Relegation Battle?

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
pgbee

Re: Relegation Battle?

#Beebot wrote:The bottom 4 thankfully look very poor. We should be fine, but if Currie cannot keep our PPG above 1 we should ask questions.
I suspect in the three matches we have against them they'll show more guts than we do to get something out of it. Maybe unsuccessfully but who knows.. the fact we're contemplating this as a sh1tshow is embarrassing, as I suspect it is for the others...
dawat

There is something that has puzzled me for the last few seasons and still puzzles me today, so maybe those of you with wiser heads than my own can provide an explanation that makes sense to me.
Barnet have signed many players from clubs where they were deemed their star players or their players of the year. I will not name particular players but they have been everything from defenders, wingers, mid-field maestros to outright strikers. John Akinde being the most notable success. Yet most of these signings have failed to impress and some have seemed so ordinary as to make you wonder why on earth they were even signed!
So what puzzle me, is how these players were so good at their former club, yet turned into such mediocrity once we got our hands on them? I really cannot believe that so many of them were really that poor at their former club yet were so highly thought of, so what if anything does our club do that wrecks such promising players?
pgbee

dawat wrote:There is something that has puzzled me for the last few seasons and still puzzles me today, so maybe those of you with wiser heads than my own can provide an explanation that makes sense to me.
Barnet have signed many players from clubs where they were deemed their star players or their players of the year. I will not name particular players but they have been everything from defenders, wingers, mid-field maestros to outright strikers. John Akinde being the most notable success. Yet most of these signings have failed to impress and some have seemed so ordinary as to make you wonder why on earth they were even signed!
So what puzzle me, is how these players were so good at their former club, yet turned into such mediocrity once we got our hands on them? I really cannot believe that so many of them were really that poor at their former club yet were so highly thought of, so what if anything does our club do that wrecks such promising players?
Having to pay for all their water, medical needs etc is pretty demotivating for starters. Add in managers who want you to play a different way and then are replaced by a new manager who changes it again. Very quickly players lose track of what they are supposed to be doing. Also the knowledge that if you get injured you are likely out for a long time despite our excellent facilities.
#Beebot

pgbee wrote:
dawat wrote:There is something that has puzzled me for the last few seasons and still puzzles me today, so maybe those of you with wiser heads than my own can provide an explanation that makes sense to me.
Having to pay for all their water, medical needs etc is pretty demotivating for starters.
I've never understood why TK does this. If we ran a smaller squad and stopped handing out 2 year deals we could afford to pay for basics like that. And we should do regardless.
pokal02

The last poster has it spot on. No more 2 year deals. If it's clear after 2-3 months that a one year deal is working well for both club and player, that is the point to extend. Not at the outset given our appalling recent recruitment record. If that means we lose one or two potential signings with greedy agents, I'd pay that price.
To bee or not to bee

I reckon the last relegation spot is between us Havant and Dover. I can easily see the scenario now where we’re 3 points ahead of Havant before the last game with about the same goal difference, losing 2 nil praying for Sutton, losing 1 nil and with nothing to play for to do the right thing for good old Barnet and equalise. Dover scored and then I woke up ....
Norfolk & Chance

pokal02 wrote:The last poster has it spot on. No more 2 year deals. If it's clear after 2-3 months that a one year deal is working well for both club and player, that is the point to extend. Not at the outset given our appalling recent recruitment record. If that means we lose one or two potential signings with greedy agents, I'd pay that price.
It might not be down to greedy agents.
Surely the offer of just one year's secure employment and income might not be enough to entice any but the least able players.
I'm ok with 2 year contracts, so long as the scouting staff actually pick gooduns.
MCB

We're talking about '2 or 3 year contracts' being handed out willy nilly.

The reality is more likely, as per the club over the last decade the majority are 1 year contracts with 1 year extensions that are weighted in the clubs favour. I suspect that we will see a vast majority of players we think are on 2 year contracts leave in the summer.

Only Shaun Batt from memory had one that was clearly in his favour!
#Beebot

MCB wrote:We're talking about '2 or 3 year contracts' being handed out willy nilly.

The reality is more likely, as per the club over the last decade the majority are 1 year contracts with 1 year extensions that are weighted in the clubs favour. I suspect that we will see a vast majority of players we think are on 2 year contracts leave in the summer.

There were far more: Gavin Hoyte, Ben Tomlinson, Ryan Watson, we also had Champion and Nicholls on 2 year deals when we wanted rid in their first summer.
#Beebot

MCB wrote:We're talking about '2 or 3 year contracts' being handed out willy nilly.

There were far more: Gavin Hoyte, Ben Tomlinson, Ryan Watson, we also had Champion and Nicholls on 2 year deals when we wanted rid in their first summer.
MCB

#Beebot wrote: Only Shaun Batt from memory had one that was clearly in his favour!
There were far more: Gavin Hoyte, Ben Tomlinson, Ryan Watson, we also had Champion and Nicholls on 2 year deals when we wanted rid in their first summer.[/quote]

Interestingly *EVERY* single one of those players are playing at a club higher than us...

It's odd, we could probably do with Ben Tomlinson at this moment in time. And possibly Champion & Hoyte.

But yes, fair enough, most of them i'd tried to cast from my memory. Shaun Batt was fairly unforgettable.
pokal02

I've been thinking all season that there's about a 5% chance of us going down but it's more that that now, although I'd still rather be us than H&W or even Dover.

I'm looking at a run of 6 games (39-44) with 4 away and the two homes being Orient & Wrexham. We then have Bromley (H) 2nd from the end but I beliEve H&W play (already relegated?) Aldershot on that day?

So I 'd say if we cannot win 2 of the next 4 before Orient (effectively 3 writing off Salford) we're probably in deep trouble if H&W continue to improve. (A lot depends on them now - the survival point could be anything between 42 and 53 points depending on how they do).
jerroll

shots may be guaranteed bottom 4 but still able to finish 4th bottom which as we know puts them in pole position if there are any reprieves knocking about!
john dockers shorts

Ryan Watson would of looked like Glenn Hoddle in this team!
hoofer2

Our defence is by no means the worst in the division, but our lack of goals remains the big issue here. Under John Still we created enough goals to have drawn or won more games, but if your strikers are struggling for goals, then you will always struggle. I really hope that Tarpey hits some form and starts to score some goals, as it's been pretty desperate for alot of the season.