Wycombe Wanderers (Hive) The Chair We Go Again Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
barnetpete

Re: Wycombe Wanderers (Hive) The Chair We Go Again Thread

Was told that he’s over for a while and just helping out DC whilst he is over. Don’t believe it’s permanent.
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
ninestein

Permanent or not, it's always good to see a former hero return and play a part.

For those who weren't following the club in the late 90's, Sammy arrived in 96/97 as a youngster from Southampton and was a real fans favourite for several seasons. He brought an energy to the right wing back position. I may be incorrect here, but I think Wikipedia have it wrong... I'm sure it was Alan Mullery who signed him in the January, not Terry Bullivant. Terry took charge at the start of the season in the wake of Ray Clemence being lured into Glenn Hoddle's England setup the day before the season started. He oversaw our 2nd round league cup tie with West Ham, before TK appointed AM. When Mullery departed later on that season, Bullivant once again took over as caretaker manager. He left at the end of the season and John Still was appointed. So, by my reckoning, signing Sam was probably the only thing that Mullery got right during his dire tenure.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
jerroll

ninestein wrote:Permanent or not, it's always good to see a former hero return and play a part.

For those who weren't following the club in the late 90's, Sammy arrived in 96/97 as a youngster from Southampton and was a real fans favourite for several seasons. He brought an energy to the right wing back position. I may be incorrect here, but I think Wikipedia have it wrong... I'm sure it was Alan Mullery who signed him in the January, not Terry Bullivant. Terry took charge at the start of the season in the wake of Ray Clemence being lured into Glenn Hoddle's England setup the day before the season started. He oversaw our 2nd round league cup tie with West Ham, before TK appointed AM. When Mullery departed later on that season, Bullivant once again took over as caretaker manager. He left at the end of the season and John Still was appointed. So, by my reckoning, signing Sam was probably the only thing that Mullery got right during his dire tenure.
Almost spot on - Mullery's spell with us is only listed as DOF on Wiki. Bully was manager from august until October when Gibbo took over as caretaker for 1 1/2 games (Mullery was appointed on the Monday & game was on Tuesday & at half time he mugged Gibbo off by saying I'm in charge now!) Bully was tempted back as no2 for a while then Mullers resigned & was just DOF for a few weeks before quitting altogether! Bully was then appointed full time before Reading came in for him & we appointed Stilly! It was Mullery who signed Sam Stockley after we sold Maik Taylor to Saints then their reserve keeper Neil Moss refused to join us on loan as part of the deal hence Lee Harrison was given his chance.
ninestein

One wonders how very different things could have been had Neil Moss actually signed on loan. Harrison might not have established himself as a Barnet legend. Still, in the grand scheme of things, I'd have preferred 4 seasons of Sammy to a few months of some reserve GK all day long.
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
jerroll

ninestein wrote:One wonders how very different things could have been had Neil Moss actually signed on loan. Harrison might not have established himself as a Barnet legend. Still, in the grand scheme of things, I'd have preferred 4 seasons of Sammy to a few months of some reserve GK all day long.
Definitely, things always happen for a reason like Gary Bull's move to Fortuna Rotterdam for £42k falling through in the summer of 1989!
MCB

ninestein wrote:Permanent or not, it's always good to see a former hero return and play a part.

Just as an aside - some of you will remember someone doing a 'I Saw Sammy Score' when he finally scored his first goal for us at Hull after 4 years for us. Was it one of you? Anyway, Sammy's confirmed he got the shirt signed by the squad - and it hangs in his kids bedroom!

Awesome stuff!