£ylde (Away) The Good Fylde Day Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Norfolkbee

Re: £ylde (Away) The Good Fylde Day Match Thread

I'm more of a glass half full person. I think this past half season has been a learning curve for DC and he now knows precisely what he needs to do to progress. Yes there are several unknown factors, so how do we know that he is incapable of bringing in the type of players required? I'm sure he has got his spies out - assuming that he is staying of course.
amberforever

Jon83 wrote:
finchleyman wrote:I didn't go to Fylde. Too far. Went to see Boreham Wood play Salford City. City won it 3-2 but shouldn't have. A draw would have been a fair result. David Stephens got injured. Tom Champion had a superb game.The football was not too bad today but if Salford are top oft he league or thereabouts then they have got there by false pretences because they were nothing special.

But the reason for writing this however is that, in the Boreham Wood programme today, the owner wrote a four page monologue about how he loves the Club and about how they are hitting above their weight, backing Luke thjngy (the manager) to the hilt, building a new North stand and generally encouraging the supporters and being totally positive about the future. BWFC have the Academy, the new 3G pitches and pitches, a fantastic burger bar where the chips are excellent, a friendly atmosphere and a lots more besides. The money from all of this is ploughed back into the Club.

What do we have? A soul-less freezing cold ground, awful beer in the bar, shit food, an owner who seems more interested in his wedding bookings, players who don't seem that motivated and a general lack of direction. This stems from the top. TK pull your finger out.
Ridiculous post. Doesn't make much sense.
I’m not so sure. We had a pretty good sniff of the optimism that BW have when MA brought in. But that enthusiasm and love of the game seems lacking from TK.
amberforever

Jon83 wrote:
finchleyman wrote:I didn't go to Fylde. Too far. Went to see Boreham Wood play Salford City. City won it 3-2 but shouldn't have. A draw would have been a fair result. David Stephens got injured. Tom Champion had a superb game.The football was not too bad today but if Salford are top oft he league or thereabouts then they have got there by false pretences because they were nothing special.

But the reason for writing this however is that, in the Boreham Wood programme today, the owner wrote a four page monologue about how he loves the Club and about how they are hitting above their weight, backing Luke thjngy (the manager) to the hilt, building a new North stand and generally encouraging the supporters and being totally positive about the future. BWFC have the Academy, the new 3G pitches and pitches, a fantastic burger bar where the chips are excellent, a friendly atmosphere and a lots more besides. The money from all of this is ploughed back into the Club.

What do we have? A soul-less freezing cold ground, awful beer in the bar, shit food, an owner who seems more interested in his wedding bookings, players who don't seem that motivated and a general lack of direction. This stems from the top. TK pull your finger out.

I’m not so sure. We had a pretty good sniff of the optimism that BW have when MA has been here. But that enthusiasm and love of the game seems lacking from TK.
Norfolkbee

The Hive's facilities should be Barnet's biggest asset. Couple them with a reputation for playing good football on the pitch under the right manager/coach and top clubs from around should be queuing up to loan us their better youngsters in order to get them game time. This would be a win-win for all concerned. Of course, the other big stumbling block to overcome would be Barnet's apparent aversion to loans unless they are out of the club.
ninestein

In his post match interview, DC makes reference to Danny Rowe and states that that's thd sort of player we need to recruit in the summer. You get the feeling that the forward position is his priority.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
Mem Beespod

#Beebot wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:
#Beebot wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote: And who would you suggest? There really isn't a lot of choice out there. Decent managers will be looking higher than us. That leaves those starting out (may as well stick with DC) or those looking for a last hurrah (that worked well with JS, not). We need stability. Chopping and changing has been Barnet's problem probably since PF left, although MA had a season in charge and won us the title. Time to back DC, give him the job permanently, let him bring in his own players and put his own stamp on things.
Or we look at the NL South where I think pretty much any manager takes the job here. I'd go for Alan Dowson.

I'm in favour of Currie bringing his own players in but it looks like he may not be able to so I'd rather go for someone who can pick up bargains at this level like Dowson can.
That's simply changing for the sake of it. Who says DC cannot bring in his own players with the right budget? The only way I would remotely back a change at the moment would be in the unlikely scenario of TK really loosening the purse strings to attract a top candidate and back him with a playing budget to match. How likely is that?
Personally, I don't believe we will be promoted next season. It takes time to build a promotion winning team and that means continuity in management and players. After the disappointment of this season, I think a tilt at the play offs next year would be an acceptable achievement and something to build on for 2020/21. Anything above that would be a bonus gratefully received.
We should definitely stick with DC unless we are really struggling come Christmas/New Year. You can't ask anyone to build a team while they are perpetually having to look over their shoulder.
Furthermore, how do you expect to attract any manager worth his salt if the club keeps chopping and changing every few months. It just becomes a laughing stock and a place for managers to avoid at all costs.
We know that DC hasn't signed up for next year yet, but otherwise there are many unknowns. Who's holding up the renewal - TK or DC? We also don't know how many players are on two year deals. If most of Still's signings are then this really limits us going into next season, and we'd need a manager with more experience who can play a more functional style - not a has been like Still, but perhaps someone like Dowson, who can organise them and use his knowledge of non-league to make some shrewd signings on the low budget.

