Stockport (Hive) The Hat's Entertainment! Match Thread

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
BeesKnees99

Re: Stockport (Hive) The Hat's Entertainment! Match Thread

At this point, I would take Mad Dog back in a heartbeat - if only to steady the ship, motivate these mediocre players and get us playing as a TEAM.

He’d be able to trim this terrible bloated squad, and seems to be someone who actually commands leadership, unlike Currie’s “I’m just one of the lads” style.
barnetboy1

Frustrating!!
Whether we were "the better team" today or we "deserved to get something out of today's game" the harsh truth is we got nothing, zip, nada, nil points.
For a League side relegated by the narrowest of margins and pushing to recover that League status we are playing like a bang-average Conference side who can't score enough goals and can't defend set pieces.
We need a big reality check and some fundamental changes to the Club's mindset.
Barnetchris

I just cannot believe we lost that game!!. it was probably the most frustrating game I’ve had to watch this season. Barnet played with intensity, skill and great approach play there was hardly any passing backwards we were always on the front foot, we looked head and shoulders above Stockport.
As people have said we had so many chances to hit the ball first time and everytime it was over the bar or straight at their keeper we should have been 3-0 at half -time, we have a good young team but we are missing an old head experienced striker ( Tarpeyesque) who won’t snatch in front of goal, the money apparently isn’t there so we will wait until next season, getting rid of Currie is not the answer the brand of football is decent. Loach was at fault initially for setting up the first goal why did he head the ball when he could have taken a step back and caught the ball , having said that he made a couple of good saves after. The 2nd just poor defending.
Nudger70

I keep seeing we can’t defend setpieces . Were even worse with our own setpieces poor corners that rarely find a player. Free kicks no better.
finchleyman

Stockport came to defend and for seventy minutes they did quite well. We should have been at least 3-0 up by the time we actually scored which was a really well taken goal by EMC. we had several opportunities prior to that but poor shooting combined with some decent keeping kept us out. Five minutes later it s 1-1 with a mess-up in the defence and not clearing the lines. Stockport realised that our defence is shite and continued to attack resulting in their second goal from a set piece.

It is really all too familiar but there was more bite and effort from our players in this game and instead of feeling that they deserved to lose, I felt that this time they were unlucky to lose. But a crap defence and an attack full of dwarfs is not really any good. Why we keep crossing high centres to a bunch of dwarfs is beyond me. Surely low crosses (and Stockport did two or three) are very dangerous and difficult to defend against. As I have said before with out players the direct approach has to be the right way and EMC's goal was exactly that. I never thought I would say it but more hoofball and less ballerina football would be a good idea.

Another loss, 15th in the table and diving towards relegation - by the New Year?
barnet34

Does anyone else get frustrated at the amount of time it takes us to take a corner, just when we've got them under the cosh, we get a corner, and by the time someone finally ambles over to take it they have organised their defence and the moment is over. How does that work?
b4life

All this focus on the 'final third'. We scored enough goals to win the game. I suggest DC starts with getting clean sheets, clearly it's the defence we need to get right first.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
becbee

ninestein wrote:So here's the million dollar question... who do you bring in to replace him, assuming that's where this is going?

Who from the managerial merry-go-round is going to take this group of players and galvanise them into a more robust side to grind out the results we all want?

Personally, i think it's the wrong time to make a change. There's no money to bring players in. That problem will only be solved in the summer when contracts are up. Until then, any new manager would be tied into working with the players we have now.
Sure, any new manager would be tied into working with the players we have now. But the players are not bad players. They certainly wouldn't be if they had a manager who inspired them to raise their performance 10%.
Sure, we were unlucky, we should have scored more than once. But where was the motivation? Once we finally did score, that should have been match over. Instead we let Stockport equalise. Even then, there was no fight, no urgency. We appeared to have settled for the draw. Which I'm sure Stockport would have been happy with, but then we gifted them a winner by turning off at their corner.

The players do not communicate with each other, the manager doesn't communicate with them.

I can accept that unlucky results happen. But that excuse is starting to wear a bit thin. Successful teams, successful managers make their own luck.
PBBee

Stupid thing is before their equaliser we were 6pts off top & things were looking ok.
jamiefrbees

The only positive I can muster tonight is that at least no-one died.

Oh and Elito is a fantastic player

I can't imagine how low the camp is after a game like that. A lot of effort and a good performance against a very average side and still....... 0 points.

Unlucky or telling for the inadequacies in Currie's management/ mental strength?

Results don't lie. Two wins in 12 is it?
pgbee

Psycho wrote:
pgbee wrote:As in recent previous seasons this club contrives to lose games when it seemed easier to win. Performances will keep us up not points! We're too good to go down obviously, the results prove that.
Too good to go down - now you've done it!

Lose at Barrow and at home to Ebbsfleet then Currie should not be managing this club. Give it to Danny Senda (manager of the youth team).
We're ok it's when opposition fans say it , we're in trouble. Think I might go along and watch Horsham soon, top after winning away at Potter's Bar today, better than we managed...
foxy

Did anyone sat in the East stand see what happened with Dunne and Lewis after the equalizer?

Hard to make out but Dunne ran half the pitch to confront him about something? He did not seem to impressed whatever it was about.....

I am still in a state of shock, I actually thought we played really well, how the hell we lost that game I do not know (Well I do really) as explained above...

In the longer term, what worries me is that OK, we get what we want and clear out 75% of the squad at the end of the year but who do we trust to start the rebuilding process again? It appears TKs triangle of contacts is down from 3 to only MA now (John Still fucked him over and PF has now retired) I am not sure TK has the ability/knowledge/respect to get anyone else in?!??!

I am not a fan but I would happily have MA back tomorrow - but only until the end of the season and to kick all the deadbeats out of the club...

How the hell is Reynolds our captain, how the hell is balloon boy even a football player?!?!?!!?!? We lack leadership from the chairman right down to the stewards......
let_it_bee

Barnetchris wrote:I just cannot believe we lost that game!!. it was probably the most frustrating game I’ve had to watch this season. Barnet played with intensity, skill and great approach play there was hardly any passing backwards we were always on the front foot, we looked head and shoulders above Stockport.
As people have said we had so many chances to hit the ball first time and everytime it was over the bar or straight at their keeper we should have been 3-0 at half -time, we have a good young team but we are missing an old head experienced striker ( Tarpeyesque) who won’t snatch in front of goal, the money apparently isn’t there so we will wait until next season, getting rid of Currie is not the answer the brand of football is decent. Loach was at fault initially for setting up the first goal why did he head the ball when he could have taken a step back and caught the ball , having said that he made a couple of good saves after. The 2nd just poor defending.
Agree with all of that, except the bit about Loach (I thought he did well for the header, and don't remember him having any other serious saves to make.)
It was my first game since the one at Potters Bar, and I wasn't expecting much in light of recent reports, but was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of football that we played. Playing 4 instead of 5 at the back makes such a difference. None of the endless, futile passing across the back line today - we played at a much higher tempo. But of course it's the old achilles heel - no one with that clinical ability to finish off the numerous chances created.
When we took the lead I thought that was it - done and dusted. I guess under previous regimes we would have parked the bus, which in itself was often much criticised, but Currie clearly doesn't believe in that approach. I suspect the withdrawal of Tutonda may have unsettled things, because they suddenly started to look more productive from that side of the pitch. And at the end of the day if you can't defend a routine near-post corner then I guess you get what you deserve. But perversely I still found it quite an enjoyable afternoon overall, with Elito in particular a joy to watch, and almost everyone else putting in decent individual performances. It was a classic smash and grab from a team that created next to nothing for most of the game. That's sometimes just the way things go when you're on a bad run. Learn from it and move on. (*stands back in readiness for a barrage of abuse*)
pgbee

let_it_bee wrote:Learn from it and move on. (*stands back in readiness for a barrage of abuse*)
Except we don't, to make a mistake is human, you learn from it. To make the same mistake again , you start to question the ability, to do it three times many managers in the workplace would get rid. As a club this applies from the Chairman presiding over three relegations down through the defence shipping goals from set pieces to the bar staff not pulling pints correctly.
barnet_pls

beesknees99 wrote:
ninestein wrote:I don't want to see DC given the bullet. But there will come a point where the chairman will say enough is enough. All I would say, is when that time does come, for crying out loud get someone in who knows what they're doing. Don't go for a rookie and take us even further backwards. The basis of a good side is there. We need to be more convincing in what we do. Defend uglier, and finish teams off.

Part of me feels like we're trying to play the wrong type of football in this division. Maybe we need to play uglier and get results, then change the style as and when we move up the league ladder.

I hope DC can still turn things around quickly. It sounds like we've played well today and not got our reward for it. But that trend can't last forever. Time to dig deep.
The amount of times I’ve heard “we were the better side” after losing.... that phrase should be banned unless you have won.

The simple object of the game is to outscore the opposition. If you have not done that, you objectively were NOT the better side.

As for your point about “playing the wrong type of football”... of COURSE we are! We can’t pull off the idealistic possession-based game Currie wants, nor could we pull off an uglier hoof-ball style - we just don’t have the personnel.

I will never understand why our inept manager insists on playing 2 defensive midfielders every time - it scuppers our attacking options, and doesn’t even seem to prevent us shipping goals every game.

This is very much Deja Vu. Put a rookie in charge who thinks he’s the second coming of Guardiola, have a good honeymoon period and people say “we play such nice football”, then watch as everything inevitably goes South.

It wasn't our attacking options scuppered today. We should ha e buried them 3-0 first half alone. Its the finishing, leadership and defending that's needed. That needs a new captain, not a new mamager