Currie out

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
Norfolkbee

Re: Currie out

This is a big test for DC so let's see how he does. Barring a drop in relegation trouble, he should be given until the end of the season to prove he can do the job. A day out at Wembley for the FA Trophy final would be just great. The team currently seems to be playing with the brakes on, timid and frightened of making a mistake. DC should encourage them to play with more freedom.
If Currie cocks up, then let a new manager start with a clean slate, decent budget and predominently a new group of players. Finally, let's put the idea of another return for MA to bed once and for all. Crowds are poor now, but Allen's brand of football would see them plummet into three figures permanently.
ninestein

TK said it himself in the Q&A. If we dont get promoted this season we lose funding for our academy. That will represent a massive defeat in the grand scheme of things. One could almost argue that it would see us reduced to a level playing field in terms of set up. We'd have a minimal youth system which would put us on par with every other club in the division. The only saving grace is the outside business interests of the Hive which compensate for our low gates.

Ever since that day at Burton, our club has tried to be clever and do things different by putting the emphasis on player development and trusting in youth. Where has it got us? The only successful season was when MA signed proper experienced first team players and we won the league.

I've always said that the notion of becoming the Crewe of the South is a noble idea, but it needs to be shelved until we are back in the league and holding our own. Right now we need players who can mix it in this division. That includes signing a big ugly defender who can defend set pieces, and a proper centre forward who can link up play and finish his dinner. That doesn't mean that DC can't be the manager, but we need the coin to drop that we are a NL club. And to be competitive in this league you need certain types of players on the pitch.

Sorry if this sounds negative, I'm not normally like this, but yet again I'm walking into work Monday morning feeling sheepish, hoping that our result went under the radar and everyone will be talking about the international games
Barnet showing all the flair of Rupert-the-Bears trousers, but lots more style!
Norfolkbee

ninestein wrote:TK said it himself in the Q&A. If we dont get promoted this season we lose funding for our academy. That will represent a massive defeat in the grand scheme of things. One could almost argue that it would see us reduced to a level playing field in terms of set up. We'd have a minimal youth system which would put us on par with every other club in the division. The only saving grace is the outside business interests of the Hive which compensate for our low gates.

Ever since that day at Burton, our club has tried to be clever and do things different by putting the emphasis on player development and trusting in youth. Where has it got us? The only successful season was when MA signed proper experienced first team players and we won the league.

I've always said that the notion of becoming the Crewe of the South is a noble idea, but it needs to be shelved until we are back in the league and holding our own. Right now we need players who can mix it in this division. That includes signing a big ugly defender who can defend set pieces, and a proper centre forward who can link up play and finish his dinner. That doesn't mean that DC can't be the manager, but we need the coin to drop that we are a NL club. And to be competitive in this league you need certain types of players on the pitch.

Sorry if this sounds negative, I'm not normally like this, but yet again I'm walking into work Monday morning feeling sheepish, hoping that our result went under the radar and everyone will be talking about the international games
Players who "can mix it at this level" cost money and there is none.
becbee

Norfolkbee wrote:This is a big test for DC so let's see how he does. Barring a drop in relegation trouble, he should be given until the end of the season to prove he can do the job. A day out at Wembley for the FA Trophy final would be just great. The team currently seems to be playing with the brakes on, timid and frightened of making a mistake. DC should encourage them to play with more freedom.
If Currie cocks up, then let a new manager start with a clean slate, decent budget and predominently a new group of players. Finally, let's put the idea of another return for MA to bed once and for all. Crowds are poor now, but Allen's brand of football would see them plummet into three figures permanently.
On current form, the only thing that will prevent a drop into relegation trouble is the incompetence of the current strugglers.
Cue us gifting 3 points to 23rd place Ebbsfleet a week on Tuesday.
BeeArmy

becbee wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:This is a big test for DC so let's see how he does. Barring a drop in relegation trouble, he should be given until the end of the season to prove he can do the job. A day out at Wembley for the FA Trophy final would be just great. The team currently seems to be playing with the brakes on, timid and frightened of making a mistake. DC should encourage them to play with more freedom.
On current form, the only thing that will prevent a drop into relegation trouble is the incompetence of the current strugglers.
Cue us gifting 3 points to 23rd place Ebbsfleet a week on Tuesday.
Currie has a dreadful record against the bottom sides.
Braintree (A) 4-0 loss
Maidstone (A) 2-1 loss
Ebbsfleet (A) 3-0 loss
Wouldn't surprise me if Ebbsfleet win
Norfolkbee

Let's face it, barring a couple back from international duty, Saturday's squad is all we have unless a few others suddenly rise like Lazarus. As far as I can see, confidence is shot to pieces and the management team needs to concentrate on building this. We have some reasonable players who are struggling at the moment.
John_c

