Downhill Second Half Returns + Podcast

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
barnetpete

Re: Downhill Second Half Returns + Podcast

If the way Scotty was treated regarding his contract was unique then it maybe would be primarily about Scott’s hot head/out spoken attitude but sadly, imo, there are lots of examples of playing and non playing staff being treated in similar ways over the past couple of decades.

On and off the pitch TK has a business model that’s about paying the least wages, making money go the furthest. It’s a choice of the way to do it and keep costs down to a minimum but it doesn’t build loyalty and I am sure has a detrimental effect on signing some players. But if your attitude is; that there is always someone who will work in football, then you are happy with that and have a high staff rotation. The other way, would be treat and pay people a bit better and get staff loyalty. Sometimes it means we end up with large squads of average players and off the pitch must cost time and money in recruitment and you lose the knowledge every time, but does one outweigh the other.

To take a simple example, Look at the press / comms offices. The wages were maligned on here the other year. We go through a lot, many working for a year or two and going on to much bigger better roles, where no doubt the money is also better. It helps freshen up the comms but every time someone is starting from scratch, but TK has saved £££s as there is always someone new to come in. . Horses for courses, guess there is merits in both, but know which I’d choose. But then I hate the hassle of recruiting/training new staff! And I’m not the multimillionaire!!

PS. Downhill Second Half.... top top work, the interviews are great, keep it up.
Please consider donating, to help disadvantaged Children & Young People in Barnet, https://www.youngbarnetfoundation.org.uk/donate,
MCB

I was a young kid fresh out of college that year - loved the season as was living with friends and matchday was normally a boozy affair that involved the last train back from High Barnet.

But it's hilarious that my shite job at the time paid considerably more than a conference winning goalkeeper (£200 to £260 in the football league). Paying these kind of wages makes the success even more spectacular, Graz had already said he had been offered far more elsewhere, so probably Hendo was top earner, and not on a huge amount.

My issue with the comms role - yes, I understand the logic (but don't agree with it as a good comms team increases fan spend) but my issue with it was the morality of paying far under the London Living Wage when so many clubs (many below us) are committed to paying it to all staff. The revelation of TK being in the Sunday Times Rich List for me makes it more of an issue. The whole point of London Living Wage is that it ensures that people can LIVE. Paying under it may be legal, but in many cases you won't get the brightest most talented staff, but the ones who are most desperate, or can afford the job as they are living at home or priviliged.
Norfolkbee

MCB wrote:I was a young kid fresh out of college that year - loved the season as was living with friends and matchday was normally a boozy affair that involved the last train back from High Barnet.

But it's hilarious that my shite job at the time paid considerably more than a conference winning goalkeeper (£200 to £260 in the football league). Paying these kind of wages makes the success even more spectacular, Graz had already said he had been offered far more elsewhere, so probably Hendo was top earner, and not on a huge amount.

My issue with the comms role - yes, I understand the logic (but don't agree with it as a good comms team increases fan spend) but my issue with it was the morality of paying far under the London Living Wage when so many clubs (many below us) are committed to paying it to all staff. The revelation of TK being in the Sunday Times Rich List for me makes it more of an issue. The whole point of London Living Wage is that it ensures that people can LIVE. Paying under it may be legal, but in many cases you won't get the brightest most talented staff, but the ones who are most desperate, or can afford the job as they are living at home or priviliged.
Sadly it is all about dreams and perceptions. Take a minimum wage job in a supermarket and a life of struggle awaits, but secure (note difference of terminology) a similarly poor position (terminology again) in sport, politics or the media, then fame and riches will allegedly follow.
Unfortunately, it very often doesn't work that way and dreams don't put a roof over heads and food on the table. I spent 45 years in the media and saw many talented youngsters forced to find alternative employment because the salary didn't pay the Bill's, particularly in London.
john dockers shorts

Well done, really good listen.
erichitchmo

Thanks all for the comments so far, we’ve got plenty more to come including today’s episode with the scorer of the last ever goal at Underhill, Jake Hyde. Plenty of chat about his two spells at the club and playing with Edgar Davids.

https://downhillsecondhalf.podbean.com/ ... jake-hyde/
wearebees

Really enjoyed that, lots of great stories, thank you.
john dockers shorts

Have to say thats been my favourite listen so far. What a nice guy so honest. Thanks
jerroll

top drawer interview, from minute 1 Jake came over as a top bloke - really enjoyable listen.
PBBee

Great listen the Jake Hyde one! I notice he turns 30 today.
Psycho

Happy 30th birthday, Jake!

He's one of those players that seems to have been around forever. I thought he was older than that. Great goal poacher.
john dockers shorts

Just listened to strevens excellent stuff
erichitchmo

https://downhillsecondhalf.podbean.com/ ... hane-gore/

Next up on the podcast we have another title-winner in Shane Gore, and he gives us his memories of his two seasons with the club as well as the explanation from where that Welsh chant came from.

Thanks again to all for your positive comments so far. More guests to come in the following weeks.
jerroll

Keep up the good work.
ricardobee

Good stuff indeed, enjoyed listening to ex-players who blessed the turf at Underhill.
As for the way players and staff have been treated, well it said it all when so many were got rid as soon as the lockdown came into being.
erichitchmo

Cheers all. We thought we’d do a bonus episode this week and share some funny/awkward/embarrassing moments of when we’ve met players over the years. I’m sure you all have your own moments of bumping into a Barnet player and not being sure what to do or say as well, so why not have a listen to an episode simply titled...Birthday Card...

https://downhillsecondhalf.podbean.com/ ... hday-card/