On this day...

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
MCB

On this day...

15 years ago today, Barnet 1 - 10 Arsenal. They were the Invincibles team that had won the league the previous season.

Reyes and Jeffers scored hattricks, Van Persie and Bergkamp played. I wasn't there, it was an Arsenal fans day out, a moneymaking match, hell, you could even pay to play...

Most noticable though, we went on to win the Conference with ease.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB2QuydwQxg
hoofer2

Re: On this day...

At a time when PL teams were still prepared to send out strong XIs to lower league teams.

To put the Palace win into context only one outfield player in first team squad, and the goalie is 3rd choice. A wins a win though !
MCB

hoofer2 wrote:At a time when PL teams were still prepared to send out strong XIs to lower league teams.

To put the Palace win into context only one outfield player in first team squad, and the goalie is 3rd choice. A wins a win though !
To be fair, it was only every other season. They played youth teams when it was a world cup or Euros year as most of their players were on extended break.

Such as when Yaya Toure played his only game for them and was outplayed by Liam Hatch in a dull 0-0 - the only one of these games I saw.
jerroll

hoofer2 wrote:At a time when PL teams were still prepared to send out strong XIs to lower league teams.

3 outfield players - Wickham, Riedwald & Sourloth who they paid £9mill for.
hoofer2

jerroll wrote:

My CP supporting friend said in advance that Sourloth is absolutely useless and stands no chance of breaking into first XI.
Apparently makes Benteke seem prolific :)
becbee

hoofer2 wrote:
jerroll wrote:

My CP supporting friend said in advance that Sourloth is absolutely useless and stands no chance of breaking into first XI.
Apparently makes Benteke seem prolific :)
And we complain about poor signings. At least ours don't cost us £9million!
#Beebot

I remember reading somewhere that Sorloth was signed entirely based off the analytics that has become popular in recent years - apparently his "expected goals" and "expected assists" were really good - but not much account taken of the fact that was in the Danish league.

Shows the limitations of that method when not used alongside traditional scouting.
Roy57

I know we are looking hard for a target man who can hold the ball up but Crystal palace Sorloth isn't good enough even with us still not finding the right one. and Whoever said he is worth 9 million should Be put on sweep up duty from now on.
Norfolkbee

Roy57 wrote:I know we are looking hard for a target man who can hold the ball up but Crystal palace Sorloth isn't good enough even with us still not finding the right one. and Whoever said he is worth 9 million should Be put on sweep up duty from now on.
Won't happen because Hodgson plays with an orthodox back four.
natwilk

My memory of that Arsenal game was that Arsenal came out looking like they couldn't be bothered, then our left wing, was it Richie graham?, only went and scored and suddenly it was Barnet 1-0 against the team that had gone unbeaten the entire season. So they woke up and got mad and we lost 1-10!
... All we have to do is keep winning the next game ...
LoudmouthBFC

Tricky Dicky
Norfolkbee

LoudmouthBFC wrote:Tricky Dicky
Scored our first goal back in the EFL, I believe. Never quite transferred his Conference form to the higher level.
LoudmouthBFC

Norfolkbee wrote:
LoudmouthBFC wrote:Tricky Dicky
Scored our first goal back in the EFL, I believe. Never quite transferred his Conference form to the higher level.

Never really recovered from his injury. Shame, I use to love watching him cut inside and out. Rumour has it. He taught Arjen Robben everything he knows.