Hope

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
b4life

Hope

So we started the season with the most successful recent non league manager in charge and end it with a management novice in charge. It seems we’ve tried just about every type of manager in the last few years with only mad dog having any success. Many of the failures had a lot more going for them than DC does. Assuming DC does get the job full time, I honestly have not seen very much to convince me he’s the one to take us back up. Then again with so many false dawns who knows? I wish him all the best but will try to temper any enthusiasm until we’re at least 15 matches into next season, in the top 6 and playing consistently well. We analyse who is staying at the end of the season, get enthusiastic or not at new signings, hope builds as we play well in preseason but it clearly matters not one jot until August comes along. I wish I could avoid all news about the bees until then so as not to raise my hopes up but it’s impossible, Hope is the drug all football fans are addicted to, especially supporters of our ilk. I’ve been ‘married’ to the bees longer than I have been married, ‘divorces’ aren’t allowed, aren’t even possible in football are they? One more match to go until we can put this season to bed and look for crumbs of hope to feed us through the fasting of the close season. Does everyone feel this way or is it just me?
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
ninestein

Re: Hope

I'll be glad of a few weeks without football. It helps recharge the batteries and by the time pre-season comes about, we'll be up for it all again and ready to work out who Trialist1 is.

The thing which I'm most intrigued about this summer is going from one season into the next as an average mid table side. Can we set ourselves up to improve on that? We're unlikely to see the managerial merry go round this summer. We have a manager and coaching team in place and they will have the opportunity to re-shape the squad in their own mould. Last summer it was all about dealing with relegation. Would MA stay? How many decent players would leave? Too much uncertainty. I'm expecting an interesting retained list in a few weeks time. Once we see that, we'll have an idea of exactly how much Darren needs to do in the transfer market.

Darren may be a relative novice compared to the likes of Still, but he's had a good grounding in the game, and he should be judged on next season's performance rather than the last 4 months. He's definitely tried to change the way we play, but it will require different personnel to make it work properly. If he does pull it off, we could be in for a good season. As i mentioned before, out of all the recent managers, Darren is the one i want to succeed the most. More than Rossi, McGhee, Westley and Allen put together. Darren has a connection with our club and its fans. We shouldn't throw that aside too quickly.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
JWTBee

As i mentioned before, out of all the recent managers, Darren is the one i want to succeed the most. More than Rossi, McGhee, Westley and Allen put together. Darren has a connection with our club and its fans. We shouldn't throw that aside too quickly.

This! I'm in total agreement.We just need TK to back DC in the transfer market so that he can bring in the players that both he & we know that we need!
I love Luisma & really miss his skils!
mcleod23

I also share the same reservations on Currie. We mustn’t forget after Saturday he’s had 23 league games in charge with a distinctly average record and win percentage of under 30%. If ‘Currieball’ was the football we played on Saturday, we really won’t go anywhere.

Plenty of other candidates which I’m sure TK is considering. Want it to work for him but I’m not sure.
Norfolkbee

mcleod23 wrote:I also share the same reservations on Currie. We mustn’t forget after Saturday he’s had 23 league games in charge with a distinctly average record and win percentage of under 30%. If ‘Currieball’ was the football we played on Saturday, we really won’t go anywhere.

Plenty of other candidates which I’m sure TK is considering. Want it to work for him but I’m not sure.
I think we have to stick with DC in the interests of continuity. The managerial revolving door needs to be firmly shut. There probably are other managers out there, but will any decent ones want to come to Barnet, taking into account the club's car crash record on that front? They probably wouldn't touch the Bees with a bargepole if they were looking to seriously further their careers. That leaves you with candidates who have been on and off the managerial merry-go-round for years or complete rookies. At least it looks like there is a half decent manager in DC and he is someone to build on with the right help.
MCB

It's so hard to judge a poor bugger who has none of his own players (well, one young loanee when we had NO fit CM's), no midweek time training sessions to work on his style, and is now using games to give youngsters and fringe players time on the pitch, who took the team over mid to lower table, leaves it mid to lower table, but playing better football and with our greatest ever FA Cup run.

Either simply get rid of him and bring in the usual tedious trash (Darrell Clarke etc) or do as I want to see us - trust him!

Give him a contract, give him resources. Give him a 1 year contract with a 1 year extension if we make play offs next season and additional 1 year if we get promoted! Incentivise him.

He's already working on rebuilding the relationship between the fans and the players. He cares about the club. And hasn't had a fair crack of the whip yet. He may fail, like McGhee or Westley, but until we give him a chance.

