Southend wants Currie

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
becbee

Re: Southend wants Currie

Roy57 wrote:
#Beebot wrote:I have no idea what efforts, if any, DC has made to find another job but he has every right to if he so wishes.

We don't know if he even has another contract offer on the table here so he has every right to look elsewhere. Even if he has been offered something, he's done more for us than we've done for him so he has every right to move on.
Totally agree. As far as we know TK has not offered DC a new or extended contract. So in a matter of weeks he would be out of a job. If this was anyone of us surely for your family's finicial safety you would be interested in any position especially ones close to were you live. He cannot wait till the last day of August for TK to let him know either way what was happening. TK could of stopped all this gossip by offering DC a new contract straight after the play offs. So for me this is more down to TK. Either he wants DC to carry on or not. But Darren deserved to be told either way. Nobody would wait till the very last minute to go wait for a possible offer from there employer.
We don't know what TK has told DC, you are merely speculating.
b4life

If speculation, rumour and gossip were an Olympic sport, Barnet fans would win gold, silver and bronze.

I really cannot get excited about any of this because there is sod all I can do about it. Would be nice to get it settled one way or the other though.
Mark Whitelegg
Chair - BFCSA1926
Norfolk & Chance

A vacuum is always filled.
Based on his "I never applied for the job" claim, I'm very confident DC will be staying put.
And that would be a very good thing indeed for us fans.
WhetstoneBee

The man is out of contract in a few weeks and was being linked with a job that in anyone's book would have been a significant promotion, as well as being much closer to his home. Why on earth would he *not* be interested in that job? And that's before you even factor in what he has had to deal with this year, and the blood and sweat that went into building a good squad of players, instilling what seemed to be one of the best team spirits we've had in a long time, and then seeing it all fall apart in front of your eyes because those players were either let go or didn't want to work for your employer any more. Apart from a quality goalkeeper, he will have to start almost completely from scratch for next season.

As I understand it the management team and others were made certain promises about individual player situations which were then not kept.

Without another job offer on the table I can see Darren staying and giving it his all, as he strikes me as that sort of man. But if a better job comes along then who can blame him for wanting to move, even if it is halfway through a season? Any manager would, and especially one who has had to deal with everything Darren has during his time here.

As for his brother, yes it's naive to assume that the conversation wouldn't be made public but there are some major overreactions on here. At worst he was too trusting with the Southend fan but who wouldn't be gutted that their brother wasn't offered a job at a bigger club in the league above, even if Darren himself wasn't expecting to get the job?
Norfolk & Chance

I'll be surprised if there are any Barnet fans at all that would begrudge DC from applying for the shrimpers job. Or any other bigger job come to that.
He's the most admired and respected guy we've had in charge for a very long time.
Their loss is hopefully our gain.
letchbee94

This is getting boring now, I thought Southend was supposed to appointing someone on Friday? (Saturday latest)

I Presume there must be a lot going on behind the scenes at our club with a contract for Currie (Or interviews for new manager)
simples169

or they are all still on holiday
Beesting

On their holidays?! They’ve just had three months off. Teams in our league have started playing pre-season friendlies. We need an update and clarity fast.
tonbridgebee

Norfolk & Chance wrote:And the fact HE called you (no disrespect) means he was clearly trying to get his message out via you that he was never interested in the job and hadn't gone for it.
We weren't born yesterday !
Each to their own opinion eh :hi:
tonbridgebee

DSM wrote:
tonbridgebee wrote:I have spoken with Darren this evening, very nice of him to pick up the phone and give me a call, measure of the man.

Quite understandably he's had a rough couple weeks from the play-offs to the Southend speculation and that was all it was, speculation, he was never going there. No idea why the bookies suspended the betting on him in his exact words, he hadn't even spoken to them.

Please keep the faith, will hopefully have some more news in the next couple of days.

PS He understands everyone's frustrations as well with other clubs signing players.

With respect, and I love the coverage you give us, I don’t buy that for a minute.

He is a constant communicator and has gone silent for the past 2 weeks.

He 100% would have taken the Southend job, better he be honest about it like Allen was rather than pretending otherwise.

I would still back him as manager if he stays but the halos been removed
Again each to their own opinion. I'm sure he would have taken the job had he been offered, who doesn't take a promotion at work? As Martin reminded us back in my first video interview, this is their job same as we have one.

As for the silence, I don't blame him after knowing and seeing the break up of a team that was on the cusp of being a few players short of very good, battery re-charging time, but thats just my opinion :whistle:
jonbonbaby

He needs a break like everyone else just because he managed the team we support doesn’t mean he should communicate to us whenever we demand it .
He probably needs time to think does he want to take on the challenge of a rebuild on a smaller budget , but probably a better budget than he had last year as he had a squad full of players he didn’t pick taking up most of the budget .

Or does he take his chances elsewhere , all this obviously depends on TK offering a new deal , I’m sure all will be told soon enough
To bee or not to bee

I think it’s marvellous that Darren Currie trusts tonbridgebee enough to keep us ordinary fans up to date with his thinking. Although there is clearly something about him Darren Currie is still a relatively inexperienced manager in my opinion. The ideal scenario would be for DC and TK to agree a sensible 2 year deal taking account of all the uncertainties we are living through. Then we all get behind them both, no ifs and no buts, and accept that next year we will see DC build a team in his image, probably with an extremely limited budget. There will be ups and downs and twists and turns and Barnet being Barnet it will be a rollercoaster ride. Then the next season we storm the tinpot league as champions and return to the promised land of League Two ‘hoof ball’. Either that or we are where we are and we’d better all get used to it.
jerroll

last season we reported for pre season end of June , season started 7th aug so 6 wk build up. As long as decision can be made by end of next week that would give 6 full weeks to build a team.
king45bee

Interesting article re budget at Wrexham. Helps to see what others are dealing with currently: https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/sport/1863 ... ue-season/

Southend still haven't confirmed anything. Their fan forum not impressed no decision made and even less so with the Redknapp angle. Glad DC may be staying has to be the best signing if he stays.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk