No money

Anything and everything related to Barnet FC
PBBee

Re: No money

MCB wrote:
PBBee wrote: On the other hand industries like the one I’m in have been whacked by the change, going from paying 50p per transaction to 0.4% is a huge increase when average card transactions are £700.

AMEX is widely accepted nowadays but the rates they charge retailers have always been horrendous & all it does is inflate prices.
Oh quite agree, I work in travel that has seen debit cards go from 40p to 2%, we've been smashed... we welcome people paying with AMEX at 1.7%.... our average transaction is over £2000 :Pardon:
That’s horrendous. For 1 year we were allowed to pass on the exact debit charge until certain firms started adding commission & they made it all illegal.

Surprised with those volumes a merchant acquirer wouldn’t offer better terms. The Visas of this world will be enjoying the swifter move away from cash than originally expected that’s for sure.
Pie

Hi - Notts fan here doing the rounds of the play off message boards. In respect of the topic it was interesting to note when visiting Halifax earlier in the year it was cash only !. Visiting fans were directed to the nearest cash point (Tesco). Be good to see you get to Meadow Lane if you can get past Yeovil.
letchbee94

Call me old fashioned but I prefer using cash you know where you are with cash and at if there was any technology failure you can still use your cash.
BeesKnees

One thing I don't want is bitcoin or any other energy intensive cryptocurrency.

It currently uses the same amount of electricity as the whole of Austria.
Mikel Bee

Miners tend to find locations where renewable energy is surplus and therefor very cheap so a most of that consumption is thankfully green.
BeesKnees

Mikel Bee wrote:Miners tend to find locations where renewable energy is surplus and therefor very cheap so a most of that consumption is thankfully green.
65% of mining occurs in China, the country with the highest coal use in the world. The next highest countries are USA, Russia and Kazakhstan. All heavy users of oil, gas and coal.

Even in countries like Norway and Sweden, that energy use prevents export to neighbouring countries like Germany and Poland who still require significant amounts of coal.

One thing it isn't is green.
beew

BeesKnees wrote:One thing I don't want is bitcoin or any other energy intensive cryptocurrency.

It currently uses the same amount of electricity as the whole of Austria.
Never could understand Bitcoin. I've read into several thesis into it but it may doesn't make sense. But then when you look at QE within the BOE neither does that!
Mikel Bee

BeesKnees wrote:
Mikel Bee wrote:Miners tend to find locations where renewable energy is surplus and therefor very cheap so a most of that consumption is thankfully green.
65% of mining occurs in China, the country with the highest coal use in the world. The next highest countries are USA, Russia and Kazakhstan. All heavy users of oil, gas and coal.

Even in countries like Norway and Sweden, that energy use prevents export to neighbouring countries like Germany and Poland who still require significant amounts of coal.

One thing it isn't is green.
Going very off topic here but the International Energy Agency estimates over 75% of the energy it uses comes from renewable sources.
Bitcoin mining facilities are concentrated in remote areas of China with rich hydro or wind resources (cheap electricity), with about 80% of Chinese bitcoin mining occurring in hydro-rich Sichuan province. These mining facilities may be absorbing overcapacity in some of these regions.
Globally, one analysis estimates that the bitcoin is powered by at least 74% renewable electricity as of June 2019. Another analysis of data from 93 mining facilities (representing 1.7 GW, or about a third of global mining capacity) estimates that 76% of the identified energy mix includes renewables.
https://www.iea.org/commentaries/bitcoi ... ed-the-gap

I'd hazard a guess it's more environmentally friendly than printing and constantly transporting cash and keeping banks and ATMs operating all around the world.
BeesKnees

Mikel Bee wrote:
Bitcoin mining facilities are concentrated in remote areas of China with rich hydro or wind resources (cheap electricity), with about 80% of Chinese bitcoin mining occurring in hydro-rich Sichuan province. These mining facilities may be absorbing overcapacity in some of these regions.
This argument is the equivalent of saying Scotland should mine crypto instead of transferring excess electricity to Merseyside and North Wales to reduce coal use.

Anyway.

Sorry for taking this off topic. No more from me.
Last edited by BeesKnees on 07 Jul 2020, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
hoofer2

I know many 70+ who will always use cash, and struggle with newer technology. Let's hope that going completely cordless will not lose some of our older supporters.

I make a point of paying for items in cash in solidarity of my older relatives who rely on cash purchases.
OB1
Location: Formerly Block C Underhill - Now block E East stand The Hive

Reckless wrote:Where is OB1 when you need him? Tell us that story when you first went to Underhill and paid with a white Fiver and the turnstile operator had an abacus.
I was never rich enough to possess a white fiver. In my early visits to Underhill you could pay for your admission, buy a programme, a crusty cheese roll and a cup of tea in a china cup and still get change out of a three penny bit.
Prediction League Champion 2019/2020
becbee

hoofer2 wrote:I know many 70+ who will always use cash, and struggle with newer technology. Let's hope that going completely cordless will not lose some of our older supporters.

I make a point of paying for items in cash in solidarity of my older relatives who rely on cash purchases.
Maybe it depends on who you know but the people I know who are in their 70s have no problem with contactless payments and current technology. My late father-in-law was in his late 80s and had no problem. Obviously we can't generalise and of course some older people may have problems like dementia - but most people in their 70s did use technology and computers in their working lives plus under lockdown have been using Zoom, Amazon etc just as much as younger people.
wiggy

I seem to recall as an 11-year-old raiding my parents massive whiskey jar full of 1 & 2p coins to fully pay for me & my friend Tim to watch the 4-1 home defeat v Macclesfield in September 1988. We had enough copper to take the 84a bus from Hampden Square to Underhill & back. I think it was roughly £1.25 to get into the game. We didn't head to the Main Stand - probably in fear of trying to hand over those coins to the elderly couple who used to steward up there! Don't remember much about the match - I think we scored an own goal (Eddie Gormley?)

Highlight of the day was probably the bag of chips we shared back in Hampden Square afterwards.
Yachtsman

OB1 wrote:
Reckless wrote:Where is OB1 when you need him? Tell us that story when you first went to Underhill and paid with a white Fiver and the turnstile operator had an abacus.
I was never rich enough to possess a white fiver. In my early visits to Underhill you could pay for your admission, buy a programme, a crusty cheese roll and a cup of tea in a china cup and still get change out of a three penny bit.
My first girlfriend had a lovely pair of threepenny bits.
JohnH
Reckless

Yachtsman wrote:
OB1 wrote:
My first girlfriend had a lovely pair of threepenny bits.
We know!