Hartlepool (PTA) The Back Shaq, Don't Crack Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
dpa

Re: Hartlepool (PTA) The Back Shaq, Don't Crack Match Thread

barnet_pls wrote:I think there is enough to see the difference Currie is making, and so we should hold our nerve, see what he can do with his own squad next season. With Bouchard and Tarpey fit, we are finally seeing some quality, organisation, patterns of play. All that's missing are goals. I don't think this is a mark Robson situation...
Agree with this.

I truly hope that the rumours about DC are incorrect. I like the way we play now under his direction but 1) we need to move the ball forward quicker (still too many sideways and backward passes in the 1st half), 2) our movement off the ball was awful (apart from Tarps) and 3) we clearly need better finishers/ more confidence in front of goal. Shaq had an off game and after his open goal miss seemed to lose the plot a bit and became selfish. But not just shaq, I lots count how many times we could have got a shot away and decided to pass.

Sweeney, Bouchard & Tarpey look a class above. All over the pitch and made some great movement. Tarps unlucky not to score.

In all I counted 3 really good chances to score - Shaq's header in the first half when he should have done better, Tarpey's header and then Shaq's miss - there were a few half chances too. Should we have got a penalty? looked like it to me although I am a bit biased!! :D

Harry Taylor had an average game (sideways and backwards plc) and Wes was a bit lost in the 1st half BUT brilliant in the 2nd half. Not sure why Mason Clarke was taken off as he was always a threat to their defence - yes, he isn't the finished article, but a player able and willing to run at a defence in this league is valuable.

Please can we get rid of Reynolds. Too many balloons for him me thinks. He was terrible yesterday and in my view not even a conference standard player. Now that JS has gone I dont know why he is still in the side. 70% fit Santos is better than him.
pgbee

We keep saying "win on Tuesday (or Saturday) and the pressure is off" except we don't or on the rare times when we do win, all our rivals win as well...
Norfolk & Chance

We're not going down but it'll be by default rather than us winning a load of games.
I can't see havant catching up now.
The final games are likely to be pretty thin gruel though with occasional draws and maybe a win in front of ever decreasing crowds.
As someone said, cannot wait til the season is over and hope that next season is better.
let_it_bee

Reluctantly had to miss yesterday due to a family commitment, but it sounds a similar story to Tuesday. That performance was, I thought, quite an improvement on the previous game I'd seen (Chesterfield), and to some extent we're just not getting the rub of the green at the moment (Sweeney's open goal on Tuesday, Shaq yesterday). I'm struggling to see what more could be expected of Darren in the circumstances, short of a major clear-out and replacement of players.

The heart was ripped out of the midfield when Adams and Taylor both got injured. Boucard has been slow to make an impact due to his long lay-off, though is now starting to look the part. The slight concern I have is, at his age, not sure he has the athleticism left in him to really impose himself on the game.

We've got 2 strikers who are, on paper, as good as any in the division, but can they play together as an effective pairing? Not sure. Maybe they are too similar in style. What we clearly lack is a physical presence up front, which virtually every other side in the division seems to rely on. Harrison obviously doesn't fit the bill. Why Bettamer hasn't been given an opportunity is the one thing that really mystifies me about Darren's selections - otherwise, I don't tend to have much argument with them.

At the back of course we suffer from a tendency to take too many risks by dwelling on the ball, which you don't really see from other teams in this division. That's the price you pay for having defenders who fancy themselves as playmakers, but perhaps aren't quite up to it technically. They have to learn. I'd ditch Reynolds and revert to the Sweeney/Robson pairing, who seemed to gel fairly well together earlier in the season.

