Leyton Orient (Hive) The Chicken Oriental Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BeesKnees

Re: Leyton Orient (Hive) The Chicken Oriental Match Thread

Mr Smart wrote:Why can’t he just carry the ball out from CB?!
That both Sweeney and Santos are capable of running out from defence and frightening the life out of the opposition is probably my favourite part of how we currently play.
jerroll

Jon83 wrote:
He did that in his cameo on Sat. Lovely low curling cross for Shaq - who was offside - and a nice ball over the top, also to Shaq, that was just out of reach.

Santos is a league 2 centre back. At least. He'll be off in the summer.
I would expect we would have an option on his contract, don't forget he cost £100k so I would be surprised if he only had a contract for 1 1/2 years plus a years option. Unless someone is prepared to repay at least 50% of the fee we paid for him.
MCB

jerroll wrote:
Jon83 wrote:
He did that in his cameo on Sat. Lovely low curling cross for Shaq - who was offside - and a nice ball over the top, also to Shaq, that was just out of reach.

I would expect we would have an option on his contract, don't forget he cost £100k so I would be surprised if he only had a contract for 1 1/2 years plus a years option. Unless someone is prepared to repay at least 50% of the fee we paid for him.
I was unaware that Sweeney had been offered a contract earlier this year as you mentioned (and seemingly turned down as it wasn't commented on) so sadly i'd assume he'll be off this summer after 2 consecutive POTY awards.

Which makes it doubly important we have a big important imposing centre back, and Santos is that player. He hasn't played for a season, so there will be no massive queues for people to pay out for him, and like Jerroll says I assume he'd be under contract. Also his CV for Barnet basically shows him as largely every present when we were relegated from L2.

He signed 31 Dec 2016 - so 2 1/2 years takes him up to this summer. Having shelled out £100k for him, and knowing this club, we'll either have an option (in our favour) or had a 2 year option on him we've already taken out (a la Elliot).

Only doubt would be is if we can justify his wages within a wage cap. He'll be on a fair whack. As TK has said before, it's not the transfer fees themselves that are the issues, but those players think they should be paid over and above their true worth. He was signed from Posh, for 100k, when we were trying to make a push for promotion, so who knows if we can actually afford him?

But we need him.
MCB

Orient highlights - clearly showing it was offered, their player dived, and Brill saved from Elito so it was a corner, also showing actually what a great save it was from Wes's 1 on 1.

BUT - Orient appear to have extra cameras at the Hive. Best highlights in terms of quality i've seen at The Hive. Could we not have this every game?

www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=343&v=o1sw9OY80FM
WinchyBee

Great performance and a fantastic game for any neutral on Saturday.
Nice to have Santos back too, spoilt for options at CB now...
jerroll

WinchyBee wrote:Great performance and a fantastic game for any neutral on Saturday.
Nice to have Santos back too, spoilt for options at CB now...
Indeed , shame its with 7 games to go rather than 7 games played!
rudebwoyben

MCB wrote:Orient highlights - clearly showing it was offered, their player dived, and Brill saved from Elito so it was a corner, also showing actually what a great save it was from Wes's 1 on 1.

BUT - Orient appear to have extra cameras at the Hive. Best highlights in terms of quality i've seen at The Hive. Could we not have this every game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... 1sw9OY80FM
They did, there was a cameraman at pitchside level towards the North Stand in the West Stand.
rudebwoyben

MCB wrote:Orient highlights - clearly showing it was offered, their player dived, and Brill saved from Elito so it was a corner, also showing actually what a great save it was from Wes's 1 on 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... 1sw9OY80FM
They did, there was a cameraman at pitchside level towards the North Stand in the West Stand.
Norfolkbee

The "goal" at the end definitely looked offside. The guy probably should've left the ball as it may have crept in anyway. Still I'm not complaining.
Mem Beespod

BeesKnees wrote:
That both Sweeney and Santos are capable of running out from defence and frightening the life out of the opposition is probably my favourite part of how we currently play.
It’s a part of the modern game I really like. A centre back driving through the midfield causes all sorts of confusion as nobody knows who picks him up. Much prefer that to a CB aimlessly lumping the ball forward onto the head of the opposition’s CB
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
LeftSideRun

Jon83 wrote:

He owes us a season.
Norfolkbee

LeftSideRun wrote:
Jon83 wrote:

He owes us a season.
True, but we are talking about football and most players do exactly what their agents tell them to do.
LeftSideRun

Sad but true.

If he did that, I'd boo him whenever he returned to the Hive (as long as I was a safe distance away and hard to identify).
djhdjh

Norfolkbee wrote:
LeftSideRun wrote:
Jon83 wrote:

He owes us a season.
True, but we are talking about football and most players do exactly what their agents tell them to do.
Or they do exactly what is best for themselves in what, in the lower leagues, is a very insecure career where clubs (and us fans) will happily kick them to the kerb if they don't perform as expected. Easier to blame the king's evil advisors though.

I agree with those who have said that Santos won't have a huge market after seasons of relegation then injury. Get a Nelson style old pro alongside him to guide him and he'll be totally dominant at this level.