ShankBee

Re: The Hive

Travelling to Barnet - 30 mins

Travelling to Cannons Park - 1.15 mins

Choice - Cannons Park.

Let go somewhere we're wanted.
kingpinfid

If I still lived locally I would be against a move to the Hive - hence I can appreciate the resistance that does exist.

But I moved away years ago and whether I have to drive for 45 minutes or 1 hour to watch Barnet makes no significant difference to me. For the good of the club, I think we should move. It must be cheaper to operate one site rather than two, which hopefully would free up funds to be spent on the first team. Plus the greater size of the Hive will increase opportunities for proper catering, proper toilets, more corporate opportunities etc.
GRH

becbee wrote:The problem so far as I see it with a referendum is who do you ask/ how do you make the voting available?. How could the club ensure those people who actually attend matches at Underhill get the chance to vote? Also how do you ensure that people only vote once? By that I mean that the way the voting for Player of the Year is done leaves ample oportunity for multiple voting, that could happen with a referendum.
That is exactly the problem, although I think it's a moot point at I can't see a referendum ever taking place. If TK wanted it, he could have said that he would definitely allow one, rather than talking about it in the way that he did, which was in vague terms to say the least.

There is no appetite for a club in Barnet, either from the council or the population of the borough. I'm already on the Hive bandwagon, and I hope it starts moving soon.
curlybee

I live in Chavenage. I've supported the Bees since 1981 when I lived in Potters Bar.

I'll continue travelling to the games and will gladly go to the Hive!
jonbonbaby

its simple if we dont move we wont be able to bring in more money and we will be left even further behind than we already are. We have to move, and it shouldnt matter if joe bloggs cant have a drink in his or her favourite pub before the game or has to travel and little further.
PBBee

It seems the majority of us agree that although we may not want to leave our spiritual home and that it may become a lot more difficult travelling to the game and having a few beers etc we simply have to move. Such a shame Barnet council don't want us but I think this battle needs to end and we'll have to accept defeat.

I also really feel staying up is so important (obviously)as they're are teams in this league with dwindling crowds this season and if we could stay up and continue building for the future with the youths teams gaining in quality year on year we could have a bright future. Going down would be a huge blow in us planning for the future wherever that may be.
lfolfo

. For better or worse, the nature of the game now is that more people would like to watch top class football on TV (so many games shown, relatively cheap) than pay to watch poorer quality teams. I don’t really see this changing, wherever we play. Demand is also fairly inelastic with regards to how well we’re doing, type of football played etc. Even if we dropped our prices to £1 a game. I doubt we’d get more than another few hundred coming, maybe 1000 more max.. And £1 a week (let alone £15 at our current attendance) doesn’t pay for professional wages.

Moving ground is largely therefore, a red herring
BEE428

The Hive does look like the way forward for the club if it does want to kick on, and increase the fan base. Does anybody know realistically, if the move was given the go ahead, what kind of capacity stadium would be allowed on that site? A new stadium like Rotherham's will do!
Prediction League Champion 2012/13 & 2013/14
kingoffootball

stalker428 wrote:The Hive does look like the way forward for the club if it does want to kick on, and increase the fan base. Does anybody know realistically, if the move was given the go ahead, what kind of capacity stadium would be allowed on that site? A new stadium like Rotherham's will do!
Discussed here:

http://www.onlybarnet.com/forum/viewtop ... city#p2529

I'm not sure there's any suggestion we wouldn't be able to get the permission to expand above what we can already build, but I can't realistically see us needing anything bigger than that anyway.
Three-time Conference champions
kingpinfid

I think the planning permission was for a ground of roughly 5,200 (including 3,000 covered seats along the sides and 2,200 covered terracing behind the goals). Doesn't sound much, but lets be honest we struggle to attract 2,500 per game at the moment and we're unlikely to double that anytime soon!

Plus there is more space generally around the stadium site, so I guess it would be easier to expand than Underhill.
DerekRocholl

From recollection when TK first mentionned the referendum option it was along the lines of offering vote to stay at Underhill with the the constraints it places on the club ever progressing or choose to move to somehwere which gave us the potential to make progress - he also said if we voted for the former (and it would have been BFCSA members and season ticket holders who got to vote) he would hand over the club debt free for the supporters to run (or at least something along those lines).

For me the question of whether we should go to the Hive or not comes back to the underlying issue which is about having a stadium facility which is capable of supporting a club with aspirations to progress up the leagues. If the Hive offers a solution which would allow us in time to have a stadium with a capacity above 10,000 and facilities which can generate revenue outside of matchday ticket sales that are comparable to or betterthan clubs with similar ambitions I can very much see the point of moving there. If it doesn't it holds no appeal over staying at Underhill.
becbee

Handing over the club debt free for the supporters to run would then require the club to break even finincially or more likely for those supporters to put their own money into the club. It would requuire supporters who both had business acumen, free time and plenty of spare money. Do we have enough of such supporters? Not just for a few weeks but to keep going year in/ year out. I know I couldn't do it!

We could end up like AFC Bournemouth who set up a supporters trust but it didn't stop them ultimately going into administration and getting a 17 point deduction.
John_Carp1

I don't think anyone is arguing that if TK left and we stayed at Underhill the short term and potentially the long term could be very different from what we have now. The argument of the 'no move to the Hive' fans would be that the club currently represents the TOWN (not even the borough) of Barnet, and the majority of fans reside (or have resided) in or around that town. To move out of the town then takes away the identity of what the club is supposed to represent, regardless of where you live now.
Tony Kleanthous has not asked you your opinion on The Hive. This is because he doesn't care about your opinion. I think your opinion should matter.

Tony Kleanthous OUT.
kingpinfid

True - the club will lose some of its identity if it moves away from Barnet (town). I suppose the key question is whether the potential advantages of a move outweigh that partial loss of identity or not?
BeeBoi1980

We could of course go to the Hive on a temporary basis and move back to Barnet if/when possible. giving up on Barnet forever would be tough for some, but for a few years with the knowledge we are coming back, perhaps not so.