Dag and Red (Away) The Curried Eel Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
MCB

Re: Dag and Red (Away) The Curried Eel Match Thread

Felt D&R really sat off after we scored till the end of the game. I think all their chances came before their goal?

Very odd 2nd half, wish we'd gone for it. Draw completely fair, but both teams chickened out of going for 3 points.
ETBee

D&R were the better team, especially in the first half. They seemed more organised than us and it seemed inevitable that they would score especially as they hit the woodwork twice in quick succession. Walkers goal came just at the right time, but I think it was our only shot on target all game.

Again we lacked purpose and forward drive. Players don't seem to know what to do with the ball once they receive it and there are no patterns in our play, it's all a bit random. There was a period in the second half when we were all over the place and players were looking at each other as though they'd never been on a football pitch before.

EMC continues to frustrate. He needs to be firmly told that when he gets the ball his job is not to show how he can dribble past a defender (which he usually can't) but to get the ball into the box quickly. His one on one miss was not good, he panicked.

I think criticism of Pavey is unfair. By the time he came on most of the play was around the half way line or in our own half so he got no service. On the one rare occasion that the ball was crossed into the box he did well to draw a defender away allowing somebody else to head the ball, sadly over the bar.

Taylor was incredible. He must have touched the ball more that all the other players put together. Good to see Tutonda back.
Roy57

Agree there seemed more than 345 at game yesterday. First half we without doubt rode our luck. They hit the cross bar twice. They had one on one with loach. And we were poor first half. Only chance was mason clark who once he was on goal never looked like he knew what he was going to do with it. Which he didn't and effort well wide. I thought walker apart from his well taken goal had poor game. Gets pushed off ball far to easy. He is a big centre halfs dream. Agree with comment above that 2nd half. Looked as if both teams had settled for the point. They dropped the pressing they put in first half. When Pavey came on for first time we won balls put into box / air. And felt sorry as bad no service. Midfield weak yesterday. No creativity except from Jack Taylor. Lovely cross field passes from him and Sweeney. Who was lucky not to get sent off. At least twice he flew into reckless challenges that for him just missed the player. Missing Boucaud's creativity. To take pressure of taylor. As if teams put man in him there goes our flair player. Annoying that we didn't put in a top performance with the away following. As this was so good after Flyde game. But as game panned out a draw and a point was good result. Was impressed with Dagenham striker Joe Quigley. Caused us few problems. Good control and threat in the air.
Last edited by Roy57 on 06 Oct 2019, 12:53, edited 2 times in total.
becbee

Judging solely from a Barnet prospective, I can see where Roy57 is coming from. However that takes no account of the fact that D&R showed similar ability and commitment, I thought that the two sides cancelled each other out.
Pre match I thought a draw would be a decent result, post match I thought it a fair result.

Also, D&R had only conceded 1 goal in their previous 5 matches, the fact that we took advantage of their one real defensive lapse is a plus.
Theguru

Hi all, I’m a new member so go easy on me. I felt the result yesterday was fair. Both teams were very evenly matched and neither wanted to lose really. D&R are on a unbeaten run of about 10 games I think. (Correct me if I’m wrong) so to play them at home too I felt was a good result seeing as we have been a little hit and miss lately. Good to see walker scoring again it will keep his confidence going but I do feel the criticism of pavey is completely unfair. He offers something different and to expect him to deliver straight away is harsh. He will come good but like the other players in the team re how he plays, he needs time to adjust to the way we play. We have to trust DC in buying him too as we didn’t win him in a raffle did we, so he sees something in him. Good to see the team slowly getting players back too from injury. I feel we will be ok as the season goes on in what I also feel will be a very competitive league once again. Can we do it ? Absolutely !!!!! Nest stop though is another tough game at home to Bromley who will be looking to get back to winning ways too after the weekend. Bring it on !
letchbee94

I agree with Roy57 it felt to me that we had about 400 plus away fans.

Anyway was happy with the draw, just hope we can follow it up with 2 wins this week at the Hive.
Decent first half where if honest we got lucky a couple of times when they hit the bar, we showed good bouncebackability in responding quickly to going behind, good to see Josh get another goal.
hoofer2

ETBee wrote:D&R were the better team, especially in the first half. They seemed more organised than us and it seemed inevitable that they would score especially as they hit the woodwork twice in quick succession. Walkers goal came just at the right time, but I think it was our only shot on target all game.