My worry is that Currie won't have the contacts and more organised teams will continue to do a number on us. If the budget is limited I can't see Currie doing much other than bring in youngsters from higher up on loan like Charles, which wouldn't be what we'd need.
Darren Currie played across all the divisions in his playing career and will have made friends at every club he’s been at. He has definitely got contacts around the country. Coupled with that, his agent will probably know a few people. I don’t think we have to worry about contacts.
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938
Psycho

pgbee wrote:FGR just avoided relegation last year from L2 and are currently in the playoff spots so it can be done, whether we can do it next season with the current setup is open to debate...
I don't know if it's still legal but Leyton Orient offered settlements to their terrible players who were on contracts years ago and the new chairman improved the team the following season. The likes of Sparkes, Elito, Bettamer, Harrison, Adams etc can get some money and then join someone like Bishop's Stortford. It's the only chance we have of being 'in the promotion mix' next season. Use the FA Cup money to bin the woeful players off. It would be a shame to waste it like that but we need to get the squad down to 20 and use the loan market when needed.

Would Danny Rowe get homesick for the north? As Loudmouth mentioned, I agree with him that Paul McCallum would be a great signing.
letchbee94

Should have been 1-0 up after 5 minutes J Taylor had a shot that looked like it was going in but Reynolds accidently got in the way as the shot hit him and went over the bar.

Again we was passing the ball well around the pitch but final 3rd let us down.
And again Fylde don't look anything special but are in the play offs which just shows how poor we have been this season.

That was well long journey yesterday on the road.
Last edited by letchbee94 on 20 Apr 2019, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
becbee

Psycho wrote:
pgbee wrote:FGR just avoided relegation last year from L2 and are currently in the playoff spots so it can be done, whether we can do it next season with the current setup is open to debate...
I don't know if it's still legal but Leyton Orient offered settlements to their terrible players who were on contracts years ago and the new chairman improved the team the following season. The likes of Sparkes, Elito, Bettamer, Harrison, Adams etc can get some money and then join someone like Bishop's Stortford. It's the only chance we have of being 'in the promotion mix' next season. Use the FA Cup money to bin the woeful players off. It would be a shame to waste it like that but we need to get the squad down to 20 and use the loan market when needed.

Would Danny Rowe get homesick for the north? As Loudmouth mentioned, I agree with him that Paul McCallum would be a great signing.
It's legal to reach financial settlements with players to leave but we can't force anybody to go unless we pay off their contracts.
Why on earth would Danny Rowe even consider joining us? He is EFL quality.
beew

Psycho wrote:

Paul McCallum would be a realistic target. His contact is up and Eastleigh won't be able to afford a new deal under their new ownership. London born last as well
rudebwoyben

Jon83 wrote:

Absolutely, plus he neglects to mention that BW’s chairman has made an idiot of himself publicly on many occasions and that BW as a club are pretty much despised as well.
let_it_bee

becbee wrote:
You’ve listed a handful of things that Boreham Wood have, then neglected to mention we have the same said things?!
We have more fans than BW and more points on the board.
I suspect many of us live closer to BW than we do The Hive - but we continue to support Barnet.
Personally I couldn't care less about the burger bar or the chips - or the "lots more besides", whatever that is.[/quote]

Spot on becbee - I also live a lot closer to BW but wouldn't be seen dead at Meadow Park unless we were playing there. Your team is your team as far as I'm concerned, plus I can honestly say there's nothing at all I envy about their set-up compared to ours (other than the proximity of the ground, but a 5 mile drive is no major hardship).
let_it_bee

becbee wrote:
You’ve listed a handful of things that Boreham Wood have, then neglected to mention we have the same said things?!
We have more fans than BW and more points on the board.
I suspect many of us live closer to BW than we do The Hive - but we continue to support Barnet.
Personally I couldn't care less about the burger bar or the chips - or the "lots more besides", whatever that is.[/quote]

Spot on becbee - I also live a lot closer to BW but wouldn't be seen dead at Meadow Park unless we were playing there. Your team is your team as far as I'm concerned, plus I can honestly say there's nothing at all I envy about their set-up compared to ours (other than the proximity of the ground, but a 5 mile drive is no major hardship).
MCB

rudebwoyben wrote:
Jon83 wrote:

Absolutely, plus he neglects to mention that BW’s chairman has made an idiot of himself publicly on many occasions and that BW as a club are pretty much despised as well.
This fella? https://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/news ... d-goodbye/

The bloke that uses the club official twitter to post his political views?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... resa-ma-eu

Wish TK was just like him
Mem Beespod

MCB wrote:
rudebwoyben wrote:
Jon83 wrote:

This fella? https://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/news ... d-goodbye/

The bloke that uses the club official twitter to post his political views?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... resa-ma-eu

Wish TK was just like him
Just read that article of assault and realised I went to primary school with one of the victims!
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938