the old system. That would deal with all the points you make about sportsmanship. No one is suggesting players should be allowed to pick up yellow cards with impunity.
DerekRocholl

To be fair to the FA it is pretty clear that part of the reason clubs have put out weakened teams in the cup competitions was because they didn’t want to pick up cards that could impact on their availability for league matches.

They have to try to do something to keep these competitions worthwhile and it is to everyone’s benefit if they retain at least some credibility.
lemming3k

Tuesds wrote:
lemming3k wrote:To be fair, two yellows only seems excessive because we've had to play so many games to get this far.

Fairish!? We are missing a key player for a huge game via a sanction that doesn’t apply to our opponents. They have played one match, so they literally couldn’t have a player suspended for two yellows if they’d tried!

The FA have come up with a solution to a problem that didn’t exist; I don’t recall there being any notable opposition from either clubs or fans when the yellow card tally and subsequent suspensions applied equally across the FA Cup and the league. They are both first team competitions.

Forget amnesties etc., just go back to the old system. That would deal with all the points you make about sportsmanship. No one is suggesting players should be allowed to pick up yellow cards with impunity.
Had we been drawn against a team lower down the pyramid it would be a level playing field and not 'unfair'. But it can never be level as our opponents benefit from entering the competition at a later stage as a privilege afforded to higher league teams - and we're going to benefit from drawing such a team.

Some (including the FA) want and use an amnesty to help avoid such 'unfairness', but at any stage, it creates an alternative unfairness by affording the possibility of picking up cards without sanction.

I do agree the old system was better and would be my preference. Cards in any domestic competitive match carry over; although bear in mind higher teams still would have played less games than us by this stage. That is probably as fair as it can get though - short of having every league team enter at round 1 and having an amnesty at that point - but the competitions are meaningless to higher teams already, there's no money in it for them - that's why teams like Burton make the league cup Semi-Final.

Charlee got two yellows and that's a ban. Someone else will step up and he'll be back for the next round, no need for concern.