Again we lacked purpose and forward drive. Players don't seem to know what to do with the ball once they receive it and there are no patterns in our play, it's all a bit random. There was a period in the second half when we were all over the place and players were looking at each other as though they'd never been on a football pitch before.

EMC continues to frustrate. He needs to be firmly told that when he gets the ball his job is not to show how he can dribble past a defender (which he usually can't) but to get the ball into the box quickly. His one on one miss was not good, he panicked.

I think criticism of Pavey is unfair. By the time he came on most of the play was around the half way line or in our own half so he got no service. On the one rare occasion that the ball was crossed into the box he did well to draw a defender away allowing somebody else to head the ball, sadly over the bar.

Taylor was incredible. He must have touched the ball more that all the other players put together. Good to see Tutonda back.
We are a team in transition once again as we have players returning from injury. While Currie is finding the right blend we are not losing. This game would have been a defeat this time last season.

Having Tutonda, Sweeney and Vilhete back and firing on all cylinders means we have decent cover for all positions. Great to have dilemmas and options.
beew

hoofer2 wrote:
ETBee wrote:D&R were the better team, especially in the first half. They seemed more organised than us and it seemed inevitable that they would score especially as they hit the woodwork twice in quick succession. Walkers goal came just at the right time, but I think it was our only shot on target all game.

We are a team in transition once again as we have players returning from injury. While Currie is finding the right blend we are not losing. This game would have been a defeat this time last season.

Having Tutonda, Sweeney and Vilhete back and firing on all cylinders means we have decent cover for all positions. Great to have dilemmas and options.
Agree. I've positive feelings for once in a while.
LoudmouthBFC

Dagenham & Redbridge F.C. 1 v Barnet F.C. 1 | Dagenham Market | GAMEDAY! Vlog! (06/10/19)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SGOHeB5Fiw
JOHNBFC

Roy57 wrote:Agree there seemed more than 345 at game yesterday. First half we without doubt rode our luck. They hit the cross bar twice. They had one on one with loach. And we were poor first half. Only chance was mason clark who once he was on goal never looked like he knew what he was going to do with it. Which he didn't and effort well wide. I thought walker apart from his well taken goal had poor game. Gets pushed off ball far to easy. He is a big centre halfs dream. Agree with comment above that 2nd half. Looked as if both teams had settled for the point. They dropped the pressing they put in first half. When Pavey came on for first time we won balls put into box / air. And felt sorry as bad no service. Midfield weak yesterday. No creativity except from Jack Taylor. Lovely cross field passes from him and Sweeney. Who was lucky not to get sent off. At least twice he flew into reckless challenges that for him just missed the player. Missing Boucaud's creativity. To take pressure of taylor. As if teams put man in him there goes our flair player. Annoying that we didn't put in a top performance with the away following. As this was so good after Flyde game. But as game panned out a draw and a point was good result. Was impressed with Dagenham striker Joe Quigley. Caused us few problems. Good control and threat in the air.
Boucards's creativity??? All he does is pass sideways like a crab and then run to the player who he has just passed to like those training drills.
Bee_Forever

He is very creative. Seems to find new ways be injured every few weeks.

Currently the least useful of the dagenham 5 and he was the one we had the highest hopes for.

At 35 years old looks like he's a busted flush.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him retire before his contract ends.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
#Beebot

There's no doubting Boucaud's technical ability, but he doesn't contribute enough for me in defence or attack, even if his pass completion is better than anyone else's in the team.

I think it's telling that for a player with as much ability as he clearly has, he's never played above L1 level in a 16 year career.
Tuesds

Wow - have now watched the highlights and am *sickened* by the challenge on Sweeney at 01:05 in. The guy goes to ground, takes Sweeney out and the ball is barely even in sight! And not even a card!?

https://youtu.be/zb-YfL5Jcqw
Tuesds

Tuesds wrote:Wow - have now watched the highlights and am *sickened* by the challenge on Sweeney at 01:05 in. The guy goes to ground, takes Sweeney out and the ball is barely even in sight! And not even a card!?

If you’ve not been tempted to click on the link based on the above, what actually happens is somehow the ref slips and slides into Sweeney, bringing him down.

David Coleman, Emlyn Hughes and Bill Beaumont would’ve loved it. These days, it might be worth a few retweets/reposts/shares if anyone wants to clip it.
hoofer2

Tuesds wrote:Wow - have now watched the highlights and am *sickened* by the challenge on Sweeney at 01:05 in. The guy goes to ground, takes Sweeney out and the ball is barely even in sight! And not even a card!?

Sweeney got away with many haystack challenges too last season. It all evens out