I can just picture Darrell Clarke coming in for the wages despite publicly slating the club and thinking "wow this Harrison's the bloke to take us forward".
alexbach

Just occurred to me of an exchange on Barnet til armageddon.one moron screamed *assistant*at Nugent before a ball was kicked.Wonder if the same fool has had a similar tantrum now.ok I appreciate Nugent didn't work out,and another cretin wanted him assassinated Personally I think Darren Currie should be given a chance with a squad nearer of his own choosing

Sent from my 5033X using Tapatalk
john dockers shorts

Of course he should be manager next season. Having to work with the donkeys not his choice of donkey either.

Bring in his players etc and bin of those he can
pgbee

MCB wrote: I can just picture Darrell Clarke coming in for the wages despite publicly slating the club and thinking "wow this Harrison's the bloke to take us forward".
And for bad mouthing the club TK would be advised that he would be as popular with the fans as a Westley appointment.......
becbee

Back last May when MA left, the fans choice was between Gary Waddock and Luke Garrard. This season one has seen his team relegated, the other is just above the relegation places. Garrard's team played anti football in their fixtures against us. On the face of things, two good misses.

We thought John Still was a safe, if boring choice. He failed also.

Darrell Clarke saw Bristol Rovers to 2 promotions, it was only his final season when things went wrong for him. Not that I want him either. I believe we should stay with Darren Currie, see what he can achieve with his own squad.
pgbee

GW (not unreasonably) was a popular choice as the side got results under his management when MA was ill and Aldershot did well under him until this season.
mcleod23

MCB wrote:It's so hard to judge a poor bugger who has none of his own players (well, one young loanee when we had NO fit CM's), no midweek time training sessions to work on his style, and is now using games to give youngsters and fringe players time on the pitch, who took the team over mid to lower table, leaves it mid to lower table, but playing better football and with our greatest ever FA Cup run.

Either simply get rid of him and bring in the usual tedious trash (Darrell Clarke etc) or do as I want to see us - trust him!

Give him a contract, give him resources. Give him a 1 year contract with a 1 year extension if we make play offs next season and additional 1 year if we get promoted! Incentivise him.

He's already working on rebuilding the relationship between the fans and the players. He cares about the club. And hasn't had a fair crack of the whip yet. He may fail, like McGhee or Westley, but until we give him a chance.

I can just picture Darrell Clarke coming in for the wages despite publicly slating the club and thinking "wow this Harrison's the bloke to take us forward".
Re Clarke - the guy with two promotions?! Don't get how he's trash? Regarding his comments, if he won games would people really care? Pick the best man for the job whoever it is.

People who are out of work need a job at the end of day to pay the bills. They are not particularly in the driving seat and have several offers on the table!
Norfolkbee

mcleod23 wrote:
MCB wrote:It's so hard to judge a poor bugger who has none of his own players (well, one young loanee when we had NO fit CM's), no midweek time training sessions to work on his style, and is now using games to give youngsters and fringe players time on the pitch, who took the team over mid to lower table, leaves it mid to lower table, but playing better football and with our greatest ever FA Cup run.

Re Clarke - the guy with two promotions?! Don't get how he's trash? Regarding his comments, if he won games would people really care? Pick the best man for the job whoever it is.

People who are out of work need a job at the end of day to pay the bills. They are not particularly in the driving seat and have several offers on the table!
Clarke would not be attracted to Barnet. He has a reasonable CV and will be looking to better it. At the moment, Barnet are struggling for an identity. Despite being a former Football League club, you couldn't look at them and say hand on heart that they will be genuine promotion contenders next season. They have let clubs like Salford, Fylde and Solihull steal a march on them and you have to remember that two of these will still be in our league next season. Unless TK really opens his cheque book and financially backs DC, I can't really see Barnet doing any better than a top-half finish next season in a league where money really is starting to talk.
#Beebot

Norfolkbee wrote:
mcleod23 wrote:

Clarke would not be attracted to Barnet. He has a reasonable CV and will be looking to better it. At the moment, Barnet are struggling for an identity. Despite being a former Football League club, you couldn't look at them and say hand on heart that they will be genuine promotion contenders next season. They have let clubs like Salford, Fylde and Solihull steal a march on them and you have to remember that two of these will still be in our league next season. Unless TK really opens his cheque book and financially backs DC, I can't really see Barnet doing any better than a top-half finish next season in a league where money really is starting to talk.
Of the three you've named only Salford would have a higher budget than us.
ninestein

I can see Solihull being a bit of a one-season wonder.
If Fylde/Salford fail in the playoffs (and it's possible for both of them to do so), they will still be realistic promotion challengers next season. Quite where the other threats come from remains to be seen. If Notts County drop, it depends on whether they galvanise themselves and adapt quickly to this league. If Stockport come up, they could be a threat to the top 7.
Last edited by ninestein on 25 Apr 2019, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!