Norfolk & Chance wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:
X-Bumble wrote:
BEE428 wrote:At least bringing Allen back would back some enthusiasm, even if he brought in a lump up front
There is no budget to bring anyone in, lump or otherwise.
This seems to be passing people by. TK said there is NO more money. Simple as that.
We hear about the south stand development soon don't we.
That's going to cost a big chunk of the Underhill proceeds.
The stadium gets better and better and the team gets worse and worse.
A very odd juxtaposition created by our man TK.
It will offset capital gains tax payments nicely. It's mainly diverting funds from HMRC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Proud Sponsor of Luisma Villa Lopez's Football Conference Winning Away Shirt. Season 2014/15

Proud Winner of the Sponsor Marvin Armstrong Shirt Raffle 2023/24

Worlds best Prediction League player
Norfolk & Chance

Wow, I hope Jezza doesn't get to hear about it.
Clearly we're all in support of it though ;)
BeeBoi1980

We had 31 points from 23 games when JS left last season.
We won 29 points from the remaining 23 games with DC in charge last season.
It will be interesting to see how many points we have after the Ebbsfleet game next week when we will have played 23 games this season.
Interestingly we will hit the 23 game mark exactly a month earlier than last season.
JOHNBFC

In my opinion, on paper Currie should get the sack because I agree with MCLEOD23 if this was anyone else we would be demanding the sack. Football is dry and it says something e,g. the other day when we were the better team and still managed to lose. However with Tk's track record of poor managerial appointments(John Still, Rossi, Nugent, mcgoo and Wesley) I cant see him appointing someone who is competent of changing this around. Mad dog return? Well although he will bring so many positives to the club however will inevitably be short term. Nevertheless I wouldn't be disappointed in his return.
Norfolkbee

Strikes me that there needs to be a no-holds-barred meeting involving everyone involved with the team to get to the root causes of the problems. After this, DC (and maybe TK) needs to act and sort them out. It's no good everyone walking about with faces like a wet bank holiday and just going through the motions. Perhaps the problem is that there are players coming to the end of two-year JS contracts and they know they aren't really wanted but are in the team because DC has nobody else.
Last edited by Norfolkbee on 19 Nov 2019, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
hoofer2

Norfolkbee wrote:Strikes me that there needs to be a no-holds-barred meeting involving everyone involved with the team to get to the root causes of the problems. After this, DC (and maybe TK) needs to act and sort them out. It's no good everyone walking about with faces like a week bank holiday and just going through the motions. Perhaps the problem is that there are players coming to the end of two-year JS contracts and they know they aren't really wanted but are in the team because DC has nobody else.
Or do we overestimate the capabilities of the players coming through the academy. In my opinion when they get to age 21 it's obvious which ones have got it in them to improve further and which ones have plateaued and doing the best within their ability range? I suggest that too many fall into the plateaued category and will not improve by much.
Norfolkbee

hoofer2 wrote:
Norfolkbee wrote:Strikes me that there needs to be a no-holds-barred meeting involving everyone involved with the team to get to the root causes of the problems. After this, DC (and maybe TK) needs to act and sort them out. It's no good everyone walking about with faces like a week bank holiday and just going through the motions. Perhaps the problem is that there are players coming to the end of two-year JS contracts and they know they aren't really wanted but are in the team because DC has nobody else.
Or do we overestimate the capabilities of the players coming through the academy. In my opinion when they get to age 21 it's obvious which ones have got it in them to improve further and which ones have plateaued and doing the best within their ability range? I suggest that too many fall into the plateaued category and will not improve by much.
This could also be the case, but at least the majority of the youngsters will actually try. It is very easy not to do so when your gaffer spent much of the summer trying to shepherd you out the door to other clubs, probably with a large pay cut. I had this situation when my department was closed down, but we were all expected to work a three month notice period to smooth the changes through. Nobody gave a f*#* because we weren't really wanted, but we had to stay to pick up our pay-offs. Respect and favours for the bosses soon went out the window.
dawat

Norfolkbee wrote:
hoofer2 wrote:
This could also be the case, but at least the majority of the youngsters will actually try. It is very easy not to do so when your gaffer spent much of the summer trying to shepherd you out the door to other clubs, probably with a large pay cut. I had this situation when my department was closed down, but we were all expected to work a three month notice period to smooth the changes through. Nobody gave a f*#* because we weren't really wanted, but we had to stay to pick up our pay-offs. Respect and favours for the bosses soon went out the window.
I can obviously understand this 'lack of enthusiasm' from players expecting to be offloaded, but as a fan I do not accept it if this is correct. These players are professional footballers who are paid to do a job and should be busting a gut to impress their Barnet manager or any potential representatives from other clubs that could provide a golden opportunity elsewhere. Other than a childish strop, just what benefit does any player get from playing badly or without effort from a viewpoint of self respect or promoting themselves to other employers?
Mem Beespod

What they should be doing and what they are doing are two different things. I’ve spoken to several pros, ex and current who have told me it’s human nature for players to pull out of tackles or not throw their head in if they’re coming up to the end of a contract
BeesPod - Best in Non League podcast 2023
https://linktr.ee/beespod

Member of Bring Barnet Back campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557502963938