So obviously there are some options for tinkering in selection and tactics, but overall his scope is limited. I hope the chairman holds his nerve for now because I think DC is doing most things right and clearly has a genuine passion for the club.
becbee

This constant Saturday- Tuesday run of mediocre matches is so wearing. Thank Goodness we did get knocked out of the FAT, when would we have ever fitted in those 2 Saturday NL matches?
I will be there on Tuesday but I'm not sure that I can face a trip to Salford. I just want us to somehow get a couple of wins, get this season over and enjoy the close season.
Norfolk & Chance

becbee wrote:This constant Saturday- Tuesday run of mediocre matches is so wearing. Thank Goodness we did get knocked out of the FAT, when would we have ever fitted in those 2 Saturday NL matches?
I will be there on Tuesday but I'm not sure that I can face a trip to Salford. I just want us to somehow get a couple of wins, get this season over and enjoy the close season.
Had we reached Wembley the drudge of Tues and sat and possibly Thurs would soon have been forgotten.
I can't ever imagine saying ' thank god we were knocked out of the trophy'.
jonbonbaby

Yes let’s change manager because that’s worked so well for us over the past 20 years ........

Stability is needed not emotional knee jerk reactions , let him get rid of still’s pathetic signings and bring in players to play his brand of football then judge him
JWTBee

john dockers shorts wrote:We played some really nice football just didn't have any luck today. Having said that Currie left his subs way too late. Shaq didn't do anything and should of been replaced at half time. Although EMC is very direct and enthusiastic there is seldom end product. He needs to be on the bench next match and start with Akinola.

Reynolds where do you start. He has to be dropped and Robson play.
He wins nothing in the air, awful distribution and as for being captain who would be driven and inspired by him.... Useless.

Mention to Bourcard who really kept passing and probing and Tarpey who was all across the pitch linking play.

Not a bad performance but not the result we need.
Excellent summary! I totally agree will all your points.I just hope that we can get Santos back asap to replace Reynolds!
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!
Rupes

Sack the manager? Yeah right, that'll solve everything. Get to the end of the season, stay up (which I have no doubt we will), give DC the chance to mould that squad as he sees fit. I suspect this getting Barnet back to the FL is a 2 / 3 year project, which isn't going to be helped by continually changing managers. Stability is key at any club, I genuinely don't understand why there are continued knee jerk reactions by various parties.
Norfolk & Chance

2 to 3 years?
I admire your positivity.
#Beebot

No point changing manager now. Currie's hands are mostly tied.

Only worth looking at someone else if Havant close the gap.
#Beebot

let_it_bee wrote:What we clearly lack is a physical presence up front, which virtually every other side in the division seems to rely on. Harrison obviously doesn't fit the bill. Why Bettamer hasn't been given an opportunity is the one thing that really mystifies me about Darren's selections - otherwise, I don't tend to have much argument with them.
The Bettamer situation is bizarre. Last time I saw him he looked lazy and overweight, which probably explains why he isn't playing, but why is this only an issue now that he's turned pro? Never had this issue when he was semi-pro at Staines and Braintree.
barnet34

No doubt we will eventually get the truth on bettamer.
Last edited by barnet34 on 17 Mar 2019, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
finchleyman

Just woken up from the borefest that was yesterday's game. Removing DC is not the answer although I felt he could have made some earlier changes to the squad.

The highlight of the game for me was the improvement in Boucard. He is now a player a cut above most of the others. Harry Taylor played quote well too. But Reynolds was just dreadful. He should be stripped of his captaincy and this should be given to Boucard who was shouting at the team and driving the players the best he could. And I always get the jitters when Alexander ahs the ball. Mr Sweeney mopped up things most of the time in his inimitable fashion.

Shaq had a poor game but, although I know he scores goals, he gets about one in ten or fifteen shots and this is just not good enough. He missed some sitters yesterday. Tarpey ran around a lot but didn't seem to be in the right place at the right time. We really do need some presence upfront.

Neither team looked good yesterday. WE should have won but we have been saying that all season. Winning comes with confidence and this is something we are definitely lacking at the moment. DC's interviews do not exactly generate confidence and I feel like slitting my throat every time he talks.
barnet34

The lack of goals is not of DC's making, this has been our problem all season. you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it. let's first get over the line and give him the chance.